IGNORED

Looking for MP3 of Atari Booting Sound? Anyone have?

FatMagic

Hello!

AtariAge newbie here.

I was curious if anyone had a good quality recording (no background noise) of the Atari Booting/Beep sound? Many people found it annoying, but I find it nostalgic from my childhood days loading game after game on my Atari 800. An example of the sound I'm talking about can be found in this video -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOLWRVbZRI

-- jump to around 17 seconds and you'll hear the sound. I love that boot sound! All the blips, sometimes the long farting type noises LOL - awesome.

Anyone have this, or can they get it in a nice format? I don't care how long the sound is. It can be 1 minute of booting. I love it!

Just curious, thanks :)

-FM

Edited by FatMagic

@FatMagic

I think the MP3's you got from Hiassoft are COOL, but not giving you what you where looking for.

The MP3's HiasSoft provided are obviously Sio sounds not created by booting from a standard 1050 or 810 drive! You do not hear the gaps between the drive seek (from block to block).

standard sio boot sounds like

bleepbleepbleepbleepbleep <gap> bleepbleepbleepbleepbleep <gap> etc.

Listen carefully and you'll notice what I mean.

The sound from Hiassoft 'standard' boot sounds more like the sound you got from a 1050 with no disk installed and the drive door in "open" position (and a zillion BOOT ERROR messages from top to bottom of screen)

Sio2SD, Sio2USB, Sio2PC and all that interfaces do sound like that. But a real diskdrive (even the ones with happy or similar upgrade) sounds different.

Since you are looking for nostalgic reasons (right?) I guess you have to wait for a real sio sound!

@Hiassoft:

Thanks anyway, I especially love the very very very high speed on Sio. That is almost as fast as my parrallel I/O of the BlackBox! It's incredible!

Btw. I can remember a movie I saw ones... If I'm right it was a scene in a space ship or other kind of vehicle

The driver(s) where in trouble... and while they where in panic a bit, the watcher of the show heard 1050 Bleeps all the time!

I'm pretty sure it were 1050 bleeps :D

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Who knows what show this was?

@Stargunner

You are correct after I listened to it. It isn't the sound I was looking for, but close. I'm still saving the one @Hiassoft made for me. I've put it on my phone :P

If anyone else can get the exact sound I'm looking (see Video in first post) that would be AWESOME :) Thats the sound I remember from my childhood rocking out to the Atari 800 :)

Edited by FatMagic

The MP3's HiasSoft provided are obviously Sio sounds not created by booting from a standard 1050 or 810 drive! You do not hear the gaps between the drive seek (from block to block).

Well spotted!

So here we go again. DOS 2.5 (a single density disk, BTW, enhanced and double density sound different, again), booting on various drives:

stock 1050

happy 1050 in standard speed

happy 1050 in highspeed

speedy 1050 in standard speed

speedy 1050 in highspeed

1050 turbo in standard speed (the disk was formatted with the 1050 turbo, it has a slightly different sector skew - can you hear the difference to the stock 1050?)

1050 turbo in highspeed (again formatted with the 1050 turbo, yet another sector skew - 1050 turbo doesn't have a trackbuffer).

And since I was bored, another recording of the 1050 speedy reading the disk with the HSS copier (can you hear the HSS copier skipping the empty sectors/tracks?)

These were the drives I had standing on my desk (didn't want to dig out my XF551).

BTW: You're still missing one important thing, the drive seek sounds. My 1050 Turbo and Speedy are very quiet, but when I powered on the Happy I thought the whole house was shaking :-)

so long,

Hias

boot-1050.mp3

boot-happy-std.mp3

boot-happy-high.mp3

boot-speedy-std.mp3

boot-speedy-high.mp3

boot-turbo-std.mp3

boot-turbo-high.mp3

hsscopy-speedy.mp3

• Like 7

If anyone else can get the exact sound I'm looking (see Video in first post) that would be AWESOME :) Thats the sound I remember from my childhood rocking out to the Atari 800 :)

OK, DOS 2.0S on a single density disk in a stock 1050, booted with Option (so DUP.SYS is loaded, too). Should be the one from the video :-)

so long,

Hias

dos20s-1050.mp3

• Like 1

Btw. I can remember a movie I saw ones... If I'm right it was a scene in a space ship or other kind of vehicle

The driver(s) where in trouble... and while they where in panic a bit, the watcher of the show heard 1050 Bleeps all the time!

