IGNORED

My Wii2600 and more controller mods

pimpmaul69

since i think i was wrong posting these in the atari 2600 since no one seemed to care i might have better luck posting them here. these are two mods i did. one is taking a nunchuck and making an atari 2600 paddle for wii2600. the other is a classic controller mod that lets me run all atari controllers even with rapidfire and for genesis i can use a 3 button genesis controller only by moving 2 wires inside the genesis controller to make a and c buttons work. i also can do some simple wire movement inside an sms, atari 7800 and msx controller to make them work. i can make an nes controller work if i just replace wiring with a genesis cable. on the classic controller box it has 3 buttons for select home and start. the switch is for controllers and the other direction is to use an atari paddle. the only mod on the paddle i had to do was wire a ground wire from the button inside the paddle to the 3rd leg on the potentiometer inside the paddle.

post-30773-0-75830700-1317262104_thumb.jpgpost-30773-0-68613000-1317262119_thumb.jpg

post-30773-0-28414800-1317262186_thumb.jpgpost-30773-0-49874200-1317262202_thumb.jpg

post-30773-0-34353300-1317262222_thumb.jpgpost-30773-0-81844100-1317262246_thumb.jpg

post-30773-0-32792100-1317262312_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I too would be very interested in step by step instructions and soldering points for this build. Love to have a working 2600 joystick via the nunchuk port for Wii2600. Your materials look easy to find. Very clever!

i will do a joystick mod to show u how.. it is obviously different than paddle mod and i will have to seperate the grounds in the joystick

Edited by pimpmaul69

And without further ado, my atari joystick nunchuck mod.

post-30773-0-94725600-1320205076_thumb.jpg

First desolder everything from the board.

post-30773-0-03179100-1320205150_thumb.jpg

Remove the potentiometers and super glue them in the center position so they dont shift or fall out.

post-30773-0-70491900-1320205232_thumb.jpg

Cut off all the excess rubber from the cable. Do not remove metal bar.

post-30773-0-91743000-1320205330_thumb.jpg

Run the cable through the controller and solder back in. Bend the pins on the pots after they are dry and solder them in as such. Also it might be best to hot glue the plug wire where you removed the excess rubber to hold the wire in place.

post-30773-0-12242400-1320205464_thumb.jpg

solder wires to the potentiometers and the 2 points for the button. The green wire is soldered to the center pin. On a side note do not use big and strong wires to use as the button wires, you will rip the traces out.

post-30773-0-89453100-1320205703_thumb.jpg

Cut the traces where the X's are. Pay attention to how the wire were soldered on the nunchuck board and solder them matching how they are on the atari board. Also solder the 3 jumper wires you see.

post-30773-0-65869200-1320206257_thumb.jpg

Put the controller back together.

post-30773-0-79541400-1320206405_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 11/1/2011 at 11:00 PM, pimpmaul69 said:

And without further ado, my atari joystick nunchuck mod.
[attachment=224020:2 011.jpg]

First desolder everything from the board.
[attachment=224021:2 002.jpg]

Remove the potentiometers and super glue them in the center position so they dont shift or fall out.
[attachment=224022:2 003.jpg]

Cut off all the excess rubber from the cable. Do not remove metal bar.
[attachment=224032:2 004.jpg]

Run the cable through the controller and solder back in. Bend the pins on the pots after they are dry and solder them in as such. Also it might be best to hot glue the plug wire where you removed the excess rubber to hold the wire in place.
[attachment=224034:2 005.jpg]

solder wires to the potentiometers and the 2 points for the button. The green wire is soldered to the center pin. On a side note do not use big and strong wires to use as the button wires, you will rip the traces out.
[attachment=224036:2 010.jpg]

Cut the traces where the X's are. Pay attention to how the wire were soldered on the nunchuck board and solder them matching how they are on the atari board. Also solder the 3 jumper wires you see.
[attachment=224037:2 008.jpg]

Put the controller back together.
[attachment=224038:2 012.jpg]

Unfortunately the pics seem to be gone, probably because of the age of this post.  With the NES Classic being modded to play, among other things, Atari 2600 games this should be revived.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:34 PM, JimmySweatpants said:

Unfortunately the pics seem to be gone, probably because of the age of this post.  With the NES Classic being modded to play, among other things, Atari 2600 games this should be revived.

OK, the pics are back.  Weird.  Also, I guess, from what I've read, doing this mod and plugging into a NES/SNES Classic would not work.  Bummer.  Playing Atari games with Nintendo controllers just ain't right.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:58 AM, JimmySweatpants said:

OK, the pics are back.  Weird.  Also, I guess, from what I've read, doing this mod and plugging into a NES/SNES Classic would not work.  Bummer.  Playing Atari games with Nintendo controllers just ain't right.

yes they wont work on the nes/snes classics

Edited by pimpmaul69

25 minutes ago, pimpmaul69 said:

Which one didn’t work? Joystick or paddle? Joystick should work fine but the paddles wont because the classics use retroarch lr-stella core instead of standalone stella. And lr-stella sees the analog sticks as d-pads instead of true analogs. 

I haven't actually tried using the Wii nunchuk guts/cord with an Atari joystick yet.  I was just going by YouTube videos I've seen that said Wii nunchuks won't work on a NES/SNES Classic, so I assumed the modded joystick with the nunchuk guts wouldn't work either.

