IGNORED

SRAM - final..

lotharek

i soldered in 800l..have only pcb for testing

yes, this is how it works when cpu soldered.. 5 seconds of work...

i have just upgraded 5 ataris drinking one beer :-)

This is excellent. A no-frills, easy to fit internal upgrade will be most welcome - providing it's cheap (after all, we have Ultimate 1MB at the "high end" already).

Just SICK (!)

Amazing at how simpler and denser these upgrades keep getting.

This is particularly valuable for "collectors" or anyone trying to enjoy extra juice without "ghetto'ing" the host machine.

I am not sure how an upgrade like this could get any better, assuming full SW/HW compatibility.

You've got my attention (my 800XL is fully socketed).

F.

i soldered in 800l..have only pcb for testing

yes, this is how it works when cpu soldered.. 5 seconds of work...

i have just upgraded 5 ataris drinking one beer :-)

This is excellent. A no-frills, easy to fit internal upgrade will be most welcome - providing it's cheap (after all, we have Ultimate 1MB at the "high end" already).

I wouldnt call the Ultimate 1mb the "high end" where ram expansions are concerned. I'd be more inclined to call it the "specialized end".. not everyone wants all that flash stuff in their machine..

I wouldnt call the Ultimate 1mb the "high end" where ram expansions are concerned. I'd be more inclined to call it the "specialized end".. not everyone wants all that flash stuff in their machine..

I know you don't like the Ultimate 1MB, but it's a semantic point: the extra features turn right off. Furthermore, you can use the SDX flash ROM for something else if you want. As long as a memory upgrade adds memory and works, there's little to differentiate functional from flashy other than the build quality and durability of the board and how well it fits in the machine.

Who said I didnt like it? I just said it wasnt the "high end" of RAM expansions. If I set out to expand the RAM of my machine, I may not want all the other stuff in there, regardless of whether or not it "turns off".

If, on the other hand, in addition to a ram expansion,I am looking to provide a flash based DOS, a multiple OS solution, a non "R:time8 standard" RTC, and various flash based cart emulation options.. If I actually WANT all of those features (or at least most of them) in my machine, then the Ultimate 1MB is what I would buy.

If I just want a ram expansion, I'd more likely consider One of Hias/Mega-hz various solutions (or the ones made by others based on that design) or even Lotherek's new design, assuming it proves to be a good one. And in the role of a RAM expansion, I fail to see anything about the Ultimate 1mb that is any more "high end" than most of the others..

Well, I wasn't implying you said it here: I merely recalled you telling me it was a mess, but perhaps I recall wrongly. The fact you're taking issue with the use of the term "high-end" to refer to a pricier, much anticipated and quality upgrade would imply that you don't like it, as would the use of the phrase 'non "R:time8 standard" RTC', the latter tending to suggest that the Ultimate 1MB would be better if its RTC were R-Time8 compatible. However, I have no wish to argue about trivial minutae, so I'll affirm that you're absolutely correct on all counts and my use of the phrase "high-end" was completely inappropriate. For the record, the point I was rather clumsily attempting to convey was merely that as we already have three or four 1MB upgrades out there (including the excellent Mega-HZ board), and I'm on the 1MB pre-order list, I'll be more tempted to invest in a no-frills solution if it's cheap. Since the IDE Plus and SIDE arrived, even tunnel-vision SDX fans like me don't absolutely have to have an RTC and SDX inside every machine, so there's definitely a place for something which just does what it says on the tin (I have two of Lotharek's older 1MB upgrades running very nicely on a couple of machines). I notice Lotharek is using turned pins on these newer boards, so hopefully he'll finally be removed from the "Ass-Rig" list on your website. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Well, I wasn't implying you said it here: I merely recalled you telling me it was a mess, but perhaps I recall wrongly. The fact you're taking issue with the use of the term "high-end" to refer to a pricier, much anticipated and quality upgrade would imply that you don't like it, as would the use of the phrase 'non "R:time8 standard" RTC', the latter tending to suggest that the Ultimate 1MB would be better if its RTC were R-Time8 compatible. However, I have no wish to argue about trivial minutae, so I'll affirm that you're absolutely correct on all counts and my use of the phrase "high-end" was completely inappropriate. For the record, the point I was rather clumsily attempting to convey was merely that as we already have three or four 1MB upgrades out there (including the excellent Mega-HZ board), and I'm on the 1MB pre-order list, I'll be more tempted to invest in a no-frills solution if it's cheap.

Mega-hz isn't selling any SRAM expansion currently (afaik).. But all of the ram expansion boards that various people have sold that were based on Hias/Bernt's original logic are basically the same thing electronically.

Yeah I admit that the Ultimate 1mb is likely to be pricier than some ram-only upgrades, if that's what you meant by "high end"..

I never called candle's board a "mess". Someone else suggested that, and I reminded them that everything candle has ever made has been a rock solid product.. And, in light of the other expansions he offers (or has offered in the past), I can see exactly why the Ultimate 1mb installs the way it does. If you have a VBXE, and a Super Stereo + I/O, it's nice to be able to ALSO install the Ultimate 1mb (and have it all physically fit in the machine in some decent way.) At some point he needs to just make a drop-in motherboard replacement that integrates all his expansions.

I dont happen to want/need all the features the Ultimate 1mb offers (on any of my current setups), so obviously I'd be more inclined to go with something that has a few less wires. But that doesnt mean I would not reccomend the Ultimate 1MB to someone who does in fact want/need what it offers. In fact, I have, on several occasions. None of this has any relevancy to whether or not one RAM expansion should be considered "high end" in comparisson to another..

Since the IDE Plus and SIDE arrived, even tunnel-vision SDX fans like me don't absolutely have to have an RTC and SDX inside every machine, so there's definitely a place for something which just does what it says on the tin (I have two of Lotharek's older 1MB upgrades running very nicely on a couple of machines).

Exactly

I notice Lotharek is using turned pins on these newer boards, so hopefully he'll finally be removed from the "Ass-Rig" list on your website. :)

Hmmm. I wonder if that would be worth a free "promo" unit? For evaluation purposes, of course.. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know. Ive been meaning to redo that page for a LONG time. I'd like to change it to a POSITIVE reflection of the people who's work I admire, rather than a negative reflection of those I don't.

Everything Ive seen Lotharek make in the last 2 years or so has LOOKED just fine to me, and I don't have any reason to degrade/berate his work. Please accept my apologies for leaving that stuff up as long as I did.

http://www.rasterline.com/news.html

I think, we could a have a deal - i will send You one microram for NTSC testing in plenty of Your machines. All I would expect is serious comments about module and it`s behaviour in different configuations.

that will be pre-production version of course, but will go any further without scroupultness tests from NTSC user.Of course, i think all suggestions should be posted here in that thread for future improvments

Edited by lotharek