IGNORED

War games movie. Make and model of computer?

Blues76

So, it was a PC, sort of IBM compatible? I guess so from the specs I just read.

It was introduced several years before the PC. I've never seen one personally, but it used S-100 expansion cards, and with a set of 8" disk drives (as shown in the movie), it probably ran some version of CP/M. According to oldcomputers.com, it sold in 1977 for $599 as a kit or for $931 as an assembled system.

It would had been nice for the Atari to be the computer of choice for the movie... of course, maybe it look like a toy system and they wanted to make it more realistic. Even an Apple would had been nice too... Anyways, I love the movie... and if one day I have money and I'm able to get me a replica.... it would be a nice addition !

WarGames is one of my favorite movies. I've got an old review I wrote around here somewhere...

The commentary on the DVD states that the reason for choosing the Imsai (and all of the gear in David's room) was because at the time, it was already outdated equipment, and would have been well-within a high schooler's reach. From the standpoint of set design, few machines looked as cool as the Imsai, with all of its colored switches and lights. An all-in-one like an Atari would have been quite bland on screen. No big switches for the actors to flip.

I keep hoping they'll release the movie on Blu-ray. There's a nice HD transfer that already exists, since it runs on cable from time to time. I really detest the idea of them doing a remake (which they already sort-of did). I can't see it working outside of the Cold War era, plus there's absolutely no reason to remake it. Other than Hollywood being completely out of fresh ideas.

I remember hearing John Badham mention (during the DVD commentary) that they deliberately chose outdated equipment that people would have been throwing away in 1983, or giving away to high school kids like David Lightman. (heh, Nathan beat me to it!)

I love the movie, too. I've got an original WarGames poster hanging on my wall right now, in fact. I wasn't aware that a remake was in the works, but it sickens me. Why??? The original was done so well.

I love the movie too... and the girl Ally... love her too!! haha ... Like I said, I was 6 when I sow this movie. I sow probably in 1983 or 1984... maybe I was 7. and the fact that he could communicate with other computers, and change his grade, was enough to get me into computers... I have the 25th anniversary DVD, which is great. But I would love to have the movie in blu-ray , of course, re-mastering some of the scenes... (no remake of course..)

About the remake, there was a sequel a few years ago, but sucks!

If you read in wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames

you will see that there is a possible remake that is going to happen and maybe with dicaprio...

Who knows, maybe the remake will be great...

You know, on The Simpsons when they went to E4, one of the exhibitors was Protovision. One of the hundred or so video game-related gags on that episode. Nobody referenced it on the modern gaming websites, probably not getting the reference. Some smart writing there, Lou!

I've got the Wargames soundtrack via bootleg. It's impossible to find, just like the Buckaroo Banzai soundtrack. Got that one too! It helps to have a friend who's active in the soundtrack-collecting scene.

Guess that makes sense about the choice of IMSAI computer. It looked cool, but was nothing what anyone was running in the early 1980s. Heck, I was using a TI-99/4A to do BBSing in 1989.

I wonder what computers were people using around 1983? I didn't have one then, I was 7. Only the Atari 2600. I didn't get my computer until I was 11. Of course, I was born in Chile, so our reality was different. Here in the US, what was the reality of 1983. I'm not so sure that I buy the director's reason to choose that one, for that specific reason.

What computer were you using in 1982/1983? (this could be a good thread)

I got my first Commodore 64 around 82-83. Other were using the Tandy line of computers, Apple 2, and the first generation of Atari 8 bit computers were big at the time as well. I stuck with Commodore until 89 or so and in the early 90's got my first 386-486...I can't remember. But, there you go.

I asked in another thread the question of which computer were they using 1983... to have an idea... While it is not a scientific poll and by no means is correct, it seems that people had other 8-bit computers (atari,commodore, apple) at the time. So I'm not sure if the reason that director gave is the best one. Now, I do have to say, that the computer makes it more realistic than a kid using an atari to break into the national defense. at least for most people... having said that if the kid was able to do that with the computer (i mean in the movie) , it could also had happened with another 8-bit machine!