IGNORED

SDrive NUXX Orders Begin 04-Aug-2011 @ 14:00 EDT

c0nsumer

Thanks for all the orders and kind words, everyone! And also, thank you for being patient with the international ordering mistake early on.

I just finished going through everything in Google Checkout and copying relevant info to a spreadsheet so I can start labeling boxes, and as of the moment of this post there were 23 complete SDrive NUXXs and 9 PCB/Panel/uC kits sold today. That means there's only 7 complete SDrives NUXXs and 11 kits left available.

I'm planning on getting these labeled for shipping this weekend (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) and I'm hoping to get them all to the post office on Monday morning. You will each receive a confirmation note once shipment has occurred. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask here, via PM, or directly via email to c0nsumer@nuxx.net.

Thanks again!

-Steve

After I ordered, I was wondering if it went through (sold out? etc.?)

So I added 30 to my cart, and went to checkout and although I didn't continue and actually charge the $4500 (hah), it didn't "error" on me!

Hmmmmm......sold out, or "in before the lock?"

:)

Ha! When testing out the cart I'd occasionally order 1000. It doesn't balk.

Using Google Checkout is surprisingly nifty. All I had to do was make a super-basic static HTML page, include some JS that has arguments to tie back to my checkout account, and use a couple special div and span tags, and it Just Works. Shipping is a bit hard to do (this is why there's the international shipping option as a special item), but for what's essentially a buy-it-now button it's super easy. Google's CC fees are competitive with anything a tiny merchant like I could find for online stuff, and it's NOT PayPal. Google actually acts like a real credit card processor. :D

Just put my order in...

I put a calendar reminder in my Work calendar. Work calendar ate it! I hope I'm not to late.

Nope! You'll get one, and I've got you on the list. You have been assigned order sequence number 28. :D It should go out in the mail by this coming Monday.

For those outside Europe who have ordered the kit and would like to get the rest of the parts, except for the SIO port, in a single order.

Digikey does stock the 1455L1201 enclosure in clear coated aluminum, sku# HM894-ND. The black enclosure is also available but isn't stocked, sku# 1455L1201BK-ND.

For those outside Europe who have ordered the kit and would like to get the rest of the parts, except for the SIO port, in a single order.

Digikey does stock the 1455L1201 enclosure in clear coated aluminum, sku# HM894-ND. The black enclosure is also available but isn't stocked, sku# 1455L1201BK-ND.

Thanks for that.

I actually had to order the enclosures from Mouser to get them in black. No idea why Digi-Key doesn't carry them in both colors. I do think it's worth the extra order myself, but there really is some appeal to the silver enclosure as well.

Thanks for that.

I actually had to order the enclosures from Mouser to get them in black. No idea why Digi-Key doesn't carry them in both colors. I do think it's worth the extra order myself, but there really is some appeal to the silver enclosure as well.

While Digikey doesn't stock them in black, they can be ordered if you're willing to wait 2 to 3 weeks. For the 30 you ordered you got free shipping from Mouser but for only 1 or 2 the shipping fee increases the cost, especially for those of us who don't live in the US.

I just wanted to let people know that they could get the enclosure through Digikey if they wanted to consolidate their order to save some money on shipping, although it would delay the order if they wanted it in black.

While Digikey doesn't stock them in black, they can be ordered if you're willing to wait 2 to 3 weeks. For the 30 you ordered you got free shipping from Mouser but for only 1 or 2 the shipping fee increases the cost, especially for those of us who don't live in the US.

I just wanted to let people know that they could get the enclosure through Digikey if they wanted to consolidate their order to save some money on shipping, although it would delay the order if they wanted it in black.

Actually, it was $15+ in shipping from Mouser, but that wasn't terrible. The box was rather large and fairly heavy.

And yes, I forgot about the ordering and not living in the States. Hmm.

A bit sooner than planned, all domestic (US) SDrive NUXX orders as of this post's date and time have shipped. All packages are now sitting in the post office's drop box and Delivery Confirmation numbers have sent out via Google Checkout.

International orders will be packaged tomorrow and dropped off at the post office on Monday.

Thanks again for your orders!

