IGNORED

1450 Motherboard needed

Vandal968

I recently built an Atari 1450 motherboard from a bare pcb, the thread is here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/186380-1450-xld-motherboard-build-assorted-questions/

This was a very big job, and as far as I can tell, I'm the first person to ever successfully do this. I spent a few hundred hours on this and I have shared ALL of my build information here at AtariAge so that others can replicate this build if they choose to do so. I ordered doubles of most of the parts, since if the build was successful I had hoped to build two. I kind of shot myself in the foot when I announced the build in this forum since Best Electronics which had the bare motherboards in-stock for 20+ years sold-out within 5 days of me announcing the build. If I had kept it quiet, I could have easily gotten a second board.

I was hoping that someone might have a spare board that they'd be willing to part with. Maybe you bought two and don't need both, or you have one laying around and you know that you'll never build it (it's a big job). If so, I'd really like to take it off your hands (I'd reimburse your costs & shipping). I have a friend who is a professional photographer and has offered to do a time-lapse series on the build, so that the board can be seen going from bare to complete in maybe 50 photos. I took some pictures of the first build, but the photos were not very good, and there are very few pictures since I didn't know if I'd ultimately be successful or not. As always, I will continue to share all build information with the awesome AtariAge community.

Can anyone help a brother out? Please PM me if you can.

thank you,

c

• Like 1

If there is PCB artwork for it, more boards could be etched... (probably not at home assuming the board is layered). It will cost to print boards up, but maybe if threres enough group interest..

Not the answer you're looking for right now, I know...

Curt Vendel has already stated that more 1450 circuit board can be manufactured if there is sufficient demand:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/186380-1450-xld-motherboard-build-assorted-questions/page__view__findpost__p__2364812

T

• 5 weeks later...

kind of shot myself in the foot when I announced the build in this forum since Best Electronics which had the bare motherboards in-stock for 20+ years sold-out within 5 days of me announcing the build. If I had kept it quiet, I could have easily gotten a second board.

Typical of Best Electronics

kind of shot myself in the foot when I announced the build in this forum since Best Electronics which had the bare motherboards in-stock for 20+ years sold-out within 5 days of me announcing the build. If I had kept it quiet, I could have easily gotten a second board.

Typical of Best Electronics

Eh? Best didn't do anything. Vandal started talking about building a 1450 from a bare board and mentioned Best still had a few boards. That sparked interest and other users here bought the remaining boards from Best. How is this "typical" of Best?

Well, I guess it is possible that other people purchased the board and he ran out ,as it is possible that the boards may be go temporarily out of stock to bring the price up in due time. Since I have no proof, either way, I don't know.

However, I have notice the guy who runs Best, at least with me (for those I have emails) to have some prevarication.

But it was an opinion, not a fact.

Best do limit stock availability and quantities that can be purchased by each customer from time to time. They do this to ensure everyone gets a fair shake at buying stock plus ensure they have stock for the future. Whilst they have a huge inventory it is ultimately a finite amount of stuff and once it is all gone, it is all gone. I've not purchased anything from Best in a few years, simply because they've always been extremely helpful and pointed out other ways to try and get a fix for a problem, cheaper alternatives etc.

I just wanted to opine about Best. Please note, that I didn't mean to start a discussion because I find it to be sterile.

I do want to comment about your assertion :

Best do limit stock availability and quantities that can be purchased by each customer from time to time.

and postulation:

They do this to ensure everyone gets a fair shake at buying stock plus ensure they have stock for the future.

While your statement probably comes from personal experience, your credence is litigious.

The reason that someone limit stock availability is not necessaraly to help everyone to purchase an item. It is done primarily to keep prices up. Even if is the person's intention are not to bring prices up, the effect of supply and demand will bring those prices up.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to purchase or sell to anyone. As well as giving any type of opinions.

Edited by Blues76

I just wanted to opine about Best. Please note, that I didn't mean to start a discussion because I find it to be sterile.

Opine away. You've already stated your opinion on Best repeatedly in the past, so just as you may find discussion (of Best) sterile then you would be right to assume that we might probably find your repeated comments on the subject sterile too.

My positive impression of Best is certainly no less valid than your negative opinion and vice versa. Stating an opinion is always likely to attract a differing opinion from someone else. We all have different experiences and viewpoints. The best way to avoid a difference in opinion is not to state your own in the first place. :-D

When I said the discussion to be sterile, it was a general statement not pointed to anyone. When you say that I have repeated comments about Best, it is directed at me. I don't mind, but I do keep my comments, general.

Of course, your opinion is as valid as anyone else. I think I have only started one topic about vendors, where I gave different ratings about vendors. I have added an opinion to another existing one plus this one. However, it may be seen as too many times to some and not enough to others. To me, it is not enough to stress the point, that BEST is not a vendor that I will buy from as my self-respect, it is more important than an Atari item. I will always stress, that BEST is not doing a service to the community, but using the community for a personal gain (WHICH IS OK) .

I don't mind a different of opinion.I don't mind if people want to argue. I just want it to make it clear, that I didn't give my opinion to start an argument. That is not to say, that I'm bother by different of opinions or arguments.

I would like to re-quote you just in case you didn't see it, since you didn't reply to it. What Best does with playing with the stock, rise up prices.

Best do limit stock availability and quantities that can be purchased by each customer from time to time. They do this to ensure everyone gets a fair shake at buying stock plus ensure they have stock for the future.

you may want to reply or maybe ignore this post. I will not reply to this thread again. I don't want this to get personal or an argument outside of the original scope. (NOTE THAT I QUOTED FROM THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE)

When I said the discussion to be sterile, it was a general statement not pointed to anyone. When you say that I have repeated comments about Best, it is directed at me. I don't mind, but I do keep my comments, general.

Of course, your opinion is as valid as anyone else. I think I have only started one topic about vendors, where I gave different ratings about vendors. I have added an opinion to another existing one plus this one. However, it may be seen as too many times to some and not enough to others. To me, it is not enough to stress the point, that BEST is not a vendor that I will buy from as my self-respect, it is more important than an Atari item. I will always stress, that BEST is not doing a service to the community, but using the community for a personal gain (WHICH IS OK) .

I don't mind a different of opinion.I don't mind if people want to argue. I just want it to make it clear, that I didn't give my opinion to start an argument. That is not to say, that I'm bother by different of opinions or arguments.

I would like to re-quote you just in case you didn't see it, since you didn't reply to it. What Best does with playing with the stock, rise up prices.

Best do limit stock availability and quantities that can be purchased by each customer from time to time. They do this to ensure everyone gets a fair shake at buying stock plus ensure they have stock for the future.

you may want to reply or maybe ignore this post. I will not reply to this thread again. I don't want this to get personal or an argument outside of the original scope. (NOTE THAT I QUOTED FROM THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE)

I certainly don't want and see no need to turn this into anything personal, or a full blown argument (whatever the threat level is for an argument to become full blown), so let's move on and enjoy our evening. I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff we will agree on!

1400/1450 never made production so it's a miracle the boards still existed somewhere up to this point.

Complaining that something that essentially sat on the shelf for 25 years, albeit in low numbers, has finally sold out is pretty poor form. For anyone into the 8-bitters, these machines are well known and did receive decent print media attention at the time.

It was also a fairly well known fact, here at least, that Best had the boards in stock.

It seems to me that one person manages to get the thing to working condition and publicises the fact and all of a sudden a bandwagon starts. If anyone else had genuine want for one they could have done so years ago.