IGNORED

600XL Video Upgrade/KJMann V2.0 S-video

Larry

I've never owned a 600XL, but now I've got one! I've also never thought of the 600XL as particularly "small," but sitting next to my 1200XL's -- WOW. So I'm looking for all manner of info to help "bring me up to speed" on this "junior XL." For now I've used a RAM 320XL module to bring up the ram. BTW, the REMAP feature worked perfectly on my 16KB XL. For now, I'll also use an internal flash MyIDE as the hard drive. That just leaves the video in need of upgrade.

I have a KJMann S-Video upgrade V2.0 module, and S-Video is all I want or need, so I plan to install it. This is where the fun begins. I have downloaded the docs from the KJMann web site, and I also remember that there were some photos here at AA (which might even be the same ones as are at his web site), but they appear to have been removed. In fact, I can't find the original threads at all, but maybe I'm just using the wrong search words. (?)

So... has anyone successfully installed one of these in an NTSC 600XL? Anyone know where the original thread(s) are?

Related question: I'm planning on removing the RF modulator. How is the best way to do that? Lift the upper "lid" then remove the innards, and finally desolder the base? That is a lot of solder on there!

Thanks,

Larry

To pull a modulator, I just 'cam' it out. You slide a small screwdriver tip under the base, near a solder lug, heat the lug with a good-sized (40 watt) iron and force the board away from the lug and let it solidify again. You are basically bending the PCB, so take it in very small steps, starting at the edge of the PCB. Work your way around the different lugs, prying carefully. After 6 or 8 cycles, the modulator will be free.

The signal pins - I normally just cut them loose from the board before I start on the lugs. Hope you aren't planning on re-installing the old modulator...

By the way, if you pull the modulator on a 1200XL, you have to add a ground jumper from the modulator ground pin to the ground plane. Don't know if a 600XL would need that or not.

Bob

I've never owned a 600XL, but now I've got one! I've also never thought of the 600XL as particularly "small," but sitting next to my 1200XL's -- WOW. So I'm looking for all manner of info to help "bring me up to speed" on this "junior XL." For now I've used a RAM 320XL module to bring up the ram. BTW, the REMAP feature worked perfectly on my 16KB XL. For now, I'll also use an internal flash MyIDE as the hard drive. That just leaves the video in need of upgrade.

I have a KJMann S-Video upgrade V2.0 module, and S-Video is all I want or need, so I plan to install it. This is where the fun begins. I have downloaded the docs from the KJMann web site, and I also remember that there were some photos here at AA (which might even be the same ones as are at his web site), but they appear to have been removed. In fact, I can't find the original threads at all, but maybe I'm just using the wrong search words. (?)

So... has anyone successfully installed one of these in an NTSC 600XL? Anyone know where the original thread(s) are?

Related question: I'm planning on removing the RF modulator. How is the best way to do that? Lift the upper "lid" then remove the innards, and finally desolder the base? That is a lot of solder on there!

Thanks,

Larry

HI-

I'll be happy to compare notes with you passing on anything useful I find. I probably won't do any actual installation work for a couple of weeks yet ('til our weather turns sour!).

For now, here is a link to his web site with the "docs" zip:

http://atari-sales.c...ore/frames.html

Click on "Hardware Upgrades"

-Larry

Seems Kjmanns account here is gone I need the Pics/instructions for the 600xl install I have 2 to install and finally getting time but the pics/inst are gone

kjmann is not 'gone' he has changed his nick when he stopped coming here... his nick is now '.....'

http://www.atariage....-video-upgrade/

sloopy.

Care to elaborate? I know he was taking a beating here some time ago.

no idea, he was getting flak for making carts of recently (within the last 2-3 years) of stuff, and didnt ask for permission from the authors, is the way i understand it...

for the detail, i would guess search the archives...

(the only reason i noticed the nick change is i had a msg from him, saw the nick and didnt recognize it, and looked into it, and then realized who it was...)

sloopy.

Hi Sloopy-

Thanks for the link. I do remember that thread. The V3 looks a lot simpler than my V2. It would be interesting to see how they compare in performance.

BTW, I refer to your listing & pinout of Atari major IC's all the time. Really useful, and so handy to have all the info on one sheet!

-Larry

Hi Sloopy-

Thanks for the link. I do remember that thread. The V3 looks a lot simpler than my V2. It would be interesting to see how they compare in performance.

BTW, I refer to your listing & pinout of Atari major IC's all the time. Really useful, and so handy to have all the info on one sheet!

