IGNORED

3 Atari 8-bit Hard Drive images for SDrive, etc.

kheffington

Being unable to locate downloadable hard drive images for personal use with nicely formatted long file names, I made three to use.

Download links in this post are for the three Atari 8-Bit 16MB hard disk images containing a little over 2,200 games. Disk images are in MyPicoDos405 format and have been set up with long file names. These were made for use with SDrive but do work with Atari 8-bit Emulators and should work with MyIDE and SIO2SD devices.

Games were tested on an SDrive with an Atari 130XE. As there are over 2,200 games; testing was somewhat rudimentary. Testing consisted of loading each game, starting the game and briefly playing it (not extensive play test). A game was included if no problems were noted in this brief period of testing. A few of the games require OSb and are so noted in the long file names by [OSb]. A few require more than 64k of ram and are noted by having the minimum ram noted in brackets in the names [128k] etc.

There is additional space for approximately 400 additional games in the three hard disk images but I have run out of COM or XEX files that work. I am looking for more and will probably update the images at some point.

There are Excel and Text files in each archive of the games in that archive.

GAMES A-F

Games G-P

Games Q-Z

Edited by kheffington
  • Like 22

Yes, one more bump for kheffington, for being THE MAN (proverbially) and sharing this AWESOME compilation. Talk about a project!!!!! Excellent, excellent, excellent.

I was wanting to get into doing something like this, never seemed to get to it, and I'm certain I could not have done a better job.

UhOh... a8isa1's Large Game ATR rule seems to be over! :D

I can't take much credit for the set I've been posting. Al3ph (over at Atarimax forums) did all the hard work. I just compacted five ATRs down to four so that I could mount them all at once on SDrive. (I even keep one SD card configured to boot straight to MyPicoDOS so I don't have to waste 30 seconds selecting ATRs. How lazy is that?)

I did change a few things, though. The version of MyPicoDOS was changed to one with 3X SIO (6X available if you have Hias' beta firmware in your SDrive) and I also updated the games with about 100-120 addition over the past year.

There's a total of 3,158 games on the four ATRs now. I don't think there are any duplicates but there are many games with multiple revisions. The updates are not complete. I tended to add what interested me and didn't document a thing :(

Except for the additions and having to reorder 3 or 4 subdirectories (63 file limit of MyDOS is a PITA, btw!) everything is as I got it.

I have to say the extra comments/notations in Keffington's ATRs and the extra documentation make his set superior.

One thing though, where's Yoomp!? I gotta have Yoomp!!! (NTSC Yoomp!)

My set of ATRs can be found here. (I will continue to update them in my own haphazard way but this is probably the last time I will announce them).

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 3

There are a few hiccups in the 3 ATR images that I posted, I am aware of them and it is something that is still being worked on and added to. They will be updated but that could awhile. I decided to go ahead and share it in the current state as it is fairly usable as it is.

I have managed to get a fresh batch of COM files that have some games in them that the other sets I had did not have. Usable ones out of the new batch will be added into the HD images.

There is also the issue of PAL only games. There are some of the PAL releases that were included because they seemed to run okay in NTSC. There were other PAL games that either would not run or the screen bounced continually that were left out.

More than likely all working PAL games will be added in too as I sometimes use emulators anyway and then it is not an issue. I have not decided if it would be better to just include them and mark them in the long file names with [PAL] or to insert them in one or more directories labeled as PAL.

Currently a database with screen shots is being worked on that contains more information. It is being done in OpenOffice/Libre Office base to make it usable without having to have proprietary software to access it. It is currently a flat database file with little more information added in than the long file names contain. There are about 40 with screen shots in it. The link to it is below if you want to take a look at it or want to make suggestions for what it should contain.

database file

Yoomp! (NTSC) has been added to the Q-Z drive.

Edited by kheffington
  • Like 1

I'm fine with games now, but I really wish somebody could create an ATR filled with all the good demos that work in NTSC. 80% of the demos I've tried are PAL only.

There is also the issue of PAL only games. There are some of the PAL releases that were included because they seemed to run okay in NTSC. There were other PAL games that either would not run or the screen bounced continually that were left out.

I've found a few games in your ATRs that didn't work at all. Airwolf is one. (can't remember the others at the moment)

I've found a few games in your ATRs that didn't work at all. Airwolf is one. (can't remember the others at the moment)

As said there are a few glitches but not too many. I noticed a couple of PAL games that seemed to somewhat work that need to be removed.

Airwolf does work at least for me on a 130XE computer. It looks like it doesn't work at first. The Title screen comes up and just sits on the screen. You need to hit the START button to continue loading the game, that apparently is the way the game was programmed.

There also other games that require you to hit the SPACE BAR to continue loading. That is one of the reasons more documentation is needed.

Airwolf does work at least for me on a 130XE computer. It looks like it doesn't work at first. The Title screen comes up and just sits on the screen. You need to hit the START button to continue loading the game, that apparently is the way the game was programmed.

No, that's not the problem. The game starts and I hear helicopter noises, but the helicopter is invisible and there is corruption in the corner. It doesn't really matter. I can probably just delete it myself. (and "Blue Thunder" seems to be the same game - and it works)

I only mentioned it because you were talking about only including usable games.

So I got a SIO2USB when they first came out and have never used it but testing it once - I tried to do this same thing you created with MyIDE and MyDOS and it was a dismal failure between 64 file limits and MyIDE corrupting my partitions.

After seeing this I went digging through my stuff and it took 4 digs before I found it -updated the firmware and loaded these ATRs. Great work and thanks!

Funny - having all this in one place makes the directories almost intimidating since there is so much!

I can verify that the corrected Gorf file does work :)

The hard drive images have been updated. There are now 2,800 in 4 HD images. The links are below.

Some PAL only games have been separated into a directory of there own on Disk 4. I expect to add more PAL only games to that disk image. There are some PAL games in the mix on the other disks but they were left as they appear to work ok on NTSC.

I expect to be able to add more games overall but that is probably at least a month from now.

Atari HD Image Disk 1

Atari HD Image Disk 2

Atari HD Image Disk 3

Atari HD Image Disk 4

Here is a list of the games in Excel and Text formats

Atari HD Games.zip

Edited by kheffington
  • Like 5