IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest

Bunsen

Thanks but what we are after is an english summary of the hardware entries then we can vote to show some support - the software we get to try so that's easier!

Since I developed the new Turbo Freezer I think I can give a short summary :)

The hardware of the new Freezer was developed completely scratch, compared to the old Turbo Freezer 2005 a lot of new features were added: total of 1MB flash and 1MB battery-backed RAM (previously: 512k flash, 128k RAM), new, larger, CPLD giving the possibility to add more functions, pass-through PBI allowing other PBI devices to be connected (tested with IDE Plus at this year's Fujiama).

The basic functions are:

- Freezer: stop/resume a program at any time, save/load snapshots to/from Freezer RAM / ramdisk / disk / tape, built-in debugger. new: improved compatibility with several programs (for example Galaxian) which wouldn't work with the old Freezer. Added support for dual-pokey systems (controllable by a switch). Also added some new debugger features, for example a printing function (print a log of your debugger sessions) and full PORTB control (allowing OS RAM/ROM switching etc). The latter is a software-only issue and will also be available for the old Freezer through a software update.

- Oldrunner mode: integrated OldOS, controlled by a switch (same as in old Freezer).

- 512k battery-backed ramdisk, also switchable, 100% PORTB compatible (using PB 2/3/5/6/7 for banks).

- CartrdigeEmulation: can use up to 960k flash and 384k RAM to run 8k, 16k and OSS carts. Supports new SDX (same banking as Ultimate1MB, up to 512k max.) plus "stacked" carts running rom the CartEmu (so you can run SDX and MAC/65 from the TurboFreezer). Added AtariMax compatible banking (up to 960k, so Space Harrier won't work - sorry) and new 8k + RAM banking (main 8k bank at $A000, optional 8k RAM bank at $8000). Now also signals cart-presence via TRIG3 ($D013).

Instead of separate XL and XE versions the new Freezer (which comes now also with a case) is plugged into an exchangable adapter board (also available separately). Both XL and XE boards have a passthrough PBI and the Freezer is standing upright behind the XL/XE. The XE board is also equipped with a cartridge connector.

As usual I'll release all development docs: source code, schematic and board files, CPLD logic source.

so long,

Hias

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I guess most people will have voted or at least made their minds up by now so... in the Mighty Jill Off which is fantastic BTW :thumpsup: I get eventually get past the black sections and get to a bit on the bottom right of the screen just after the start of the next (orangey/brown) section, where there is a small gap with spikes on the right and above it on the left and then right

post-19705-0-29419400-1319022674_thumb.jpg- no matter what I do I cannot get through the gap. Has anyone made this bit? Do you just have to jump whilst moving or just get pixel perfect and jump straight up?

Found a small bug: When you fall off on the upper black section you fall down for ages, and then 'rise' back up to the section start!

I played Mighty Jill Off again, after about a zillion tries (and nearly giving up) I got past this bit by shimmying right and left... there wasn't much more to do after that point and I managed to complete the game.

Excellent, very slick game engine, unique controls and superb tune. I hope there will be many more levels/other versions released with different courses. Think the difficulty of this bit might put a few people off so perhaps an easy version would be good too.

Not sure if the machine is up to it but wondered if a version of the that ST game Rainbow Island? something or other, the one where you fire Rainbows and can walk on them... or something of that style is doable using this ?

Played Marbled again and got to level 16 or so, nice game, nice having the codes and 92 levels :thumbsup:

Roblox is not a bad game if you like puzzle games (could do with an option to turn the tune off) and The Sherrif's Job (BASIC) is fun - just need to tweak it to have joystick control on the menu ;)

On my PAL 130XE (CRT) ICE flickers in all modes, the book mentions it having better results on NTSC :ponder:

post-19705-0-65284600-1319046674_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-65162600-1319046691_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the official results of the software contest 2011:

1. Marbled 503 P.

2. Mighty Jill Off 490 P.

3. Roxblox 432 P.

4. ICE 359 P.

5. PDP-8-Emulator 343 P.

6. Starroad 309 P.

7. CRC32.COM 287 P.

8. Sheriffs Job 280 P.

9. Pixel Paint 213 P.

1. Marbled 503 P.

3. Roxblox 432 P.

4. ICE 359 P.

5. PDP-8-Emulator 343 P.

6. Starroad 309 P.

7. CRC32.COM 287 P.

8. Sheriffs Job 280 P.

9. Pixel Paint 213 P.

Back home from Herten :)

Close competition for the 1st place. Congrats to MaPa and the other guys involved with Marbled. ;)

@therealbountybob:

I mentioned it here in the forum somewhere, i made a stupid beginners mistake (forgot the CLC) with the counters which measure the game time. Cause I hacked it in in the last minutes.

So you did not played 3h :)

And big thanks go to Bunsen for organizing the contest!

Marbled and Mighty Jill Off are the two that really stood out for me; I'm glad they are the top two. Congratulations to everyone who entered a program supporting the Atari 8-bit :thumbsup:

I played Marbled with a friend up to level 32ish, worked well with 2 people studying the screens and taking over when one had brain fog! A very nice feature is that if you screw up, you may have a chance to exit the level and retry it.

Yes I played MJO from the abbuc disk, would love to see lots more levels/versions of this PLEASE :love:

[probably only 2hours!]

Two superb games 10/10

;-)

Edited by therealbountybob

1. Marbled 503 P.

3. Roxblox 432 P.

4. ICE 359 P.

5. PDP-8-Emulator 343 P.

6. Starroad 309 P.

7. CRC32.COM 287 P.

8. Sheriffs Job 280 P.

9. Pixel Paint 213 P.

Well,

the first programs are available for download, one can find "Roxblox" here:

http://www.atariage....buc-sw-contest/

or alternatively on the author`s page here:

http://matosimi.webs...011/10/roxblox/

Furthermore, "CRC-32" is now available as an update, named CRC-32N here:

http://www.atariage....ttach_id=223699

and another update, named CRC-32N2 is available here:

http://www.atariage....ttach_id=223882

Let`s wait and see what other programs will be available for download. And as said 1000 times before, it depends on the decision of the authors (to release their programs freely for download) not on Abbuc...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Here you go. The fixed version of Mighty Jill Off (2nd at Abbuc SW-Contest 2011).

The only difference to the Contest-Version is the fixed time counter. now the time should be correct. Just 2 missing CLC after all ;)

To mark this release I have put a "f" behind the "2011" in the intro-scroller. It's no gfx fault.

Indeed, all other known bugs are left inside! I have no motivation to wipe those, so you better don't die in the black area too often and do not load it from DOS ;)

Because, I am busy finishing the final version. And here is the competition for the hard core gamers:

The first 5 (five) players who finish the game under 15 minutes will be in the beta tester list for the final version!

Just watch the PC-Version videos at Youtube to get an idea of what will you get to play on your Atari before all others.

In the times of PhotShop, freezers and emulators it is too easy to fake the scores, so I have to rely on your honesty to not fake and to not give the file to others.

The best option would be a real screen shot from your TV with the final time.

MightyFixed.xex

MJO The game was much easier this time round...

post-19705-0-53562300-1320426339.jpg

drat didn't read about beating 15mins (19:56) ;)

Yeah, gets easier when you get used to it. It was awkward to see guys playing it at the ABBUC JHV for the first time. ;)

I am thinking if 20 min does qualify for the beta version. You are the first to post your score, so I think I can accept it ;)

What about this: First limit - accomplished by therealbountybob is below 20min the 2nd must be below 19 until and so on and the 5th below 15min :)

I am curious if there are more who are interested in the beta version.

Have to see how much time I can spend this WE. There is one flicker of the "spiders" which needs to be eliminated, but I know what to do, its just the part of my mate OSon to do it :)

Made it in under 17mins, think I can get to 15 :-o

[16:49]

some more thoughts for the full game:

perhaps have some random level pieces / sections to give some variety / some dead ends maybe (not too far),

for difficulty / levels could use the same playfield with small sections changed / superimposed.

For beginners - Could consider a skip feature where a player takes a heavy time penalty (e.g. 10 mins) to skip a section that they are stuck on.

Could do other versions / different characters with altered movement paradigms / controls

The game is so slick :lust: :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-14132100-1320503166.jpg

Made it in under 17mins, think I can get to 15 :-o

[16:49]

some more thoughts for the full game:

perhaps have some random level pieces / sections to give some variety / some dead ends maybe (not too far),

for difficulty / levels could use the same playfield with small sections changed / superimposed.

For beginners - Could consider a skip feature where a player takes a heavy time penalty (e.g. 10 mins) to skip a section that they are stuck on.

Could do other versions / different characters with altered movement paradigms / controls

The game is so slick :lust: :thumbsup:

Nice effort, however, you already qualified for the beta version. :)

There won't be additional features as you mentioned, just those I already planned for the Abbuc-Version.

But there are so many small bugs and glitches. just fixed three today - more to go.

However, i thought about reusing the engine because would be a shame to abondom it. Lots of work went into it already.

What another game would have are power-ups. The idea with the movment change could be incorporated like with a robot suite to jump higher or cape upgrade to float easier...

Let me just finish this game first, but oyu can note down ideas for a POSSIBLE 2nd game.

• Like 1

The Mighty Jill Off looked pretty good when I saw it running on original hardware, but it doesn't look like Altirra likes it - shame as I was looking forward to getting to spend some quality gaming time with it. :(

The game starts okay, but after the 1st successful jump (when our hero isn't flapping his / her arms like a humming bird on speed) the display fails. Guess I'll just have to spend more time round Bobs house (get the kettle on, matey!!)

Edited by justin case
  • Like 1

The Mighty Jill Off looked pretty good when I saw it running on original hardware, but it doesn't look like Altirra likes it - shame as I was looking forward to getting to spend some quality gaming time with it. :(

The game starts okay, but after the 1st successful jump (when our hero isn't flapping his / her arms like a humming bird on speed) the display fails. Guess I'll just have to spend more time round Bobs house (get the kettle on, matey!!)

You have to set Altirra to PAL.

I used Altirra for 6 month while debugging the game. It runs on Altirra and it also runs on Atari800 (linux) as that is my main development emulator.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Creature XL