IGNORED

Atari 2600 "Loaner Cartridge"???

colwyn

I recently picked up some Atari 2600 and 5200 cartridges from my local thrift store and they are heavier than normal 2600 and 5200 cartridges. They also say "Loaner cartridge" on the front (the label is all in black and white) with no side labels (blank stickers for the 2600 games). They say "Title" with a sticker on it (and some with a date) and then "Return To Prototype lab, Consumer Division, Software Dept." and then the Atari logo. Does anyone have any information on these? Are they legit? I have scanned pictures if you would like to email me so I can send them to you (jtoubeaux@earthlink.net). The games are: 2600 - Oscar's Trash (x2), Pengo EPROM (with a date of 01-04-84), Taz EPROM (x2), Gremlins (x2, with a date of 04-23-84). 5200 - Rescue on Fractalus, Choplifter EPROM, Robotron EPROM. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - I don't have a 5200 right now but I do have a 2600 so i will try out the 2600 games.

Jon

Nice score! Finding lab loaners in the wild is always cause for celebration. I can tell you a bit about those prototypes you have:

Oscar's Trash: Can't tell you much without a date, but it's probably the final version (I have yet to see a WIP Oscar)

Pengo 01-04-84: This is the final version

Taz EPROM : Once again, can't say much without a date

Gremlins 04-23-84: Final Version

The 5200 ones are most like the final versions, but without the dates it's impossible to say.

Tempest

Well, thank you all very much for your info. I really appreciate your time to inform me of this find. I have been an Atari enthusiast since I was 10 years old back in 1980 and I bought my first 2600. It was all Atari after that. Anyway, here are the scans. The first scan is the 5200 games with one 2600 game, and the second scan are the rest of the 2600 games. Unfortunately, not all of the games have dates on them as you have already told me. I will probably be interested in selling these. BTW - I paid $4.21 for the whole lot. From what you have told me, this sounds like a good deal.

Many, many thanks

Jon

p.s. - tested the 2600 games and they all work. Good games, too. Better than normal 2600 games. Unable to test the 5200 games, but the contacts look clean!

post-2828-1041895525_thumb.jpg

Southern California, that would explain alot. Many ex-Atari employees took lab loaners when the left. Once they got rid of their collections they ended up in thrift stores or garage sales in the southern Cal. area.

Sure as hell no lab loaners in Michigan that's for sure! :)

Tempest

• Like 1

Southern California, that would explain alot. Many ex-Atari employees took lab loaners when the left. Once they got rid of their collections they ended up in thrift stores or garage sales in the southern Cal. area.

Sure as hell no lab loaners in Michigan that's for sure! :)

Tempest

Hehe, probably because ex-Atari employees wouldn't want to move to Michigan after they lived in Sunnyvale or the surrounding area for a while. :)

I just wanted to say many thanks for the info and the offers for the prototypes. I have already sold most of them, however I do have two left (very rare ones, actually)- Pengo 2600, Gremlins 2600. If you would like to make an offer on either or both of these, please email me at jtoubeaux@earthlink.net. I would rather not put these on eBay, as I believe that I should offer them first to a great Atari website and Atari enthusiasts. Anyway, many thanks to all who have emailed me and posted here. Very professional, very friendly. Great website!!

Jon

Southern California, that would explain alot. Many ex-Atari employees took lab loaners when the left

I found two 2600 lab loaners myself over a year ago in two different Goodwills on the same day (Santa Cruz Ca, and Watsonville Ca), probably from a central distribution area. The carts were marked Defender and Volleyball. Thought that the last one might have been an undiscovered proto but it was just RS Volleyball, both seemed identical to the released versions. I plan to keep them, but does anyone know the rough price for lab loaners?

I found two 2600 lab loaners myself over a year ago in two different Goodwills on the same day (Santa Cruz Ca, and Watsonville Ca), probably from a central distribution area. The carts were marked Defender and Volleyball. Thought that the last one might have been an undiscovered proto but it was just RS Volleyball, both seemed identical to the released versions. I plan to keep them, but does anyone know the rough price for lab loaners?

Sounds like you found Bob Polaro's old stash (he was the programmer for both). Common released prototypes that are the same as the final generally go for around $50. Rarer games like Gremlins, Pengo, or Obelix can go for much more. Anywhere from $75 to $100+. If they're WIP versions they can go for much more.

Are you the same guys who get 6 card 21's at the Blackjack table?

I actually had that happen to me in Vegas this year.

Tempest

I plan to keep them, but does anyone know the rough price for lab loaners?

The cheapest I ever saw a Lab Loaner go for on ePay was $79 for Pac-Man 5200 (but that doesn't mean they haven't been sold for less). For unavailable protos never officially released, the sky's the limit. I guess it depends on the hype surrounding the game. :D

All prototypes sold - many thanks! I have found numerous Atari items at my local thrift stores, from 2600 to 8-bit computers (recently found 2 810 disk drives) to a complete 520ST system for $10. It's fun, but the prototype find will go down in my Atari history book as THE find!! I'll stick around, I love this website!

Jon

Back in 1994, I placed an ad looking for some Atari cartridges, and somebody sold me a whole box full of games for $15. Included in the bunch were Demolition Herby and a Gremlins "lab loaner." Had no idea a Gremlins "lab loaner" would go for $75-$100. Glad I didn't get rid of it when I finally found a silver label version! :D

• 11 years later...