IGNORED

I got my Atari to control my Nintendo R.O.B. Robot!

Pioneer4x4

I'm not sure where to post this, and I was going to wait until completed, but I am too excited to hold back.

First, thanks to Fred Quimby for Batari Basic and Jeff Wierer for VisualbB!

I got a program running that can control the R.O.B. via a 2600. It is a Batari Basic programming currently running on my Harmony cart. I dob't know if I will try to make a game, I honestly can't think of any worthwhile gameplay for it, but a fully controllable R.O.B. is cool.

It has these main functions.

Open

Close

1 x Up

1 x Down

2 x up

2 x Down

Left

Right

Reset (No matter where it is, it will go all the way up while turning right, then go back to the middle on the top)

I currently have it controlled via 2 sticks since there are 9 movements

Left stick

Up - 1 x Up

Down - 2 x Down

Left - Left

Right - Right

Right Stick

Up - 2 x UP

Down - 2 x Down

Left - Open

Right - Close

Fire - Reset

I will also make it controllable via a 12 button Keypad. I still have some experimenting on how attractive the screen can be before and during controlling it.

Is there enough 2600 people with R.O.B.s that would be interested in a production run of some of these?

Edited by Pioneer4x4
  • Like 6

That's marvelous.

One thing, one could try, is to use the robots motion in combination with other objects. Say, have the robot hold a light or laser that might highlight a map location or an action printed out on a card. That way it could interact with a board game or trivia game, etc.

• Like 1

That's marvelous.

One thing, one could try, is to use the robots motion in combination with other objects. Say, have the robot hold a light or laser that might highlight a map location or an action printed out on a card. That way it could interact with a board game or trivia game, etc.

Thanks!

That is a cool idea, there has to be some neat idea of a use for it. I may try to make a video of it once it get polished up with something on the screen. Right now it is just blank gray screen waiting for an input, then it flashed out the control sequence.

This thread is screaming for a video.

I know, this is a case of "Video or it didn't happen" I will work on it.

I didn't mean I didn't believe you, I just meant this is something I'd be interested in seeing.

I'd ask if there's any chance we could just get a rom for Harmony use, but I don't own a R.O.B. anyway.

I didn't mean I didn't believe you, I just meant this is something I'd be interested in seeing.

I'd ask if there's any chance we could just get a rom for Harmony use, but I don't own a R.O.B. anyway.

I know, I understand. I may release a rom, once I do more to it. It is something that I have been wanting to try, and had several ideas, and finally got it working today.

Without a R.O.B. it wouldn't be much use except for testing for epilepsy.

Hmm, I wonder if it works on my LCD PC monitor via stella. Testing now!

Yes, the robot detects a sequence of flashes for each command. It does not connect to anything, runs on 4 AA batteries. As for a usable game, the best I could maybe come up with would be something similar to "Stack 'Em".

In the video, you can see which command is being sent by the image I put on the playfield. That is just for you to confirm what is being sent, and has nothing to do with it's operation. I was pleased that it didn't interfere with it either.

In the video I sent it

Down 1 step

Down 1 step

Up 2 steps

Close

Open

Left

Left

Right

Reset

And yes, my 2600 and TV are on a UPS!

That is my "spare" R.O.B. that I lucked upon at a Goodwill. I will have to dig out my Nintendo stuff to get his "hands" and other parts.

post-25375-0-98000300-1321240531_thumb.jpg

post-25375-0-53177200-1321240560_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Not to mensch, but what's the point? I do think its cool that you got your Atari to control ROB, but ROB was never a very useful item to begin with.

No it wasn't, but it is now, I would like to think, a bit more useful. And the main point was mainly to see if I could do it, and if others are interested, all the better.