IGNORED

I´ve got email from ATARI today...

pps

I'm actually rather curious myself why Atari have a renewed interest in all this now. So often, i've hear on their forums, "Atari is an entirely different company now than the old Atari". I don't see the point in this action. It'll just end up killing off the older systems for good. The only reason they are still alive is because of sites like this and the enthusiasts such as us all.

Unless they have some plan to release some new console on the unsuspecting public which I very much doubt.

I'm actually rather curious myself why Atari have a renewed interest in all this now. So often, i've hear on their forums, "Atari is an entirely different company now than the old Atari". I don't see the point in this action. It'll just end up killing off the older systems for good. The only reason they are still alive is because of sites like this and the enthusiasts such as us all.

Unless they have some plan to release some new console on the unsuspecting public which I very much doubt.

Whilst you might have a point there, i don't think sites like this (and any site focused on bushnells/warners or tramiels ATARI) has any interest in the current ATARI company

• Like 1

I just registered a domain name -

boycottatari.com

When I get back from a long weekend in the Hamptons I will do something with it. Atari doesn't scare me at all...

If Atari went after atari2600.org what is stopping them from going after atari2600.com.

And if they so badly want atari2600.org, why is "atari2600.us" still available? Or is a .us domain not interesting for Atari? Maybe you can register that one too and link it to boycottatari.com :D

Robert

It's not available anymore. :)

• Like 1

This is why I like the commodore 64 better.

The original Commodore couldn't organise a p*ssup in a brewery and successive trademark owners haven't gotten any better. For better or worse we're safe :)

And "Amiga" is in an even worse situation than "Commodore".

I don't understand the thinking behind the guy who owns the rights to the name "Amiga Inc". Why the eff didn't he slap the Amiga name on high end gaming computers in the late 90s/early 00s following Gateway's sale of the trademark? I mean, Alienware started around that time period and they made lots of cash during that period before Dell acquired them and ruined the brand [or Voodoo for that matter suffering an even worse fate at HP's hands]. What did the guy do instead? "Amiga Anywhere" aka "Amiga Nowhere".

The Amiga situation is extremely complicated right now. But that's a topic for another thread..

The Amiga situation is extremely complicated right now. But that's a topic for another thread..

Agreed it's probably for another thread if discussed in detail. However, I don't see what's complicated. They're going to slap "Amiga" names on PCs again, which seems pretty simple. They're probably going to install several well-placed Amiga emblems on a hacked Ubuntu, and call it "the new Amiga OS" and tout the fact that "it can run Windows, too" as an extra, rather than the standard capability of the PC hardware. It will all be overpriced, if the company lives long enough to get to it - that is, if it can sell enough overpriced C64 keyboards or can attract venture capitalists in this economy.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga.aspx

Edited by wood_jl

Agreed it's probably for another thread if discussed in detail. However, I don't see what's complicated. They're going to slap "Amiga" names on PCs again, which seems pretty simple. They're probably going to install several well-placed Amiga emblems on a hacked Ubuntu, and call it "the new Amiga OS" and tout the fact that "it can run Windows, too" as an extra, rather than the standard capability of the PC hardware. It will all be overpriced, if the company lives long enough to get to it - that is, if it can sell enough overpriced C64 keyboards or can attract venture capitalists in this economy.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga.aspx

That is the easy part. Where it gets complicated is after the lawsuit between the developer of the OS and Amiga Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_AmigaOS_4_dispute

Commodore USA appears to have licensed the names.

Amiga Nowhere appears to have rights to the name Amiga as well as the OS.

Hyperian also has rights to the later versions of the OS 3.5+.

(On a side note there is actually a ton of VC capital money floating around, not sure if they would want to invest in CommodoreUSA though.)

But this is really a topic for another thread...

Edited by SpaceDice2010

I doubt Atari have got much chance of going after asteroids.co.uk but it is another fine example of a company shooting itself in the foot. :sad:

If only astronomers hadn't named floating space-rocks after a 1970's video game, this never would have happened! ;)

Wow, is that Asteroids® bit true?

If so, my amusement meter is pegged.

Atari® seems to be trying to go from worldwide indifference to total hatred. Articles which I would previously have immediately dismissed as humor, I can no longer be certain about.

Disclaimer:

Asteroids®, Atari®, and the Atari® logo are property of Atari®, Inc. Statements made here may not necessarily reflect the position of Atari®, Inc or its subsidiaries. Please, dear God, don't let them sue me.

Edited by Reaperman

The domain has been registered for years but spent a long time parked and "for sale". One old version I found says it was dedicated to the history of the asteroids game with credits to programmers, mentions of Space War! etc, then as Perry_M stated - it had a version of asteroids on the site more recently, might explain why Atari went after it.