I'm pretty sure it were 1050 bleeps :D

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Who knows what show this was?

One of the Airplane movies (pretty sure it was the 1st one) had several Atari scenes in it. Basketball (2600 version I think), and SIO loading beeps were heard on in the cockpit.

I have to admit this turns out to be a very funny thread indeed.

I am very pleased with all those sounds. Speedy 1050 is the fastest... I only have 1050, happy 1050, XF551 and HyperXF modded XF551.

ah... and somewhere an US DOUBLER! But where :S... I have no idea.

Thanks for the sounds.

I merged all the last together to make a two minute mp3, and added 2 second silence between them.

The file was to large after I added ID3 with picture of an 810 drive and couldn't upload.

So here is the file without the picture file.Atari Boots(Nov2011).mp3

And here is the picture I selected as appropriate.post-10165-0-16414500-1320879202_thumb.jpg

Kind of fun to listen to.

• Like 1

I have to admit this turns out to be a very funny thread indeed.

Absolutely! :-)

I finally found my XF551 (can anyone tell me why the hell I put it back into it's original box instead of storing it on the shelf, together with my other 1050s?). It's equipped with Stefan Dorndorf's excellent HyperXF OS, and I modified it so it's switchable back to stock - so it's time for 4 more classic tunes!

Before doing each recording I formatted the disk in the corresponding (standard/highspeed) mode as the XF551 doesn't have a track buffer and relies on optimized sector skews (like the 1050 Turbo). So here we go, booting DOS 2.5 on:

XF551 standard speed

XF551 "highspeed" (38400 bit/sec)

XF551 with HyperXF OS, standard speed (boring, this sounds identical to XF551 standard speed...)

XF551 with HyperXF OS, highspeed (same SIO speed as Speedy, Pokey divisor 9, but no trackbuffer - do you hear the longer gaps between the sectors and the shorter gaps between the tracks, compared to the Speedy?)

Well, that's it, I don't have any more Atari drives here (only newish SIO2SD and SDrive and of course AtariSIO). But maybe kr0tki can extend this fine collection with some nice tape-loading MP3s :-)

@FatMagic: Welcome to the board and have fun! As you can see we are absolutely sane and completely normal people - no strange nerds or geeks here :-)))

so long,

Hias

boot-xf551-std.mp3

boot-xf551-high.mp3

boot-hyperxf551-std.mp3

boot-hyperxf551-high.mp3

• Like 1

Hahaha you guys are the best, this is an awesome thread!!! Thanks for more excellent boot sounds.

I love the compiled boot MP3!! Yess! So cool!

I saw you mentioned tape-loading drives... I was talking to my Uncle about all this, and he said it would be neat to hear a 1040 tape drive loading. So maybe kr0tki (as you mentioned) has one of those and we could get the sound for that too!!

He also mentioned he liked the "1040/Percom disk boot" - is that the same as the 1050 sound, or different? (my knowledge of Atari's & disk drives doesn't extend this far)

Interesting... the 1050 is noticeably lower pitched than the XF551. Looking at the waveforms in the spectrogram it looks like the 1050 is transmitting bytes significantly slower, about ~1860 bytes/sec vs. the XF551's ~1930 bytes/sec. Ideal speed should be 1920 bytes/sec (8 data bits + start and stop bits at 19200 baud). The spectrum is too smeared at the high end for me to tell if there's a difference in baud rate. Anyone got a recording of an 810? :)

• Like 1

No, because there can be a delay between the stop and start bits. The bit rate within a byte has to be around +/-5% but you can transmit or receive bytes arbitrarily slower than that.

There are two tones that appear in the output when the computer is receiving serial data, a very high one corresponding to each bit (19.2KHz) and a low one for the byte boundaries (~960Hz). The high pitch tone is from the AUDF4 clock and is not audible but does shows up in audio recordings. The low pitched tone occurs because the audio output toggles an odd number of times per byte (19) and is nominally around 960Hz. A delay that prevents the drive from sending bytes back to back will result in only the lower tone dropping in pitch. The firmware disassembly I have from the 810 shows 26 cycles/bit (19230 baud) and 265 clocks/byte (1887 bytes/sec) at 500KHz.

