IGNORED

A guy on DP thinks VCS games are all homebrews

high voltage

If a game is made with the intention of selling it to make a profit then I don't consider it "homebrew".

I know homebrew games are sold but usually only to cover the costs of making the carts and support your hobby. When they made Extra Terrestrials they expected to make money out of the game.

I'm glad high voltage posted this because I don't have time to read every forum and it is good to read about other opinons outside of Atari Age (even if I don't agree with them). ;)

Listen here I can stand for a lot of things but region phrase intolerance is not one of them... you may call garbage rubbish but I call it trash... you need to take some tolerance classes buddy...

Excuse me now whilst I go fetch some vintage gaming rubbish from the loft so I can bin it. Oh, there's some things in the cupboard that need binning also. May have to rent a lorry and go straight to the dump come to think of it.

Im unfamiliar with a "lorry" now I guess im the one that's regional phrase ignorant... D:

Not bad but we Brits take garbage to the 'tip'

The tip of what??? :D... sorry but after years of rejecting them I've started to enjoy using emodicons, so now I use them whenever I can...

Rubbish tip, or skip but never 'dump'. A dump you do in in the toilet ;-) This thread could be the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by high voltage

If a game is made with the intention of selling it to make a profit then I don't consider it "homebrew".

Very ambiguous.

I did not develop Boulder Dash® with the intention of selling it to make a profit.

Is it a homebrew? In my opinion, most definitely yes. Although it's a fully commercial product now.

I think homebrew describes the authors, and method of development, not the method of sale and distribution.

Cheers

A

Very ambiguous.

I did not develop Boulder Dash® with the intention of selling it to make a profit.

Is it a homebrew? In my opinion, most definitely yes. Although it's a fully commercial product now.

I think homebrew describes the authors, and method of development, not the method of sale and distribution.

Cheers

A

Boulder Dash for the Atari 2600 is a very unique situation, a commercial game that became a homebrew conversion which has now become a commercial product. I cant wait to get a cart!

My definition of "homebrew" might not be correct for all 2600 games made today, but I do think it applies when discussing the original opinions expressed on the DP forum. I dont think any of the original 2600 games can be defined as "homebrew" when the intention was to make a profit which makes them a commercial product.

What confuses me is why do people consider a homebrew somehow less than or inferior to a commercial release?

Most homebrews I've played are superior to many commercial releases.

IMHO;

Commercial = Someone is paid by a (video game) company to design/develop/program a game. Boards, artwork, packaging, all are typically designed by different people/departments. It is manufactured in mass quantity with the ability to keep making them as demand requires. It is also advertised by the company that developed it, and distributed to retail stores that have nothing to do with the production of it.

Homebrew = Someone, on their own time, at their own expense, creates the entire product from scratch. Their intention is to sell them all at once in a small batch, or a few at a time, with each small batch being made individually as they are ordered. Hopefully they will make enough money so they cover their own costs, if not their time. If they make money as a profit, all the better. Paid advertising or distribution does not happen.

In the 2600 area, Homebrews are all after the original company pulled support of the original hardware, so the end users created new products on their own.

being able to buy Homebrews from AtariAge slightly confuses the commercial part of the issue.

• Like 1

AssSmoothie HD doesn't work with Droid, so my tablet is out. I want to smooth my entire ass at one time, rather than rubbing, so although I do have the iPhone, the screen is too small. I do like the features of ButtScratcha 2.0, but the interface is absolutely horrible and locks up occasionally. Trust me, you don't want it to lock up mid-ass-scratch. :woozy: