IGNORED

Kaboom! for TI-99/4A

rocky007

Since i discovered the MLC compiler, i can't stop !

While my wife preparing my bagages for hollyday, i couldn't resist to test something i had in head 6 months ago.. a port of Kaboom !

I started long time ago a post about a interface to connect Atari 2600 Paddles ( and USB Mouse ) to TI99. Now, i have the power to do it.

Just a little preview of the game, PIC interface will follow soon ;)

PS : youtube killed my 50 FPS :(

• 2 weeks later...

This looks fantastic! Is control now with just the joysticks? It looks like a complete game to me, so I was wondering when you were going to release it. Also, I think that it should be quite playable with joysticks alone and there is no need to interface paddles unless someone really wants to.

Edit: Never mind. I see you already posted it :ponder:

Edited by Vorticon

I just played the game in Classic 99 and it seems to be quite faithful to the Atari VCS classic (and just as frustrating). Well done! Would you mind if I posted it on the tigameshelf.net site? Also can you give me some more information about the MLC compiler? I am only familiar with Harry Wilhelm's one.

Wow.. You need to make the bomber smile when you are killed. And if you could make fuses flicker red yellow that'd be sweet.

yes, i'll add this, and also the "special smile" on 10.000 points ;)

i'm sorry i don't understand " fuses flicker red yellow " ? what is it ?

I just played the game in Classic 99 and it seems to be quite faithful to the Atari VCS classic (and just as frustrating). Well done! Would you mind if I posted it on the tigameshelf.net site? Also can you give me some more information about the MLC compiler? I am only familiar with Harry Wilhelm's one.

i agree, the atari paddle interface is not really interesting, but i'm interested in developping it. this interface will also accept USB mouse & joypad, so i suppose some people could find interest in it.

of course you can post it on tigameshelf.net, with great pleasure ;)

MLC compiler is really special. It's not a basic compiler. It's a special language, very near to assembler ( in the structure ). The advantage is you can use in it directly your XB basic program, and it's really fast.

Ex :

To change the background color from 1 to 15 :

in basic :

For I=1 to 15

call screen(i)

next i

in MLC :

=I1 Step I= 1

La Label A

&SI Call screen I

II I=I+1

CI5 !>a IF NOT I>15 GOTO Label A

But there are more interesting functions :

ex : to test limit of X for a sprite

Basic :

X=X+1

IF X<1 THEN X=1

IF X>256 THEN X=256

MLC :

(X1.256

Edited by rocky007

Very impressive work rocky007!!!

I also like the color bar in the Activision logo, nice!

Thanks ! Haha, it's very funny, because when i did it, i thought about you Activison logo in pitfall, and was jaleous that yours is better !

Just one question about pitfall : is the rope drawed in real time or it's precalculated ?

Edited by rocky007

Thanks ! Haha, it's very funny, because when i did it, i thought about you Activison logo in pitfall, and was jaleous that yours is better !

Just one question about pitfall : is the rope drawed in real time or it's precalculated ?

Well considering you did this with Extended Basic limitations I think the logo looks real nice.

About your question, the rope in Pitfall is calculated in real-time. You basically have 3 sprites for the ropes. If I am not mistaking I only had 2 calculate 2 patterns because the 3rd one got repeated from the first one.

You should really try assembly language. I find it a lot more easily to understand as the MLC syntax.

Well considering you did this with Extended Basic limitations I think the logo looks real nice.

About your question, the rope in Pitfall is calculated in real-time. You basically have 3 sprites for the ropes. If I am not mistaking I only had 2 calculate 2 patterns because the 3rd one got repeated from the first one.

You should really try assembly language. I find it a lot more easily to understand as the MLC syntax.

yes, i have a choice to do : TurboForth or assembler... my next project will need many resource than XB basic don't have... I think assembler with Spectra 2 library could be not so difficult...

Edited by rocky007

MLC compiler is really special. It's not a basic compiler. It's a special language, very near to assembler ( in the structure ). The advantage is you can use in it directly your XB basic program, and it's really fast.

Ex :

in basic :

For I=1 to 15

call screen(i)

next i

in MLC :

=I1 Step I= 1

La Label A

&SI Call screen I

II I=I+1

Basic :

X=X+1

IF X<1 THEN X=1

IF X>256 THEN X=256

MLC :

(X1.256

I'm sorry to say I find this syntax really obtuse :( So who wrote this "language" and where is it documented?

Ex :

in basic :

For I=1 to 15

call screen(i)

next i

in MLC :

=I1 Step I= 1

La Label A

&SI Call screen I

II I=I+1

Basic :

X=X+1

IF X<1 THEN X=1

IF X>256 THEN X=256

MLC :

(X1.256

I'm sorry to say I find this syntax really obtuse :( So who wrote this "language" and where is it documented?

here it the link : http://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/mlc_e.htm

The compiler is fully documented, with many little programs.

I'm sorry for the exemple, without tabulation it looks little bit obscure ;)

a simple loop from 0 to 5000 :

MLC

---

=I0

La

II

CI5000 !>a

XB

--

1 I=0

2 I=I+1

3 IF I<=5000 THEN 1

ASM

---

CLR R0

F1

INC R0

CI R0,5000

JNE F1

Edited by rocky007

Meant make the bombs multicolor - and the fuses animated + colorchanging... Would give a really nice effect as the bombs drop!

Wow.. You need to make the bomber smile when you are killed. And if you could make fuses flicker red yellow that'd be sweet.

yes, i'll add this, and also the "special smile" on 10.000 points ;)

i'm sorry i don't understand " fuses flicker red yellow " ? what is it ?

Is Guillaume Tello really the name of the author of MLC? That would be something he he... I want to make sure so I can give him proper credit when I post Kaboom. Vraiment une tres bonne adaptation (veillez excuser l'absence d'accents dans mon browser):)

yes, Guillaume Tello is the author of MLC. Perfect french ;)

Is Guillaume Tello really the name of the author of MLC? That would be something he he... I want to make sure so I can give him proper credit when I post Kaboom. Vraiment une tres bonne adaptation (veillez excuser l'absence d'accents dans mon browser):)

Guillaume is a nice guy - shame he's not over here on AA.

OK then :) Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Is Guillaume Tello really the name of the author of MLC? That would be something he he... I want to make sure so I can give him proper credit when I post Kaboom. Vraiment une tres bonne adaptation (veillez excuser l'absence d'accents dans mon browser) :)

Yes I am !!!

Nice to hear that MLC is useful for someone...!!

I like KABOOM !!

I want to see it written for the PreCompiler to make it readable, it would be a great demonstration of what can be done with MLC.

Guillaume.

• Like 1