Edited by c0nsumer
  • Like 1

IMG_6225.jpg

All currently outstanding international orders are packed and labeled; they will be dropped off at the post office on Monday morning.

The image above shows all that remains of SDrive NUXX stock. That's ten (10) kits and four (4) assembled units. If you're wanting to get either now is a good time to order, as I imagine there will be a slight rush once the first shipment arrives and people post about them.

Edited by c0nsumer

I must say, I am tempted to turn some of the kits into assembled devices...

You probably should. I don't know much about business, but I'll speculate in ignorance, anyway.

What's unique about this product (Sdrive NUXX) is that it's reveled by hardcore enthusiasts and "lightweights" alike. I should think a hardcore A8 devotee wouldn't want to be without one, yet the device is super-easy to use (I think more-so than SIO2SD) and the professional casing is universally appealing, as well. Aside from the expense, it's a smorgasbord of "yummy." As well, you've proven yourself more than once now to come through with product (with flying colors), be true-to-your-word, and ship immediately, so there is no hesitation to order from you.

Obviously, a part of the reason why these sold so well (quickly) is it's been a long time since the first production run, which (of course) was so favorably-received. There was pent-up demand; you wouldn't move another 30 so quickly again (well, not yet, anyway). However, as there are retro-enthusiasts continually re-entering the "sport" of Atari8, there is always SOME demand, for a product like this. It would be nice to be able to point to you (at any time) and say "you can get one of these here, from this dude." There's another place on the web that sells cased Sdrive, but I don't think they're too steady - parts availability, and all. So now I'm reiterating what I said earlier - that perhaps my business ignorance shows. Maybe there's not enough demand? But places like Atarimax specialize in what they do all the time, and one has to wonder if, as well, you could not specialize in what you do, all the time. Perhaps not, but I'd go ahead and turn those kits into completed devices, in a few days. Maybe there's not really the economics to keep trickling them out - nickel-diming you with your time and attention, etc. But a production run every 1 to 2 years sure seems to be working!

The comments about the SIO2SD and the pass-through SIO port. It seems it may be quite expensive. One thing that would be a nice addition to this existing Sdrive NUXX would be a Y-splitter to stick in the back. In the past, places like CSS sold something called "The Quintopus"......

quint.gif

Here's a mention from ANTIC MAGAZINE 1989.

This sounds nice, but it is rare, probably expensive if it was available, HUGE extra SIO cords needed, overkill for most people, etc. etc. etc.

What I'd like is a small 3-way, with ONE male to plug into back of Sdrive NUXX (where it shall remain) and 2 female jacks, one to plug the SIO cord into that you're using (that you needed anyway) with Sdrive NUXX and an open pass-thru port. So one SIO plug, 2 SIO jacks, and some way to tie them together. A pro (not me!) could maybe make something like this? Something small, with a very short SIO cable to the plug (if any at all). I would think this would sell to more than a few Sdrive NUXX customers? Just something I wish for, that could be optional and not add to cost or change of design of Sdrive NUXX but be very, very useful.

Edited by wood_jl

-Clip-

The comments about the SIO2SD and the pass-through SIO port. It seems it may be quite expensive. One thing that would be a nice addition to this existing Sdrive NUXX would be a Y-splitter to stick in the back. In the past, places like CSS sold something called "The Quintopus"......

-Clip-

What I'd like is a small 3-way, with ONE male to plug into back of Sdrive NUXX (where it shall remain) and 2 female jacks, one to plug the SIO cord into that you're using (that you needed anyway) with Sdrive NUXX and an open pass-thru port. So one SIO plug, 2 SIO jacks, and some way to tie them together. A pro (not me!) could maybe make something like this? Something small, with a very short SIO cable to the plug (if any at all). I would think this would sell to more than a few Sdrive NUXX customers? Just something I wish for, that could be optional and not add to cost or change of design of Sdrive NUXX but be very, very useful.

A simpler way would be to solder an SIO cable with only one plug internally to the SDRIVE NUXX, leaving the existing SIO port available for daisy-chaining. The inside cable end would have to be secured and the back panel could be notched out next to the SIO port opening.

I have an old SIO to RS-232 converter that uses a similar arrangement, both the SIO and serial port cables attach to a circuit board which also has an SIO port for daisy-chaining.