-Larry

yeah i use it alot, i have added to it.... and still waiting for someone to point out the error in it :')

sloopy.

Is the updated version available for download?

BTW, my guess because it caught my eye on the sheet -- is Freddie a 40-pin IC? I didn't remember it being a "big one."

yeah i use it alot, i have added to it.... and still waiting for someone to point out the error in it :')

sloopy.

• 9 months later...

when i pretty it up, i will post it... mostly just added the ports, and such...

sloopy.

Sloopy,

Has this been updated yet, or are you still getting it prettied up? I could use it before I begin my U1m upgrade. Since this upgrade uses the OS socket I will be taking out the MyIDE internal upgrade.

Or even a link to the original... IF it hasn't been updated.

sloopy.

Sloopy,

Has this been updated yet, or are you still getting it prettied up? I could use it before I begin my U1m upgrade. Since this upgrade uses the OS socket I will be taking out the MyIDE internal upgrade.

sloopy.

Sloopy,

the main thing is the IC's dont show the their names, for some reason the 'layer' with their names is under the 'layer' with the block outline, and it hasnt been a high priority to fix, as i can tell which IC is which by what lines they have...

I will ask a minion to pretty it up bit, and then post it...

also, only one person has noticed the mistake on it so far...

sloopy.

• 4 months later...

KJMann's video mods are now downloadable DIY projects, here:

http://www.karaokeportland.com/svid.html

I've been tweaking these mods a bit while upgrading a couple of 600XLs over the weekend, and I'll be writing up the changes shortly. Suffice it to say I think KJMann's mods - slightly augmented - provide unsurpassed s-video quality. Best looking 600XL picture I've ever seen on a modern LCD, older LCD, and 1084S.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

KJMann's video mods are now downloadable DIY projects, here:

http://www.karaokepo...d.com/svid.html

I've been tweaking these mods a bit while upgrading a couple of 600XLs over the weekend, and I'll be writing up the changes shortly. Suffice it to say I think KJMann's mods - slightly augmented - provide unsurpassed s-video quality. Best looking 600XL picture I've ever seen on a modern LCD, older LCD, and 1084S.

Hey Jon, is the parts list/schematics available for this upgrade? I'd like to build one for my 600XL, the link you provided is for installation but does not have parts/schematics listed.

Thanks

...is the parts list/schematics available for this upgrade? I'd like to build one for my 600XL, the link you provided is for installation but does not have parts/schematics listed.

There's really no more to it than what you see in the 600XL installation docs:

47 ohm resistor (luma)

22uf 16v cap (chroma)

And if you want the chroma switch:

75 ohm resistor

It's so simple that I often wondered how the mod ever warranted being placed on a PCB in the first place. In-line components and two lengths of wire.

I've done this upgrade but my results are less than satisfactory (see the videos).

The pros of the upgrade are, easy to do, sharp and well defined letters in s-video (may not be obvious from the videos below) , and more connectivity options, however the picture has strong vertical banding and some waves scrolling from bottom to the top, sometimes from top to bottom.

I've used two 150 ohms resistors in parallel since I did not have a 75 ohm handy, and I used some of the unpopulated motherboard vias (after checking that they are not connected to anywhere on the motherboard). I've also used a monitor jack to connect the signals to (from a donor 130XE). I wonder if these might be the cause of my banding and wave problems. Problems seem to occur on my LCD monitor only, CRT display on my SONY 32" TV is crisp and clear with no visible bands or waves.

I use an EasyCap video capture device on my laptop and banding is always a problem with that capture device/LCD combination (although more pronounced in this 600XL upgrade than any other Atari computer I have), but waves, i never experienced before so it makes me think that something has gone wrong with the upgrade.

I've only used a 47 ohm resistor on Luma line, a 22 uf capacitor, and the 75 ohm resistor (2x150 ohm in parallel) on Chroma Line. Audio is from pin 2 of the now removed RF modulator and I have a switch on the Chroma line which connects the 75 ohm resistor to ground for Composite output (which is not currently connected to the 5 pin DIN).

Please check the photo(s) attached to see if you can locate a problem with the upgrade. Composite is not currently connected and my guess is I would need diods on the Luma and Chroma lines before I combine them (no mention of this in kjmann's documentation)

http://youtu.be/BliaIaQvAVI

http://youtu.be/4JXdYXFv6mE

post-15627-0-76064300-1360538169_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-53767900-1360538181_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez