IGNORED

SRAM - final..

lotharek

Hello Lotharek

Nice music. Covox I guess? :D

So you're 1Mb upgrade is CS compatible (meaning pins 4 and 5 are used exactly like in the 130XE)? How do you control BASIC, selftest, Missile Command (in the XEGS) and the OS ROM/RAM? Are these signals latched?

CU

Mathy

Hello Lotharek

Nice music. Covox I guess? :D

So you're 1Mb upgrade is CS compatible (meaning pins 4 and 5 are used exactly like in the 130XE)? How do you control BASIC, selftest, Missile Command (in the XEGS) and the OS ROM/RAM? Are these signals latched?

CU

Mathy

Yeah - that was Jet Set Willy playing through Covox.

Only three available pieces of microram has been posted to beta testers. Soon more info.

some additional info :

After placing microram into socket under cpu You should check following :

- freddy XE computers --- some of them has PERMAMENT 5v on EXTSELECT (pin 3 of freddy chip) --- THIS MAY BURN XILINX !!

So, desolder this pin form pcb, connect to 5v via resistor 4,7kohm and THEN connect to microram..

Final version of microram will have this bug corrected,

Ps,ALSO I HAVE DISCOVORED that some cpus like at picture attached may do some problems on NUMEN demo.. other soft works fine..strange. Probably 02 timng mod to pcb will solve the issue.

http://www.retrogames.cl/imagenes/proyectos/stereo/cpug.jpg

ps. May I have please some examples of software that needs Antic mode 575kb of xmst ?

Edited by lotharek

of course above issue concern 576kb - 1088 kn no soldering or mods required

so, once again :

- if You want to have 1088 kb port b xmst - just plug and play

- if you want for some reasons microram to run in compy shop 576 kb mode, You have to:

* put jumper according to picture below

* if You have ATARI XEGS or ATARI 65XE without ECI (picture 917) that freddy`s pin 3 (extselect) is permament connected to 5V, cut the trace or desolder/lift pin up, connect pin 3 to 5v via 3k resistor and then conenct to BD3 at microram.

post-7336-0-54112000-1314013644_thumb.jpg

post-7336-0-99154200-1314013652_thumb.jpg

post-7336-0-70699400-1314013658_thumb.jpg

post-7336-0-89683000-1314013779_thumb.jpg

Edited by lotharek

• 2 weeks later...

So just to be clear (and avoid burning something up), on a regular 16 DRAM 130XE, no +5VDC/resistor modification is necessary?

-Larry

of course above issue concern 576kb - 1088 kn no soldering or mods required

so, once again :

- if You want to have 1088 kb port b xmst - just plug and play

- if you want for some reasons microram to run in compy shop 576 kb mode, You have to:

* put jumper according to picture below

* if You have ATARI XEGS or ATARI 65XE without ECI (picture 917) that freddy`s pin 3 (extselect) is permament connected to 5V, cut the trace or desolder/lift pin up, connect pin 3 to 5v via 3k resistor and then conenct to BD3 at microram.

ps. May I have please some examples of software that needs Antic mode 575kb of xmst ?

Well,

afaik there is no program that requires 576k RAM and sep. Antic. But there are some programs that require 128k RAM and sep. Antic access (and afaik sep. Antic access is only available in the 576k mode and not in 1088k mode, as well as Basic and Self Test which are most likely only available in the 576k mode - aren`t they?). Here is s short list of programs that require sep. Antic access:

- Video Blitz, a demo by Helvetica Bold

- The [sparta-DOS] Wedge by Ed Bachman

- Apple II Emulator

- RGB-slideshow by MetalGuy

and one or two more programs I do not remember at the moment. -Andreas Koch.

130XE REVISED Slide Show.zip

apple_ii_emu.zip

wedge.zip

video_blitz.zip

Hello Andreas

There probably is no software that requires 576kB of RAM and separate ANTIC access for the same reason as there is no software that requires 2MB and separate ANTIC access. And that is that there are very few upgrades that have separate ANTIC access. But there is no reason why it shouldn't be included in new upgrades. If more upgrades have separate ANTIC and CPU access, more software will support it. And it can be done, as I proved with my 1MB (ok, 1088kB) XEGS that not only has separate ANTIC and CPU access, but also full software control over BASIC, SelfTest, Missile Command and OS ROM/RAM.

