IGNORED

Controller Mod

PAC-MAN-RED

A quick mod of a Genesis controller I did. Just thought I'd share this further. :)

I Originally posted it here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/169238-free-sprites-for-the-taking/page__view__findpost__p__2327967

I call it the MegaMan Mod, and if you read through the the above post you'll know why. :)

post-26314-0-47390300-1311262676_thumb.jpg

The first 2 buttons, Fire(B) and Jump(A), are in the NES configuration with the ALT-button replacing the C-Button. B-Button is the original 2600 fire button, A-Button is UP on the 2600 Joystick, and the ALT-Button is DOWN on the 2600 Joystick. The ALT-Button also provides one combo button press, impossible through normal means, UP + DOWN together. :o Which might be programmable in Batari Basic or maybe assembly? In any case, I hope it's viable.

The soldering is a little above NOVICE because of the small traces. However, you can improve your chances of success greatly by using a 45W iron(30W will do, but I prefer 45W), single strand wire as thin as you are comfortable using or can find, and silver solder. NOTE: Inside the Genesis 3 Button controller there is a large rectangular shaped piece of plastic around the Start button that may have to be trimmed a bit, so be careful.

Here's a list of games that use UP as Jump and will work immediately with this mod:

Moon Patrol

Sorcerer(Mythicon)

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle

Frogs & Flies - I tested this one myself and oddly enough it supports all 3 buttons!

Kung Fu Master

Kangaroo

Swordquest: Earthworld

I'm sure there's more, but this was all I could find.

Illya

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED

Hey, cool idea. The kind that seems so obvious in hindsight, but clearly wasn't or it'd have been done before. Sounds like it'd make Mountain King work a little better.

I bet you can get some interesting behaviors out of VCS games with up&down simultaneously.

Edited by Rex Dart

I bet you can get some interesting behaviors out of VCS games with up&down simultaneously.

Like this weird glitch I found at this site: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~awwatkin/ATARI/2600/2600cheat.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ms. Pac-Man [2600] Atari

Press up & down at the same time. Ms. Pac-Man will go left and get

stuck in a wall.

Let the game enter the demo mode, then play with Game Select. The

monsters will appear and disappear as they move around, depending on

the difficulty that's currently selected. Useless, but amusing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Illya

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.:) I knew that those high school electronics classes would be useful one day. :D

With the this controller mod, I wanted something dead simple so that even someone with rudimentary electronics skills could understand it. No ICs, capacitors, resistors, or extra components of any kind. Also, after doing research in the forums, I found that there were people that didn't mind Up on the controller being Jump, and those that outright hated this idea in both official and home-brew releases... this design satisfies both. ;)

Illya