IGNORED

Ultima VII help

When I had 486 with 4MB of RAM, that was a lot back then. I was able to make U7 run smooth by using /LH in autoexec to load mouse driver and cache, plus I set the cache to 2MB which resulted in a very smooth full screen moongate animation duting loading. I didn't use CD-ROM driver, I dumped the whole disc onto my HD to save memory.

Now that I think about it, if I did try U7 on my 486, I didn't for very long. That laptop doesn't have a sound card.

Wow.. Found out something I never knew about my copy of Ultima II for the Apple II..

Was browsing around and found this page:

http://www.ultimacollectors.info/u2_apple_1.htm

And my copy is apparently from the first release of Ultima II, including the error correction card...

That's kind of kual...

(It doesn't look any more rare than the other versions (in fact, one of the others is listed as more uncommon), but still pretty neat..)

I remember really liking the space travel the first few times I played Ultima II. And then after I played it a lot more, thinking they could have done without the space travel.. ;-)

desiv

So is it true what that Pix guy says, that towers and dungeons in U2 are pointless?

Technically.... yes..

Although there's lots of GOLD there, which can come in handy...

And that you have to steal and murder just to finish it?

Oh yeah!!!

(Well, have to?? Probably...)

I didn't get a conscience until Ultima IV.. :-)

desiv

So is it true what that Pix guy says, that towers and dungeons in U2 are pointless? And that you have to steal and murder just to finish it?

I think that's my main gripe with the game, is that I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Well - if you mean killing monsters as murder - yes.

As for stealing - well, no you dont *have* to. But like U3 it moves the game along alot faster. In fact, stealing food is the only real thing you need to take. In U3 you need to steal gold, over and over again.

As for the Dungeons/Towers - yeah, it appears this was left unfinished as U1 did have 'something' to do in the Dungeons. One of these days Ill prob go through some of them ;)

In U3 you need to steal gold, over and over again.

You don't necessarily need to steal gold. You can get it the hard way by fighting overland battles and raiding the dungeons. It takes an enormous amount of time that way, but it's doable. I made it through U3 that way and managed to preserve what I felt was a morality in my characters.

In fact, stealing food is the only real thing you need to take.

Well, I tried that, and gave up after a few minutes of not stealing anything at all. Came back with some gold =|

I also managed to get a blue tassel pretty easily, grabbed a ship in 2112 AD, cloned it on accident, and left both of the ships on continents I can't get back to without another ship >_< I didn't know there was only one timegate exit in 2112. Live and learn.

Got another tassel, and now I can't get any more ships to appear!

In fact, stealing food is the only real thing you need to take.

Well, I tried that, and gave up after a few minutes of not stealing anything at all. Came back with some gold =|

I also managed to get a blue tassel pretty easily, grabbed a ship in 2112 AD, cloned it on accident, and left both of the ships on continents I can't get back to without another ship >_

Got another tassel, and now I can't get any more ships to appear!

I dont remember the timezones well but you need to find 'McDonnells' - it has a take out window where you can steal and get away without fighting the guards.

A ship will come - but they dont come right away. You need to cruise around the land and beat up monsters. I dont see how oyu exited a ship and are not able to get back to it? You can return to any timegate - though you may need to go through a couple to get back to a specific one?

Its also possible to take a ship out of one of the towns - however you will need a key to open a door and usually have to kill a merchant which sets off the guards.

If you can get to the Russian town in teh future (after nuclear war time period) its best to get a ship in there since oyu can lay waste to the guards and get alot of keys ;)

I dont remember the timezones well but you need to find 'McDonnells' - it has a take out window where you can steal and get away without fighting the guards.

Yeah, that's where I was trying to steal from, but I'm the fighter class, and I guess whatever skill influences stealing wasn't high enough. I've just been paying for my food instead, and I'm fine with that.

I dont see how oyu exited a ship and are not able to get back to it? You can return to any timegate - though you may need to go through a couple to get back to a specific one?

All of the timegates that lead to 2112 all lead to Alaska (I believe?) and you can't get to the other continents from America.