CU

Mathy

Ps,ALSO I HAVE DISCOVORED that some cpus like at picture attached may do some problems on NUMEN demo.. other soft works fine..strange. Probably 02 timng mod to pcb will solve the issue.

http://www.retrogame...stereo/cpug.jpg

(...)

INTERESTING.

Almost IDENTICAL to my offending 800XL 6502, which would slip when running some titles of AtariMax Cart.

Mine is S-8323 @ C014806-03... and also a white-spot on the same corner (Pin).

F.

Zdj%eacie0911.jpg

Do we really need the 1/8" or so of plastic sleeving around those pins? Surely the pins should be the same as those found on the VBXE adapter board, allowing the PCB to sit flush with the top of the socket. This would allow the unit to be socketed on an XL, the board sitting too high otherwise. I certainly wouldn't want to remove the CPU socket on an XL and solder this directly to the motherboard. A simple design change would - I suggest - avoid the need for this.

Edited by flashjazzcat

To elucidate: those rows of turned pins should be socketed on the top, and should go in from the top side of the PCB, and be long enough to clear the thickness of the board. This makes the PCB a flush fit with the top of the CPU socket, and ensures that the resulting socket on the adapter is also totally flush with the top of the PCB. This should enable it to completely clear any XL keyboard.

Edited by flashjazzcat

It looks like a precision socket is soldered on top and the 2 header rows with machined pins is just plugged into the socket pins to give some extra clearance.

I imagine a flush fit might have clearance issues between the motherboard's CPU socket and the RAM chip (ie the cross-bracing ribs).

Or, maybe the pins aren't long enough on the precision socket only approach. You need to be able to push those things right into the cheapo sockets XLs use, else they just pop out.

It looks like a precision socket is soldered on top and the 2 header rows with machined pins is just plugged into the socket pins to give some extra clearance.

I imagine a flush fit might have clearance issues between the motherboard's CPU socket and the RAM chip (ie the cross-bracing ribs).

That's a fair point. I thought the bracing ribs on a typical socket were recessed enough to clear the RAM chip, but perhaps not.

Or, maybe the pins aren't long enough on the precision socket only approach. You need to be able to push those things right into the cheapo sockets XLs use, else they just pop out.

I imagine a specific kind of pin array is required - one which is designed to pass through the PCB from the top and still be long enough to push into the socket underneath. Candle must have used these for the VBXE adapter. In any case, I don't mind replacing the machine socket on an XL with a precision one if that provides a firmer fit. It's direct soldering of adapter boards to the motherboard which I want to avoid.

If only that top socket wasn't so tall, I think it might fit anyway. I have a Lotherek 1MB adapter under the PIA on one of my 800XLs which uses a separate set of turned pins on the bottom and a precision socket on the top. It clears the keyboard easily, but the top socket it totally flush with the PCB. Maybe the clearance issue depends very much on the kind of keyboard.

Edited by flashjazzcat

afaik there is no program that requires 576k RAM and sep. Antic. But there are some programs that require 128k RAM and sep. Antic access (and afaik sep. Antic access is only available in the 576k mode and not in 1088k mode, as well as Basic and Self Test which are most likely only available in the 576k mode - aren`t they?). Here is s short list of programs that require sep. Antic access:

- Video Blitz, a demo by Helvetica Bold

- The [sparta-DOS] Wedge by Ed Bachman

- Apple II Emulator

- RGB-slideshow by MetalGuy

and one or two more programs I do not remember at the moment. -Andreas Koch.

TLC (colourful racing game) also needs separate ANTIC access.

Thorsten

I think, we could a have a deal - i will send You one microram for NTSC testing in plenty of Your machines. All I would expect is serious comments about module and it`s behaviour in different configuations.

that will be pre-production version of course, but will go any further without scroupultness tests from NTSC user.Of course, i think all suggestions should be posted here in that thread for future improvments

I have a 1200xl,600xl,800xl I would try it on how much for a test unit?

And yes I asked how much I don't expect something for

nothing and also show commitment to supporting a

very good product for the atari community..

Chris

Edited by Chris Union NJ

• 2 months later...