IGNORED

ColecoVision A.E. - Unreleased

NIAD

As I mentioned in the thread concerning the huge lot of CV&ADAM goodies I acquired from a former Coleco employee, I came across a rom dump of the ColecoVision version of A.E. on a data pack made with the In-House Coleco Cart Copier program. As many of you know, A.E. was only made available on a compilation data pack for the ADAM called "The Best of Broderbund", which also included Choplifter.

I have converted the data pack to an ADAMem compatible DDP Image file and have given it a pretty thorough testing. Everything seems to be in order with the exception of a sound effects bug (enemy ship explosions) that are corrected after you lose a ship. The reason for a DDP Image file instead of a Disk Image file is that the Coleco Cart Copier creates a non-standard media without a directory and there are about 10 games in all on the original DDP that would overrun a 160K Disk.

I have created a ROM Image for use with CV emulators as well on a real CV via the AtariMax SD Cart, but in the conversion some further issues have arisen (corrupted graphics and lock-ups) and I will have to try the transfer again. If this second attempt fails, we'll have to wait to see if one of the Homebrew programmers can fix the issues and provide a good/clean rom image.

If these issues are fixed, CollectorVision will be producing a run of cartridges complete with a box (which looks fantastic!) and manual and after they are sold out... the good rom image will be made available for free. So keep your fingers crossed that these issues can be resolved.

Following are some screenshots and the DDP Image for use with ADAMem / Virtual ADAM.

post-25956-0-20497700-1311820162_thumb.png

post-25956-0-20333500-1311820167_thumb.png

post-25956-0-05658100-1311820172_thumb.png

post-25956-0-50131200-1311820176_thumb.png

post-25956-0-50331000-1311820183_thumb.png

A.E. - 256K DDP.zip

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 4

A little update... I finally got the rom file pulled from the DDP Image correctly and have reinserted the code to display the ColecoVision BIOS title screen. All that is left is for the two sound effects bugs to be fixed and some further testing after which we'll be good to go for a CIB release! :D

• Like 4

A little update... I finally got the rom file pulled from the DDP Image correctly and have reinserted the code to display the ColecoVision BIOS title screen. All that is left is for the two sound effects bugs to be fixed and some further testing after which we'll be good to go for a CIB release! :D

:thumbsup: Awesome news! Very cool! :)

Very nice! I would also like to see this on a cartridge.

:)

It's all up to Retroillucid now as far as a CIB cartridge release. The two sound effects bugs are going to be looked into by Daniel Bienvenu/NewColeco. Hopefully he will be able to fix them without having to spend a lot of time on it since he is so busy with other projects, but if there is no easy remedy, Retroillucid and I feel that the game is still in a good enough state to warrant a CIB cart release.

Actually, I hope the next time I play it is when I plug the real cartridge into a CV as I am burnt out on the game! :roll:

I was able to patch the sound issue, and I've done it by changing 5 bytes in the rom file and add 12 more bytes at the end (the patch itself).

During my investigation on this ROM file, I've noticed that RST $8 is set to call an outside routine that is certainly related to some codes of the Best of Broderbund compilation. If RST $8 is not used anywhere in the ROM file, then I declare the ROM file ready to be published.

rst08:
jp	L2C56
rst10:
ret

I should have worked on Lock'n Chase sounds, so excuse me if it takes me time. I have to stop working on A.E., but it was fun to do.

EXTRA : I've noticed all the free space and I think it can be used to show a splash screen of our own if we want to, something like the intro screen from the Apple II version could be nice I guess. The NMI is made in sush a way that we can check a flag to be synchronized with the refresh rate and show an animation while enabling the NMI properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H-_Y5AX8lU

NMI:
jp	L8062
L8062:
push	af
ld	a,(X702B)
set	7,a
ld	(X702B),a
bit	0,a
jr	z,L8072
pop	af
retn

The modifications to add a title splash screen.

First, of course, change the Start Address to run code to the end of the ROM file.

800A : $C40C

Code for a splash screen should start by setting to $01 the byte @ $702B, turn off sound and init the VDP properly (turn off screen, no NMI, set video mode, update VRAM, then show screen). Then enable NMI and loop on the flag

loop:
ld	a,(X702B)
bit	7,a
jr	z,loop
ld	a,1
ld	(X702B),a

; update VRAM for the animation then go back to the loop if no fire button detected
... you can figure out the rest of the code to do

And all you need to do to go back to the original code is call for MODE_1, turn off sound (if you played any) and jump for $8221 and that's pretty much it.

• Like 3

I was able to patch the sound issue, and I've done it by changing 5 bytes in the rom file and add 12 more bytes at the end (the patch itself).

During my investigation on this ROM file, I've noticed that RST $8 is set to call an outside routine that is certainly related to some codes of the Best of Broderbund compilation. If RST $8 is not used anywhere in the ROM file, then I declare the ROM file ready to be published.

Nice work, Daniel! :D

+1 for you!

... whenever this gets produced (fingers crossed)!

It will! ;)

The front of the box is done, the rest is piece of cake

Label will be made this weekend or next week

I already have the ADAM "Best of Broderbund" so it'll be easy to make the A.E. manual (I've done some works on the manual already)

So expect to get your CIB copy of A.E. soon :)

Any thoughts on price yet? I might have to chip in for this one!!

The front of the box is done, the rest is piece of cake

Label will be made this weekend or next week

I already have the ADAM "Best of Broderbund" so it'll be easy to make the A.E. manual (I've done some works on the manual already)

So expect to get your CIB copy of A.E. soon :)

Edited by jblenkle

I was able to patch the sound issue, and I've done it by changing 5 bytes in the rom file and add 12 more bytes at the end (the patch itself)........

Thank you so very much for your work on correcting the sound bug and the further information on how to go about possibly adding further title/splash screens. Sorry to hear that this little project sidetracked you from further work on Lock'n Chase since I, as many others probably are, can't wait for this game to be finished and released.

If I come across anything else while I'm sorting through the rest of the stuff... I'll hold off on bugging you! Nah, just kidding, I'll send it to you right away! :P

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this old thread, but since the ROM was just released I was wondering if this version is any different than the one on the Best of Broderbund? The only difference I see is that this one can run on a regular Colecovision where that other one needs an ADAM.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but since the ROM was just released I was wondering if this version is any different than the one on the Best of Broderbund? The only difference I see is that this one can run on a regular Colecovision where that other one needs an ADAM.

This version that I found, was released by CollectorVision on cartridge and now freely available for download in rom format (like I requested... thanks J-F) is the exact same version that was released on Data Pack by Coleco for the ADAM Computer. There is even code in the game that is specific to the ADAM Computer as NewColeco pointed out, but it does not harm anything.