IGNORED

Homebrew Cart/Rom Release Idea

65Gamerguy

I had an idea today and I thought I would propose it to all new game developers.

I know that roms on the web of games that some of you have created take away from your profits. I understand and respect that. Now with emulators, which I don't use, and USB and SD cartridges we can play roms of games which is a problem if the rom was not supposed to be released.

Personally I would prefer to have new games on a cartridge that I can play on the actual system. But if a rom is the only way to get a game I am willing to pay to get one since I can now do that as well.

My thoughts are that when someone buys an actual cartridge wouldn't it be possible to include in the documentation, instruction manual, or even a seperate piece of paper, with a website and password, to get a rom if they want? Then only the purchaser of the game they legally bought would have access to the rom. You could offer the rom for free or charge whatever is appropriate.

Just my thoughts. I am sure someone here as better ideas.

Just between you and me (and everyone else), I wouldn't do what you propose. Once the ROM is out there, believe me, it's going to be used in private ROM trades via e-mail, and once that happens, it's only a matter of time before the ROM finds its way to people who won't buy the game since they already got the ROM for free.

Nice try. ;)

• Like 1

The only way I would buy a ROM is if that was the only way the developer would sell it because he didn't feel like making carts and boxes. Otherwise I would rather have a cart and box and instructions.

However, I can also afford this crazy obsession I have so I understand the people that don't have the means wanting to find a cheaper way to play the games. Maybe you can start to do some sharing like other sites have done with books, dvds, and cds where you both pay for shipping and you switch games for a few months so that you have that game to play.

Just between you and me (and everyone else), I wouldn't do what you propose. Once the ROM is out there, believe me, it's going to be used in private ROM trades via e-mail, and once that happens, it's only a matter of time before the ROM finds its way to people who won't buy the game since they already got the ROM for free.

Nice try. ;)

I guess there are a lot more dishonest people out there than I would like to admit. I just thought maybe it would cut down on the sharing of roms, but it only takes one person before the cat is out of the bag.

I would never do it myself. Maybe that puts me in the minority.

I agree with ColecoDan. I would prefer to have a cartridge but I would be willing to pay for roms of games that are no longer made in cartridge form or if the developer didn't want to make cartridges.

I wish I had an answer to solve the problem because there are several games that I didn't get a chance to purchase.

Too bad we don't live in a perfect world.

mmmmmm on the coleco there would be a way to know from where the leaked rtom source comes from ie: title screen you guys could write the name of the owner in the rom itself (i mean common it's so easy to do)

that way you programmers can join him /her directly if a leak happens

now my 2 cents i like the daniel bienvenu approach on this ie:release games on cart limited copies and after a while release the rom on his website...and i would even pay for dan works on rom) i really support you guys all your homebrew ideas but if you guys want to continue to code on coleco hardware (console) will be harder and harder one day to find (hello power supply failure!!!)

• 4 weeks later...

mmmmmm on the coleco there would be a way to know from where the leaked rtom source comes from ie: title screen you guys could write the name of the owner in the rom itself (i mean common it's so easy to do)

that way you programmers can join him /her directly if a leak happens

now my 2 cents i like the daniel bienvenu approach on this ie:release games on cart limited copies and after a while release the rom on his website...and i would even pay for dan works on rom) i really support you guys all your homebrew ideas but if you guys want to continue to code on coleco hardware (console) will be harder and harder one day to find (hello power supply failure!!!)

I would pay for carts or roms as well. In fact I have had a rom of Star Fortress for a while but I paid for a cart of it just a week or so just so that I could have an actual cartridge.

I guess I am in the minority, but I respect the work all the programmers/developers do too much to steal from them so if I can buy a cart or rom, I will.

...but if you guys want to continue to code on coleco hardware (console) will be harder and harder one day to find (hello power supply failure!!!)

That being the case, it's time to stock up on a bunch of Stand-Alone ADAM Computer Systems (that have a built-in ColecoVision) and Converted PC Power Supplies... I'll make a killing eventually???

But seriously, there may come a time in the future when working power supplies are hard to come by and many dread that day. A good solution would be to save those dead CV Power Supplies so that the non-standard power connector can be reused with a Switching Arcade P.S. or other P.S. that provides the necessary voltages (+12, -5, +5).

There are plenty of good working power supplies out there. There is usually a guy on ebay selling NOS for $14.

I like your idea of cutting the cords off and saving them. I have 4 or 5 junk ones that I should do that with.