IGNORED

XTM201 Printer Working Sample

kheller2

Nice - What printer mech is in there? (and how much did it set you back?)

It's thermal. Never had a cart for it, but I've seen real ones for other prototypes. I don't remember how much I paid. I no longer have it, and wish I did. There were a few broken wires inside that needed to be traced out to the mech. The coolest part were the SIO connectors were on what appeared to be a module type board that could be swapped out. It reminded me of the old Epson homewriter10 printer that you could buy a module for every computer at the time. That and it was also a very sleek looking printer.

Bummer you don't still have it, that's nice looking piece of equipment.

It was thinner than the 1027 by far, I think it was only an inch or so high. More narrow and just a but deeper.

"working sample" implies to me there are others. Even the name plate is embossed. Going through all the trouble of running molds, making up labels for the bottom etc... I assume there is a landfill somewhere in the world with all this stuff in it...gone forever. It's one thing to save what we have today from going there, but all the things that we never saw... That's what is a real bummer.

Edited by kheller2

Now what is really neat about this and the STM502 are the interface modules....

They unplug, it appears Atari was going to offer these as SIO versions and Parallel Port versions. Which shows that early on the Tramiels planned to offer cross-platform support, it is unfortunate that they didn't follow through because I know personally and from the many message postings on bulletin boards, the Compu$erve forums, Prodigy and other pre-internet networks back then, a lot of angst and betrayal was felt that the Tramiels were ignoring and leaving the 8bitters behind and only supporting the ST line.

Curt

I thought I would share some pics of the XTM201 prototype:

post-4566-0-77473800-1313894525_thumb.jpg

post-4566-0-35283500-1313894802_thumb.jpg

post-4566-0-12683900-1313894801_thumb.jpg

They unplug, it appears Atari was going to offer these as SIO versions and Parallel Port versions. Which shows that early on the Tramiels planned to offer cross-platform support, it is unfortunate that they didn't follow through because I know personally and from the many message postings on bulletin boards, the Compu$erve forums, Prodigy and other pre-internet networks back then, a lot of angst and betrayal was felt that the Tramiels were ignoring and leaving the 8bitters behind and only supporting the ST line.

Curt

Curt, you have pictures of the STM502?

Hello Curt, guys

They unplug, it appears Atari was going to offer these as SIO versions and Parallel Port versions.

Maybe Atari used the internal parts of a printer made by some other company and used the pluggable part to interface to the PCB of the printer company. Atari did use parts from other companies before, like the 1027 and the XC12.

CU

Mathy

Wonder if there is a box or two of these things somewhere?, being able to swap it easily between an ST and an 8-bit would have been a great selling point. I read somewhere that the colour version was thermal and could also run with normal paper - just changing the cartridge. Anyone know anymore about it?

Someplace, the XTM201 is readily available. Its actually an STC as I recall.. that one is in storage and not in my proto display cabinets, so I need to find that one.

Curt

You should be able to google the stc502. I know Atari Explorer did a review of them and all the "new" Atari printers of the time.

Secret decode for the model number letters :

123 like XTM

First position: X for XE, S for ST

Second position: technology type, T=Thermal, M=dot matrix, D=Daisy wheel

Third position: M=monochrome, C=Color

I have no idea what the numbers mean.

• Like 1