Interesting... the 1050 is noticeably lower pitched than the XF551. Looking at the waveforms in the spectrogram it looks like the 1050 is transmitting bytes significantly slower, about ~1860 bytes/sec vs. the XF551's ~1930 bytes/sec. Ideal speed should be 1920 bytes/sec (8 data bits + start and stop bits at 19200 baud). The spectrum is too smeared at the high end for me to tell if there's a difference in baud rate.

It's really interesting how much you can tell about a device by just listening to the SIO sounds. Some time ago, when testing AtariSIO with a NetMos 9835 based serial card I immediately noticed that something was off, the SIO sound was different to what I was used to, it sounded and felt slower. A more detailled analysis showed that the card was generating 1.5 stop bits instead of one - so it was clear why the transfer rate was some 5% lower (well, this wasn't the only thing that was broken in the NetMos based cards...).

But now, coming back to Atari drives: it's a little bit difficult to analyze everything just from the audio recordings so I hooked up my logic analyzer and captured some data. The screenshots show the "complete" byte ($43) and the first two bytes of sector 1 ($00 and $03):

post-9299-0-73882900-1320937078_thumb.png

The time from the beginning of the first data byte to the beginning of the second data byte - the byte rate - is 550µs, 522µs and 532µs for the stock 1050, XF551 and 1050 speedy, respectively. This corresponds to a byte rate of approximately 1820, 1920 and 1880 bytes/sec. Another thing that's interesting in the XF551 capture is the quite long delay between the complete byte and the first data byte, approx. 1.2ms (the SIOspecs don't mention any values for this delay, or delay between data bytes, BTW).

Now let's have a look at the bit rate: Since the first data byte is zero, we have a total of 9 zero bits (start bit + 8 data bits), followed by the stop bit. In the next screenshot I marked the beginning of the start bit and the beginning of the stop bit to measure the time for 9 bits:

post-9299-0-82193400-1320937089_thumb.png

The time is 458µs, 470µs and 465µs, corresponding to bit rates of 19650, 19150 and 19350 bit/sec. So the stock 1050 is transmitting bits even faster than the XF551! But it's also quite easy to see that the stock 1050 has a much longer stop bit / delay between bytes than the XF551. Actually, the XF551 generates a perfect bit stream, where all 10 bits are ~52.2µs long and the bytes are transmitted back-to-back without any gaps in between.

so long,

Hias

Well, that's it, I don't have any more Atari drives here (only newish SIO2SD and SDrive and of course AtariSIO). But maybe kr0tki can extend this fine collection with some nice tape-loading MP3s :-)

One interesting one is missing, which you may could provide: Does your speedy has build in BIBO DOS or the HSS-Copy program? The long whistling SIO sound when booting with open drive latch is quite cool...

One interesting one is missing, which you may could provide: Does your speedy has build in BIBO DOS or the HSS-Copy program? The long whistling SIO sound when booting with open drive latch is quite cool...

Here we go!

I have a super-speedy prototype by mega-hz sitting here on my desk with a switchable OS: booting BiboDos, Super Copy II or the Floppy 2000 utilities from the floppy ROM. Not sure how many people living outside of Europe have heard this before :-)

so long,

Hias

boot-speedy-bibodos.mp3

boot-speedy-floppy2000.mp3

boot-speedy-supercopy.mp3

• Like 1

The time from the beginning of the first data byte to the beginning of the second data byte - the byte rate - is 550µs, 522µs and 532µs for the stock 1050, XF551 and 1050 speedy, respectively. This corresponds to a byte rate of approximately 1820, 1920 and 1880 bytes/sec.

The time is 458µs, 470µs and 465µs, corresponding to bit rates of 19650, 19150 and 19350 bit/sec. So the stock 1050 is transmitting bits even faster than the XF551! But it's also quite easy to see that the stock 1050 has a much longer stop bit / delay between bytes than the XF551. Actually, the XF551 generates a perfect bit stream, where all 10 bits are ~52.2µs long and the bytes are transmitted back-to-back without any gaps in between. so long, Hias

I disassembled the 1050 rev. B ROM and found the transmit routine. It takes 51 cycles per data bit and 549 cycles/byte at 1MHz, which comes out to 19608 baud and 1821.5 bytes/second. I don't understand why the routines were written with the timing off, since it has a lot of time wasted in delay loops and could have been fixed. The 1050's CPU is twice as fast as the 810's (1MHz vs. 500KHz) and the only thing extra the routine does is compute checksum, and yet the 810's transmit routine is actually closer timing-wise (19230 baud and 1886.8 bytes/sec).

• Like 1