IGNORED

Boulder Dash (R) Demo Release

Andrew Davie

I don't see a point why in 2011 would someone release a retail 2600 game... even with this "blockbuster" title.

Its because some people want to do it right even though its a legacy system. If you are a professional programmer e.g. it's your day job, then you really don't want a C&D on your CV.

Although the demo contains the "hardest" two caves -- Funnel (O) and Apocalypse (M), all of the caves have been implemented.

Here is a short video clip briefly showing each of the 16 caves... with a few bonus bugs :) The first 10 seconds of the video is corrupt because YouTube doesn't like my file format. But the rest is OK. I'm working on a few last-minute speed improvements, colour changes, and bug-fixes. Not long now...

• Like 7

This is amazing! Great work. If a cart is released I will buy it immediately!

I have played countless hours of Boulder Dash on the Amstrad CPC. I wasn't expecting the 2600 version to be so close to the original version. I'm blown away by how good it looks and the scrolling is perfect.

This looks absolutely amazing! It's a shame it's a finished game, and isn't being released. BD 2600 would be an honourable port of one of my favourite ever games.

Put me down for a PAL copy if FirstStar ever pull the silver spoon from their asses.

Harmony only supports up to 4K of RAM with the 3E bank switching format. As I recall Boulder Dash uses much more RAM than that.

I tried it on my Krok Cart and it's flakey. Sometimes hitting fire starts a round, other times it goes back to the initial splash screen. When I die, it either crashes or goes back to the splash screen.

Hi Andrew, Hi Thomas!

Great work here, and it's good to see the project on the homestretch. I loved the effects on the title screen. I played the demo a little today and found it FUN!!!

Now I'll have to get my Krok cart mailed to me from my old place, but it will take quite a while due to Canada Post's mail backlog. :(

Great job, brilliant conversion!!!! :D

Cheers,

Jeff

Gentlemen, this is SO well done! Another feather in your respective caps.

Demo or not, I'm sure you'll understand when I say IT NEEDS A BOX!!

If this demo is the end of the story, so be it. But I am curious to know if, in your dealings with First Star, they ever told you what else they would intend to do with the game other than release it, whether it be through retail (unlikely, I know) or through "hobby channels" (namely, this community we are all enthusiastic participants in).

Back in the day, I was able to acquire Boing! directly from First Star simply by writing a letter. The response I received was friendly and helpful, and it gave me the impression the company was just as eager to share it's game as I was to play it. In fact, included with Boing! was a "reward" card from Fernando Herrera, head of the company, encouraging the recruitment of game and educational software programmers. I suspect I speak for the whole community when I say it is fair to hope that the people or person the two of you have dealt with (Fernando himself perhaps?) have the same willingness to share as those I corresponded with in June of 1984.

In the mean time, THANKS for yet another awesome contribution!

• Like 1

Why does it not work with harmony cart?

I think that was answered 4 posts above yours:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/184812-boulder-dash-r-demo-release/page__st__25__p__2325993#entry2325993

Harmony only supports up to 4K of RAM with the 3E bank switching format. As I recall Boulder Dash uses much more RAM than that.

It's running pretty good. Perhaps a little foo fast, but no complaints. Sadly you have not that original music, that was composed years ago here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/119608-boulder-dash-music/page__view__findpost__p__1462523

I mean the first one, not the second one which is out of tune.

The second is out of tune but the first one too blippy and IMO there are too many "creative changes" for what should be an authentic recreation. BD music has a strict formula, as mentioned here: http://www.elmerproductions.com/sp/peterb/sounds.html

I followed this formula using DPC+ and this is the result. Sounds a bit better on Harmony than Stella.

BD_DPC+.bin

Thanks for the explanation.

It works with Stella on the Wii so I have been able to play it on a TV with a console, even if it's not a 2600.