Edited by JimmySweatpants

13 minutes ago, JimmySweatpants said:

I haven't actually tried using the Wii nunchuk guts/cord with an Atari joystick yet.  I was just going by YouTube videos I've seen that said Wii nunchuks won't work on a NES/SNES Classic, so I assumed the modded joystick with the nunchuk guts wouldn't work either.

i just tested, no they do not work at all on the nes/snes classics. i edited my last post to reflect that.

So I did some experimenting with my cheap aftermarket Wii Classic controller and it worked pretty well when I tested it. Each of the 6 buttons on the NES controller (left, right, up , down, A, and B) have two parts. When the NES controller is assembled pressing each of the buttons creates a connection between the two parts and activates that button. 

You can wire the 4 directions and the fire button on the Atari joystick to one side of each of the 6 two-part NES controller buttons. Then wire the 6 Atari joystick ground wires to the other side of each NES controller button. 

When looking at the female end of the Atari connector the pins will be 54321 on the top and 9876 on the bottom. Here's what I did: 

1) Split the ground wire (Atari joystick pin #8) into 6 wires, one for each direction and one each for the A & B buttons. 
2) Wire those 6 ground wires to one side of the each of the 6 NES controller buttons we care about (left, right, up , down, A, and B). It appears that connecting them to either side of the two-part NES buttons works fine. 
3) Wire the 4 Atari joystick directional wires to the 4 NES controller directional spots on the side opposite where you wired each ground wire. 
Pin #1 - Up 
Pin #2 - Down 
Pin #3 - Left 
Pin #4 - Right 
4) Split the Atari joystick fire button into two and wire them to the A and B buttons of the NES controller like in step 3. 
Pin #6 - Fire button 

The four directions work perfectly and the fire button presses A and B simultaneously, which on a modded NES/SNES Classic is fine because only A or B are ever usable on any screen at any time when it comes to the Atari menu/games, not both. 

I only messed things up when I went to make the wiring permanent instead of having the wires taped in place. I am not good at soldering and the circuit board is just too small for me. I jacked it all up. If I want this to really work I'll have to find help in that department.

Upon more consideration, I will adjust my earlier post with this:

To hook up a joystick to a NES-style controller for the NES Classic:
1) No need to split the ground wire (Atari joystick pin #8) into 6 wires like I originally stated.  Grounding the joystick once on the controller circuit board should do. 
2) The aftermarket controller I used (not the Wii Classic clone) has a specific ground side for each button (see pics).  The ground trace runs around the entire perimeter of the board so that all the Dpad buttons on the left have the ground on the left, the A & B buttons on the right have the ground on the right, and the grounds for Select & Start are in the middle of them.
3) Wire the 4 Atari joystick directional wires to the 4 NES controller directional spots on the side opposite where each ground spot is. 
Pin #1 - Up, Pin #2 - Down, Pin #3 - Left, Pin #4 - Right 
4) Split the Atari joystick fire button into two and wire them to the A and B buttons of the NES controller like in step 3.   Since on a modded NES Classic A is used primarily to select folders and games and B is primarily used only as the Fire button in the Atari games, this setup should work fine.  Pin #6 of the joystick is the Fire button 

To hook up a joystick to a NES-style controller for the NES Classic through an Atari Flashback (in theory, I have not done it yet):
1) Do all the same steps, 1-4, above only instead of using the wires from your joystick pins use the corresponding wires from the male joystick port to hook up to the NES-style controller, all in the same way as with the joystick.  So when you plug in your joystick to the Flashback port you are essentially still connecting your joystick to the NES-style controller, just through the Flashback.
2) Take the ground wire from one of the Flashback console buttons and wire it to the NES-style controller in any grounding spot on the circuit board.  The joystick port (both ports if you're using both of them) and one of the Flashback console buttons must be grounded.  Grounding just one or the other will not do, they are 2 (or 3 if both joystick ports are wired up) separate entities that each need to be grounded.
3) You can do the exact same for port #2 to allow for 2 joysticks to be used (Player 1 and Player 2).  You will have the controller cords for each NES-style controller coming out of the Flashback, but I don't think anyone cares.
4) Wire the hot wire from the Flashback Select button to the NES-style controller Select button.  Do likewise for the Start button.  You DON'T need to do this step to the Player 2 controller.
5) I THINK this step will work, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Since my modded NES allows you to leave a game and go back to the menu (like the Home button would do with a Wii Classic controller) when Select and Down are held simultaneously, you can wire the Flashback's Power button to BOTH the Select and Down buttons of the NES-style controller.  Holding down the Flashback's Power button for two or so seconds will take you out of the game and back to the menu.  Again, only do this to the Player 1 controller.
6) The Flashback’s Difficulty buttons may be able to be used to set the difficulty.  I’m not sure yet.

This all looks right to me and the first part has been tested on the controller pictured.  I haven’t attempted soldering yet because I suck at it, but there seems to be a lot more room on these controllers than the Wii Classic clone I originally tried, so I’m hoping I won’t mess it up.

Let me know if you have suggestions/ideas that can help me or the next guy

NES Controller Atermarket.jpg

NES Controller Board.jpg

Edited by JimmySweatpants
Clarity

On 10/3/2011 at 9:05 AM, Lord Helmet said:

Ooohhhh! I need to make me one of those paddles. Great mod!

Would love to have a paddle for BitTrip games. Anyone know if it would work? Right now it works on motion (rotation of the controller). A paddle would be killer for that.