IGNORED

HSC8 Round 13: Donkey Kong Jr

Donkey Kong Jr

Take the default options, starting on level 1.

DK Jr is quite a tough game but rewarding once you work out the harder screens (lots of practice required!) .

You can practice the first board on Level 0 to get the hang of it!

Bonus Points

• 1pt for beating the HSC record of 104,200 held by RJ (anyone know of him?)
  • Highest score for level 1 in 1 man (yes both screens) 3pts for top, 2pts for 2nd, 1pt for 3rd-5th places

You're going to love this...

Bonus Game Kong requires BASIC (oh no you say... oh yes :D )

Press option to checkout the story & instructions, your wife has been kidnapped... hey maybe it's for the best :evil:

Scoring 3pts for 1st, 2pts for 2nd, 1pt for other places.

2nd Bonus Game Banana

Scoring 2pts for 1st, 1pt for other places.

Games finish on Sunday 14th August 10am BST

I think I was once decent at this game (for me), but I'm not sure. I used to borrow the cart from a friend back in the day (he had everything).

That KONG (basic) game is not too bad. It kind of reminds me of those old Coleco Tabletop games. Someone should convert it to TB and add some new levels. I will say, it took me several lives just to get the timing right to jump over the first barrel. Then, I never saw another. Anyone know where this game came from? Type-in? Very curious.

I think I was once decent at this game (for me), but I'm not sure. I used to borrow the cart from a friend back in the day (he had everything).

That KONG (basic) game is not too bad. It kind of reminds me of those old Coleco Tabletop games. Someone should convert it to TB and add some new levels. I will say, it took me several lives just to get the timing right to jump over the first barrel. Then, I never saw another. Anyone know where this game came from? Type-in? Very curious.

I don't know much about it, I checked the code but no credits here either. I just thought it was fun and should please Marius (if he shows up!) as he is a BASIC fan too :) I think the Kong music pretty darn good.

If anyone does want to improve the game, or add some more screens that would be cool, and would earn you a few bonus points (or bananas hmmm), press break and type list to get started HSC JR programmers, I'll help you out :cool:

p.s. I've updated the 1st post re bonus games and points etc :!:

I'll kick things off for the Kong bonus game: 44,300!

post-9712-0-48037300-1312150580_thumb.png

I think there's a serious issue with this game, though. By the time I got to level 3, the game started going through color cycling (as if the game was left idle for an extended period of time.) Notice in the screenshot that the title screen isn't green. As a result, the ladders became invisible. It made the 3rd board next to impossible to play because you can't see the gap that moves up and down the ladders, which end up killing you as a result.

I'm going to try again and see if it happens again.

By the way, how do you "break" with Altirra?

EDIT: Yes, the colors seem to cycle after so much time, no matter how many times you start over. However, I found (in Altirra, anyway) that pressing 'Esc' returns the screen to normal and you can keep playing. Enjoy!

Edited by Deteacher

I started a game of DK Jr and quickly turned it off. :( How do you jump in KONG? I've tried every stick direction and fire button and the little guy just doesn't jump. :?

Should be the fire button. I played it with Altirra and keyboard controls.

I'll try keyboard control next. If that doesn't work, then something's wrong with my copy.

Funny, score from earlier was from work. I played it when I got home ... exact same score. Interestingly, I got a lot further in the game at work than at home.

Scratch that. 46500 at home. Not taking a pic, because I plan to play some more.

22700 - the 3rd screen is touchy on the jump/grab vine. Twice I jumped and 'walked' into the water. Anyone know the secret to get the 'bouncy' thing to push you to the 2nd platform?

I don't bother trying that. I just go the longer/safer way. :)

New scores to submit:

High Score: 49,000! Almost made it to the sparks level (which I've never actually played before.)

post-9712-0-97053600-1312248258_thumb.png

First level high score: 17,700! I got real lucky with the apples on the keys level.

post-9712-0-08139600-1312248270_thumb.png

Kong: 68,050! Looks like it doesn't get any harder after level 4.

post-9712-0-92657700-1312248280_thumb.png

Edited by Deteacher

22700 - the 3rd screen is touchy on the jump/grab vine. Twice I jumped and 'walked' into the water. Anyone know the secret to get the 'bouncy' thing to push you to the 2nd platform?

I think it's just about timing. You need to press jump when you're bouncing back up. If you miss, you can back up and try again, but don't waste too many bonus points. I don't think it really helps much anyway, but the super jump looks cool.

I think it's just about timing. You need to press jump when you're bouncing back up. If you miss, you can back up and try again, but don't waste too many bonus points. I don't think it really helps much anyway, but the super jump looks cool.

:thumbsup:

I was going to ask about this as I did once, but only once (missed it though!)... will have another try tomorrow. My hints are to try and wait for platforms to move near and stand with your feet together before jumping. Ok Banana is a bit duff for a bonus game as you struggle to make it back for the next catch, but Kong is ok. The 'attract' mode colour cycling just needs a key pressing ever so often. With DK Jr the jumping is really annoying :x but the game is very addictive so that's good ;) [definitely one that could be recoded to make it more playable :ponder: ]

Today's scores

DJ Jr 56,300 post-19705-0-42419600-1312319752_thumb.jpg

1st level (1 man) 15,100

Kong 10,250 post-19705-0-94639600-1312319742_thumb.jpg

Banana 310 post-19705-0-93425500-1312319735_thumb.jpg

p.s. score for blucat 2,800 on DK Jr.