IGNORED

SIO2SD3 PCB released

mega-hz

Side loaded is fine by me.

Too bad the PIC is surface-mount, otherwise we might just buy the new partially made PCB and transfer PIC + LCD to the new one.

TBH, I've barely used my SIO2SD in the last year. SIO2PC is much preferable when loading freshly created or downloaded stuff and now with IDE +2 / SIDE, the old SIO devices take a back seat to all of the above.

Side loaded is fine by me.

Sure, but I'm speaking specifically about casing the unit up. This design is a lot saner than the earlier board, however, and I like the small form factor. We have mounting holes, which weren't there before, so at least it's now possible to secure the board to a case without resorting to drilling or hot-glueing. So I'll modify my original comment: in that respect, it's better suited to being cased up. However, the SD card slot is now less conveniently placed than before when it comes to housing the unit in - for example - an XM301 case.

You can always use one of the SD Card Extension Cables and mount it where you want, the length of the cable on mine was 12inches. I purchased one of EPAY and it works well.

Now those I do like. Saves me the trouble of removing the original SD card socket from the board.

Is this new design more "case-friendly" than previous pcb design?

Looks less so to me. SD card slot has moved its way from back to side, but needs to travel another 90 degrees till it finds its way to the front. ;)

If you look at the PCB the SD socket is surrounded by holes to enable that section to be cut out. All you need then is a suitable ribbon cable (to connect the PCBs back together) and you can locate the SD slot entrance anywhere you want in your case (within reason).

If you look at the PCB the SD socket is surrounded by holes to enable that section to be cut out. All you need then is a suitable ribbon cable (to connect the PCBs back together) and you can locate the SD slot entrance anywhere you want in your case (within reason).

Great - I missed that. This looks like a really well thought-out design, then.

You can always use one of the SD Card Extension Cables and mount it where you want, the length of the cable on mine was 12inches. I purchased one of EPAY and it works well.

The SIO2SD 3 looks pretty cool also.

I am interested in purchasing one or two of those.

Best Regards

Robert Miller

Hi venom4728a

Do you remember who the vendor was?

Thanks..

Is this new design more "case-friendly" than previous pcb design?

Much, much easier to case than the previous design. The only thing that I wish they had added are thru holes for the LED's to give the option of surface mount, or thru hole (if cased). VERY nicely done. I guess I need to redesign my SIO2SD enclosure now, grrrrrr......

cheers,

c

Anyone have a link for Wolfram's website? I can't seem to find it. Also, where are the CAD files hosted? I could have sworn I saw mention of Github or similar, but now I can't find it.

This what you're looking for?

http://mega-hz.no-ip.com/

There's a list of hardware here, but SIO2SD Rev 3 link appears broken.

Is this going to be firmware compatible with previous SIO2SDs or is my SIO2SD now obsolete?

From ABBUC's post linked by Wolfram:

- aktuelle Firmware 3.0rc5 geflasht

- flashed with current firmware 3.0rc5

That's the latest official SIO2SD firmware version (27.04.2011).

Therefore I think your SIO2SD is not obsolete (and hundreds of SIO2SD's are not obsolete too).

Hi Folks,

the SIO2SD3 isn't yet on my website! I'm working on it, as soon i have time for it!

Notes:

SD Card holder can be cut around those holes to be placed on other location!

Only solder 7 wires betwenn them.

SIO2SD3 is flashed with the newest firmware 3.0rc5, but it runs also with older version (not the real old ones with 7.xx Mhz Crystal, but 14.xx Mhz!)

There are really huge pads for soldering other types of keys or LEDs, so even a not-smd man should do this.

There is not a PIC but an ATMEGA32 on board.

For firmware-update you can use the onboard-update function or the ISP Connector an PonyPorg or so.

If someone made mistakes with the fuse bits, so there is no need to desolder the ATMEGA!

There is a big Pad on the bottom-side of the pcb for putting in a clock! Just make one wire from PHI2 or so to this Pad and you can flash the ATMEGA again with ISP! Great Funktion if you try and try and try.... :-)

a new key is the atmega-reset button, sometimes helpful.

Orders please only with a email!

mega-hz(at)t-online.de!

Price is 30Euro without LCD (if you already have one) or 35euro with white/black letters or blue/white letters!

Regards,

Wolfram.

• Like 1

Can the firmware be upgraded to disable the high speed SIO so that v3.x firmware works on an 800 ?

Thanks,

Jay

I am not a SIO2SD expert but two v3.x firmware loader versions exist, normal and turbo.

No problem, the sio2sd3 can not ONLY the sio high speed!

Of course it can make the 1050 speed too!

So no roblem with 400/800 or XLOS!