I'm almost finished with the game now, though. Weird that so much of the game is completely unnecessary, I guess back when it came out people would do a lot more exploring, flying to each of the planets trying to figure out what the heck they were supposed to do. Wheras now, every set of online documentation on the game gives away all of the secrets. I'm not even sure how else you were supposed to figure out the coordinates for the planets.

Yeah, that's where I was trying to steal from, but I'm the fighter class, and I guess whatever skill influences stealing wasn't high enough. I've just been paying for my food instead, and I'm fine with that.

I dont see how oyu exited a ship and are not able to get back to it? You can return to any timegate - though you may need to go through a couple to get back to a specific one?

All of the timegates that lead to 2112 all lead to Alaska (I believe?) and you can't get to the other continents from America.

I'm almost finished with the game now, though. Weird that so much of the game is completely unnecessary, I guess back when it came out people would do a lot more exploring, flying to each of the planets trying to figure out what the heck they were supposed to do. Wheras now, every set of online documentation on the game gives away all of the secrets. I'm not even sure how else you were supposed to figure out the coordinates for the planets.

The game came with a 'Space Map' which showed the planet locations and what they were made of (mountains, water, etc...) - You are right about the clues. You had to visit every town/village/castle and talk to everyone who wasnt 'moving' to get a clue. Your clue to Planet X was in the Russian town in the Mtn Formation. So though you didnt have a quest in the dungeons/towers it didnt mean folks didnt explore them way back. Once you have the clues you realize all the fluff - but I had a great time figuring everything out.

I got bored waiting for U3 at the time that I filled in the Time of Legends with ships :)

ult2view_atariage.jpg

More Ultima goodies arrive!

ultimas_8.jpg

Now, this also arrived and the box was ruined due to the horrible packaging of the seller:

ultimas_9.jpg

ultimas_10.jpg

I'm not sure what protection the small pieces of cardboard (one on each side of the box) were to afford the poor game. This was sold by an Amazon seller and I already asked for a refund.

..Al

Now' date=' this also arrived and the box was ruined due to the horrible packaging of the seller:[/quote']

Yeah, I ordered Drakkhen for the Amiga recently from an e-bay seller, and was a bit nervous about the packaging because he said it shipped in an envelope like that; but it was cheap and not collectible, so I went for it.

Showed up in good condition.

All he did to protect it from crushing was to have a "wall" of cardboard; one long stip, just slightly bigger than the box, that went all around the box (twice).

That worked great.

(Well, if something would have put pressure on the center of the envelope, it wouldn't have stopped that, but that didn't happen.)

It's not too hard to put in just a little bit of thought and effort.

<sigh>

Good luck

desiv

Beat it.

"Seek now to conquer wicked Exodus, Found in Ultima ]|[-D ]||[-P!"

I wonder what that's supposed to mean.

Also, the docs said to bring a plane to the Time of Legends and fly it to the castle. But...you can...walk there just fine?

Edited by Asaki

Beat it.

"Seek now to conquer wicked Exodus, Found in Ultima ]|[-D ]||[-P!"

I wonder what that's supposed to mean.

Also, the docs said to bring a plane to the Time of Legends and fly it to the castle. But...you can...walk there just fine?

Yeah Im not sure about the plane thing.

I just beat 1, 2 and last weekend part 3 (with a character editor). Yeah yeah I cheated but I ONLY gave myself 9,999 food, Chain Mail for all characters and bows. Beat it with 4 dwarf Paladins.

On to Ultima 4!!

Edited by cimerians

More Ultima goodies arrive!

post-3-0-19283300-1316193939_thumb.jpg

Now, this also arrived and the box was ruined due to the horrible packaging of the seller:

post-3-0-49589300-1316194123_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-17405200-1316194124_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what protection the small pieces of cardboard (one on each side of the box) were to afford the poor game. This was sold by an Amazon seller and I already asked for a refund.

..Al

Awesome. Keep posting. I'm sad to say I threw out my Underworld boxes (or Lost them). I have everything else though. I need to post pics of my stuff after I move.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two more Ultima items arrive in the mail. :)

ultimas_12.jpg

The Black Gate game arrived in a manilla envelope with no apparent padding at all, from external appearances. I opened it up and was grateful to see that the game was packed inside a box, with the game itself carefully enclosed in bubble wrap. Phew!

..Al