IGNORED

SIO2SD Fast selection method

Philsan

I think SIO2SD loader (v2.5) has the faster selection method of any other modern Atari storage device.

Numbers (1 -8) to select drive

Letters (A - S) to select file/atr

Space bar to quickly skip pages of 19 files/atr each (long filenames supported)

X to load

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibOa4wo_M0

I made a video (sorry for the low quality) to show the case of a file in 37th position.

With other loaders you have to use arrow keys many times or keep them pressed.

With this loader you press space bar (to quickly show next pages) and then the letter near the filename.

It would be nice if other modern storage devices (IDE+, SIDE, SDrive - if development still continues) could use this fast selection method too.

Most files I use are binaries, so I use PicoDos from Hiassoft. That is even faster.

I use Sio2USB (Abbuc) or Sio2IDE. For both devices I wrote a tool that makes it possible to save a device setting into a binary file.

So when I want to play summergames. I have a very small summgame.xex file. That one I select in Picodos, and after running it my Sio2IDE is setup with D1:SUMMGAMA.ATR and D2:SUMMGAMB.ATR

Then it reboots.

That is the fastest and most convenient way of using these devices.

Greetz

M.

Yes, but if I inderstand correctly, you have to prepare it for every game.

Not very practical for hundreds of games.

I have a folder with Atari programs on my PC that I use with emulators.

I only have to copy this folder to SD card.

Nothing else to do.

• 6 months later...

I think SIO2SD loader (v2.5) has the faster selection method of any other modern Atari storage device.

X to load

<snip video>

I made a video (sorry for the low quality) to show the case of a file in 37th position.

With this loader you press space bar (to quickly show next pages) and then the letter near the filename.

It would be nice if other modern storage devices (IDE+, SIDE, SDrive - if development still continues) could use this fast selection method too.

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you get to this loader? I see nothing in the SIO2SD docs on this. Or is this a separate program that is being loaded, kinda like the one I use for my uIEC (CBMBROWSER)?

I've been using the buttons and LCD for quite a while and would welcome the ability to choose files on-screen.

~telengard

Unfortunately many people don't know that with SIO2SD you can select files on-screen with a fast launcher that supports long files names.

I attach it but you can find it here (sio2sd.xex - configuration tool for version 2.5):

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SoftwareATARI_en

Put it in the root of your SD card.

The new v3.x firmware releases have new features and a powerful new launcher but are release candidates and documentation is in Polish.

sio2sd.xex

What if you had 200 disks on your HD, or 2,000? You really need a database for this kind of thing, or at least a hardcopy of your HD contents that is sorted by name (with long names). And, for data disks, a directory of the files so you can search for a disk name and/or a file name. I don't know about you, but I have lots of 'disks' that are named things like MOUSE_ASM_CODE_02/12/2012 and contain a dozen or more files. If I am looking for BMOUSE1?.ASM on one of these 'disks', I don't want to have to mount a whole series of MOUSE_ASM_CODE_xx/xx/xxxx 'disks' and list their directories.

Yes, it is fast, but you already know what and where you are looking, do you not? I don't know how people use big HDs with subdirectories on an Atari - do they have WHEREIS?

Bob

X to load

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibOa4wo_M0

Yes, it is fast, but you already know what and where you are looking, do you not? I don't know how people use big HDs with subdirectories on an Atari - do they have WHEREIS?

Yes. I use ICD's WHEREIS program when I need it. Not only does it search sub-dirs but it also spans all mounted drives.