IGNORED

Video Card install for CV VGA video output

Yurkie

I would like to offering installing a 40 pin socket in place of the VDP. And then installing the video card mentioned in this thread.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/168968-f18a/

It completely replaces the video output circuitry, so it won't matter if there is a bad RF board or bad DRAM chips. Since it will be brand new hardware, and video issues are the main ColecoVision problem this seems like a good thing.

As I said above it will insert into a 40 pin socket where the VDP was and will ouput VGA video. I would then also install a jack for audio.

Not sure what the cost will be and also not sure when the gentleman making the video card will finish and start offering it for sale.

This could probably be offered 2 ways.

Replace the VDP with a 40 pin socket and person plugs the video card in themselves and installs the jacks on the back of the console on their own.

OR

The above, plus installing jacks on the back of the console. Perhaps with cords included.

This is mostly to gauge interest in this service.

I suppose people with extra CVs (especially ones with video issues) could have the socket installed now if they wanted. It's a pain to remove a 40 pin IC without either breaking the chip or messing up traces, so I will be cutting the pins and desoldering each pin 1 at a time. I'll do the 40 pin socket install for $25 if anyone wants to get that done now and install the video themselves later. Add a $20 power switch refurbishing and I'll throw in the cart slot cleaning for free.

Comments and question are welcome

• Like 1

Well I'm extremely interested and will say that I am definately in for two units (but would like to do the install the mod myself if that option will be available - I just enjoy DIY). Although I like the component video mod by 5-11under, the image is very soft around the edges and there is vertical banding present which I suspect are limitations imposed by using the existing video chip and circuitry. I am assuming that the VGA mod would eliminate these issues and thus would allow the CV to be played on big screen TVs (and even projectors) with the image still looking crisp and clear.

Edited by Ikrananka

Well I'm extremely interested and will say that I am definately in for two units (but would like to do the install the mod myself if that option will be available - I just enjoy DIY). Although I like the component video mod by 5-11under, the image is very soft around the edges and there is vertical banding present which I suspect are limitations imposed by using the existing video chip and circuitry. I am assuming that the VGA mod would eliminate these issues and thus would allow the CV to be played on big screen TVs (and even projectors) with the image still looking crisp and clear.

For DIY, you'll of course be able to buy from Matt (code/hack/create) directly, once it's available, of course. The VGA output should be pretty much be as good as VGA can be, I think.

For DIY, you'll of course be able to buy from Matt (code/hack/create) directly, once it's available, of course. The VGA output should be pretty much be as good as VGA can be, I think.

Who is Matt ?

Also, what about you told me about VGA mod?

Who is Matt ?

Matt is the person creating the FPGA VDP as detailed by Yurkie in the first post of this thread (checkout the link that Yurkie provided).

Who is Matt ?

Matt is the person creating the FPGA VDP as detailed by Yurkie in the first post of this thread (checkout the link that Yurkie provided).

Doh! .... sorry

• 10 months later...

I have componet video today and on some games like Gorf and Galaxian the games look great and nice and bright, but then say 1/2 way through the first level the screen turns darkish. Game is still playable, but I was hoping native VGA would not have this issue. Have you played either of those games?

Other games don't have an issue, just these two (so far) with component.

Edited by grips03

How are the black levels? I have componet video today and on some games like Gorf and Galaxian the games look great and nice and bright, but then say 1/2 way through the first level the screen turns darkish. Game is still playable, but I was hoping native VGA would not have this issue. Have you played either of those games?

I did not get back my system yet, but will keep people update here on my thoughs about the VGA mod

Right now, I'm playing using Yurkie's Refurbished system and can't complain at all , super well done!

I'm just curious to compare both Composite and VGA mods ...... We'll see ;)

did the Colecovision VGA card ever come out?

Yes.

I took pre orders in February to get an initial idea of how many boards I would need to make. I finally released sometime in July and all the pre order boards have been shipped (finished a few weeks ago actually). So far there are about 65 F18A boards out in the wild, and about about 25% of those were destined for a Colecovision. I have done a lot of testing in my CV and a borrowed ADAM, as well as the 99/4A (of course), about 4 or 5 MSX1 systems, the Tomy Tutor, Spectravision 328, and the SEGA SG-1000.

Now that the pre orders are done, I will keep about 4 to 10 units built and on-hand, and I will build more boards as the stock runs low (1 to 2 boards left), or as needed. The cost is $98 for the F18A.

So far all the feedback I have received has been positive and people are very happy with the F18A and the video quality.

Notes about the Colecovision install:

1. You have to remove the 9928 that is soldered to the board and replace it with a socket. This was the main topic of this thread. Removing the 9928 intact (or without damaging the CV motherboard) is not easy without the right tools, and if you are not confident with your desoldering skills, I highly recommend you take up the OP's offer to install a socket in your CV.

2. When you order the F18A, make sure you specify you are installing in a CV so I can send you a unit with taller PCB pins. The order form has a system option, so select the correct one. Some systems, like the CV, have other taller components located near the 9928, and the taller pins help get the F18A board up and out of the way. Other systems need the low-profile pins (like the 99/4A) due to height restrictions of the case, etc.

3. Make sure you understand that you will still need to get audio out of your CV. In the CV, C88 is a good place to pick up the audio and route it to an RCA connector that you could install in the back of your case. Again, the OP is offering to do this mod and I recommend the service if you are not comfortable modding your case or soldering to your CV motherboard.

4. NO, you CANNOT piggy-back the F18A on top of the 9928, so don't even try it. This will probably destroy your F18A and CV, and I will not replace an F18A that has been abused like that.

The F18A is available via my web store: http://codehackcreate.com/store

Please ask if you have questions. This forum is a good place for discussion, questions, comments, or concerns. I have posted a ton of photos of the F18A in operation on many systems (including the CV) over in my thread in the 99/4A sub-forum (see the link in the first post of this thread), but I have attached some CV and ADAM photos here too. Enjoy.

post-24952-0-45999400-1345434466_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-16666400-1345434468_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-36448100-1345434469_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-49146600-1345434470_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-45083500-1345434491_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-47038500-1345434492_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-98282400-1345434493_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-04293200-1345434495_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-18365700-1345434496_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-21322200-1345434497_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-26772400-1345434510_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-43051500-1345434511_thumb.jpg