IGNORED

High Score Club 9.24 - Mr. Do!'s Castle

Ze_ro

In the arcade game, you can smash the block beneath a unicorn and watch it plummet to its death. Try that on the VCS = instant death for you. Seriously?

This is probably the least fun I have ever had with an Atari. Boo hoo.

I actually really like the concept of the game, I've really been getting into, but it really needs to either be hacked and made better or someone needs to do a homebrew variant of it and get the gameplay working better.

All Parker Brothers need to do was spend just a little more time on it the game, and it would have been great.

Grrr . . . 85540

Sorry, dis, decided to make you 'grrr' a bit more. I could have gotten farther, but really this game just gets kind of tedious when you play it long enough. I have it figured out enough to bait enemies, trick them with the ladders, and so forth, but really it comes down to how long you want to play it, and really I don't want to play it that much. A few runs through the levels is enough for me. Not sure I want to beat my own score at this point.

post-22322-0-99221800-1315286971_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Grrr . . . 85540

Sorry, dis, decided to make you 'grrr' a bit more. I could have gotten farther, but really this game just gets kind of tedious when you play it long enough. I have it figured out enough to bait enemies, trick them with the ladders, and so forth, but really it comes down to how long you want to play it, and really I don't want to play it that much. A few runs through the levels is enough for me. Not sure I want to beat my own score at this point.

I was so ready to go to bed too . . . ITS ON!

I'm so going to regret this tomorrow . . .

You probably really, really will. It's not worth it! Third is a good position! Actually, you can be toymailman and others might come out of the woodwork tomorrow with scores that take guts to beat. This time around, the guts you have to keep down through force of will, otherwise you'll vomit everywhere from Castle. Game is just so, ugh, so poorly translated. Could have been so good. Talk about a rush job. I barely had the mental endurance to make it to that score. Don't think I could do it again or go over it even.

You probably really, really will. It's not worth it! Third is a good position! Actually, you can be toymailman and others might come out of the woodwork tomorrow with scores that take guts to beat. This time around, the guts you have to keep down through force of will, otherwise you'll vomit everywhere from Castle. Game is just so, ugh, so poorly translated. Could have been so good. Talk about a rush job. I barely had the mental endurance to make it to that score. Don't think I could do it again or go over it even.

I'm going to try beating before Wednesday but I just doing think I'm going to be able too . . . I'm too tired tonight to play yet another round. Problem I have is I keep trying to get all the bonus lives and take too many chances.

I'm going to try beating before Wednesday but I just doing think I'm going to be able too . . . I'm too tired tonight to play yet another round. Problem I have is I keep trying to get all the bonus lives and take too many chances.

I've found that your best bet for bonus lives is to leave only one unicorn left, and then hit the keys. It's easy to trick the last one around, even when they're green, move to the top, wait until they're getting close, hit the castle and then have at em. It, of course, takes several rounds for you to get a life, but it works well.

Great scores Stan and disjau. Credits for learning this one.

I can learn most games but this one still confuses me.

I wouldn't call it confusing, the programming is just THAT bad. Once you figure out the quirks of how bad it is, you can play it, but it's still rather taxing. Jeez, disjau, don't know if I have the stomach to beat that score, I'm really sick of this game.

Great scores Stan and disjau. Credits for learning this one.

I can learn most games but this one still confuses me.

I wouldn't call it confusing, the programming is just THAT bad. Once you figure out the quirks of how bad it is, you can play it, but it's still rather taxing. Jeez, disjau, don't know if I have the stomach to beat that score, I'm really sick of this game.

Agreed, it is tedious and once you kind of figure out how the collision detection works it gets . . . . I was going to say better but I not sure thats entirely true :roll:

I'm debating going after the 650K score, if it weren't for shear exhaustion last night, I think I might have been able to do it. I think the only thing that keeps me coming back to this game is the music . . . its just so addicting. Might have to make it my ring tone :D

Edited by disjaukifa

STRATEGY - SCENE 2 WITH YELLOW UNICORNS:

1. Go to the 1st floor using the Left Ladder; then knock out the blocks as shown on Figure 2-A.

post-24681-0-86780700-1315351171_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-A

2. Wait 2 unicorns (which are on the Left Ladder) enter the 1st floor (Figure 2-B). Then, move Mr. Do to the 2nd floor using a swinging ladder. After this, position Mr. Do to hit the 3rd block (from the left to right, Figure 2-C). Doing this at the right time, you eliminate 2 unicorns simultaneouly. Once you do this sucessfully, use the hole to return to the basement.

post-24681-0-70098800-1315351175_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-B

post-24681-0-35082600-1315351183_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-C

3. Quickly, go to the 2nd floor with the Left Ladder, then hit the block which is between 2 ladders (Figure 2-D). Wait one of 3 remaining unicorns enter the 2nd floor (Figure 2-E). Then, climb the swinging ladder to the 3rd floor and knock out one of key blocks onto the 3rd unicorn.

post-24681-0-32832800-1315351199_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-D

post-24681-0-12380300-1315351211_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-E

4. Go right, guide Mr. Do over the swinging ladder returning to the 2nd floor. Climb again to the 3rd floor, wait one of 2 remaining unicorns enter this floor, climb another swinging ladder to the 4th floor and then knock out the left SKULL block quickly to eliminate the 4th unicorn (Figure 2-F).

post-24681-0-81621500-1315351216_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-F

5. Knock out all the remaining KEY blocks and avoid eliminating the last unicorn. Then, go to the top of the castle and wait the last unicorn enters the top. Then, open the castle door and quickly hit the Bonus Letter with your Hammer (Figures 2-G and 2-H).

post-24681-0-99724300-1315351222_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-G

post-24681-0-14990500-1315351235_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 2-H

Edited by oyamafamily

STRATEGY - SCENE 3 WITH YELLOW UNICORNS:

1. Go to the 1st floor using the swinging ladder; then move Mr. Do to the right guiding over the swinging ladder and returning to the basement. After this, climb the same ladder to the 1st floor, knock out the blocks as shown on Figure 3-A (Be careful: don't knock out both SKULL blocks before the unicorns enter the 1st floor).

post-24681-0-65703900-1315353932_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 3-A

2. Wait 2 unicorns (which are going to descend from the 2nd floor) enter the 1st floor (Figure 3-B - note that one of these unicorns is in the hole). Then, hit another SKULL block to eliminate the first 2 unicorns simultaneouly. Once you do this sucessfully, climb the Right Ladder to the 2nd floor and go to the 4th floor via swinging ladders (Figure 3-C).

post-24681-0-47627600-1315353937_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 3-B

post-24681-0-76090300-1315353943_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 3-C

3. Go right, guide Mr. Do over the swinging ladder returning to the 3rd floor. Let one of unicorns enters the 3rd floor and quickly climb to the 4th floor via swinging ladder. Then, position Mr. Do to knock out the right block on the 4th floor to eliminate the 3rd unicorn (Figure 3-D).

post-24681-0-53294200-1315353949_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 3-D

4. Knock out all the KEY blocks and avoid eliminating 2 remaining unicorns. Then, go to the top of the castle and wait one of 2 remaining unicorns enters the top. Then, open the castle door and try to hit 2 remaining Bonus Letters with your Hammer or hitting a block (Figure 3-E).

post-24681-0-69611200-1315353956_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 3-E

Edited by oyamafamily

STRATEGY - SCENE 4 WITH YELLOW UNICORNS:

1. Go to the 2nd floor via Left Ladder; then knock out the blocks as shown on Figure 4-A (Be careful: don't knock out both SKULL blocks before the unicorns enter the 2nd floor).

post-24681-0-98154700-1315355353_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-A

2. Wait 2 unicorns (which are going to descend from the 3rd floor) enter the 2nd floor (Figure 4-B - note that one of these unicorns is going to enter the hole). Then, hit another SKULL block to eliminate the first 2 unicorns simultaneouly. Once you do this sucessfully, go to the next step.

post-24681-0-39711700-1315355363_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-B

3. Climb to 3rd floor via swinging ladder, go right guiding Mr. Do over this ladder and returning to the 2nd floor. Let one of 3 remaining unicorns (which is on the Right Ladder - Figure 4-C) enters the 2nd floor and quickly climb to the 3rd floor via swinging ladder. Then, position Mr. Do to knock out the KEY block on the 3rd floor to eliminate the 3rd unicorn (Figure 4-D).

post-24681-0-40704400-1315355369_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-C

post-24681-0-19294500-1315355374_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-D

4. Go to the left and guide Mr. Do over the ladder via returning to the 2nd floor (Figure 4-E - be careful to avoid touching the enemies). Descend to the basement and let one of 2 remaining unicorns enter the bottom of the castle (Figure 4-F). Position Mr. Do on the Left Ladder (Figure 4-F), but don't climb completely to the 1st floor. Wait the unicorn (which is at the bottom) moves to the left and passes through the swinging ladder without climbing. Then, guide Mr. Do to the 1st floor quickly and position him to hit the left block in order to kill the 4th unicorn (Figure 4-G).

post-24681-0-52114900-1315355379_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-E

post-24681-0-47154800-1315355385_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-F

post-24681-0-08886300-1315355392_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-G

5. Knock out all the remaining KEY blocks and avoid eliminating the last unicorn. Then, go to the top of the castle and wait this enemy enters the top. Then, open the castle door and hit the remaining Bonus Letter with your Hammer (Figure 4-H).

post-24681-0-01720600-1315355399_thumb.png<-----FIGURE 4-H

Edited by oyamafamily

SOME ADDITIONAL TIPS:

1) When you reach Scene 4 (Blue Castle) at the first time, DON'T KNOCK OUT the KEY BLOCK early. If you do this, you will take risks of touching one of Green Unicorns (which are faster).

2) The maximum number of lives is 9. With 9 lives, my advice is: DON'T completing the spelling of word E X T R A. Spell the first 4 letters (EXTR), sacrifice yourself via touching one of the unicorns ONCE. Then, complete the spelling of EXTRA to win another life. The spelling sequence is: E - X - T - R - A (on Atari 2600 Platform), while on the Arcade, the letters appear in the shields (which replaces the unicorns when Mr. Do opens the castle door).

3) On all Scenes, knock out all the KEY blocks when 1 or 2 unicorns are remaining in the castle. I always used this tactic to score many points as possible.

4) If you kill the last unicorn accidentaly after knocking out the 3 KEY blocks, DON'T BE AFRAID. You can complete the spelling of word EXTRA on the subsequent scenes.

Edited by oyamafamily