IGNORED

Bummer. Colecovision gets the screen garbage problem

Lendorien

Just got a Colocovision at an estate sale. Thing seemed to work fine for a while, but today I plugged it in and got garbage on the screen. The garbage always appears the same, for each game that is put in (meaning, if I put in Centipede and turn on and off the console, every time I turn it on it'll always show the same garbage for that game). I'm pretty sure it's not the power switch issue. Any suggestions?

:lol:

Man! ..... I just can't believe how many of those threads has been started in 2011 !!!

I think we should need to have a thread PNNED ... so everyone who experience CV problem could use that thread

We could all post those infos once for all into the very same thread

Theres just too many users asking for help for their CV system / controllers

:)

• Like 1

That would be a good idea actually. Having one spot with info would be really useful.Perhaps such a thread should be made.

I could also go back and use the search function, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I didn't realize it was that common a question.

Edited by Lendorien

It is VERY likely the power switch. I remove, clean, refurbish and solder back in place the power switch on every single console I touch. It is too common a problem not to do this.

If your going the DIY route please be careful and have a fair degree of solder and repair skills. Many people ruin ColecoVisions

After power switch this is the order of common problems in my experience

1. cart slot (dirty or bent pins)

2. power plug on back of unit having loose pins/ or power cord being a loose fit. Aside from replacing carefully smashing with channel lock pliers, wrapping electrical tape around the end of the power cord is a fix for this.

3. power supply

4. VDP (video display processor) 40 pin Integrated circuit. If this bad, you may as well look for another CV

5. one usually of the 8 (eight) 4116 DRAM ICs.

6. controller octal buffer IC, Mario jumps or moves automatically in a directions, or cart auto selects a skill level is a tell tale sign.

7. RF board

8. CPU

Other than the power switch I don't recommend a DIY, unless you have a high degree of repair skills. Many people have ruin CVs trying to replace ICs

Power switch is a $20 refurb if you would like me to do it for you. I have done a couple hundred and refurbishing the power switch is just as good as replacing, plus the original looks better.

Well, I don't have a high degree of electronics skills, but the power switch fix is well within my abilities. I have a desoldering iron.

I tried it. buffed the connectors and put in new grease. No dice.

The power plug is pretty tight, so I don't think that's the issue. Any suggestions on diagnosing any of these short of trial and error? I can provide screenshots if needed.

Well, I don't have a high degree of electronics skills, but the power switch fix is well within my abilities. I have a desoldering iron.

I tried it. buffed the connectors and put in new grease. No dice.

The power plug is pretty tight, so I don't think that's the issue. Any suggestions on diagnosing any of these short of trial and error? I can provide screenshots if needed.

Probably #3, #4 or #5 on my list. You need a multi-meter and a logic probe at least, unless you want to guess. There are too many variables to do a walk through repair, more than the list I gave you. I would be happy to look at it and give you a free estimate, if you want to send it to me. You really should wear a anti-static wrist strap like the link below when working on any electronics. ESD can cause all kinds or problems.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000095JBE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B000095JBE

Could it not be the power supply itself?

That's what I would suspect. I've owned dozens of Colecovisions over the years and the ones that I initially thought were defective usually worked fine after just swapping the power supply from a different CV. A CV ps that won't work right with one CV will often work fine with another CV. It's odd and they're finicky about PS. Your best option is to forgo those antique, out-of-spec CV ps entirely and buy an arcade machine ps off ebay. They can be had for around $10 and are more stable.