IGNORED

LCD TV FOR ATARI 8 BIT

Blues76

I don't see the point of that cable, unless there's something out there that uses the VGA socket in a non-standard way and includes the audio and Y/C signals.

Not really any use for the Atari, unless you wanted to rig up a socket to carry the relevant signals. But there's much easier ways to do it.

One being, just get a little project box and make a breakout box, take the signal from Atari monitor plug and then just have S-Video, audio RCA and composite RCA coming from the box.

I've heard some of these upscaling devices do a poor job of scaling a composite input to VGA, but this one is under $40 and takes a RCA composite or s-video input and outputs to VGA. You'd still need speakers, and a 4:3 LCD monitor, but at least those monitors are still available and relatively inexpensive: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Converter-Adapter-Switch-AV2VGA/dp/B001HQQOD8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I mainly use LG M228VA (wide 16:10) for retro computers - it has all the inputs. But the big problem is unable to completely disable the XD engine (smoothing). If I have more time then I connect it to my main TV - LG 42LH3010 and there the picture is just perfect (you can configure the display in every way).

If I find LG M1921A or M1917A somewhere on flea market, then I will replace the M228VA. I only wish there was a way to disable the annoying XD engine!!

Any cable or so-called adaptor under $10 or so will practically always be a "passive" device, ie it might have a couple of resistors or capacitors inside but virtually never any intelligent electronics.

What device uses that cable, I've got no idea. Nothing ever from Atari for sure.

It's probably for some obscure device like maybe a projector or bit of medical equipment.

• 1 year later...

Just figured out what I was doing wrong when trying to get a 15KHz source to display on the LG M1721a/M1921a:

http://eabmobile.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30524

Apparently the monitor has to be switched into "RGB-DTV" mode... must try this tomorrow. If this works, the set may display all three ST modes via VGA, as well as VBXE and numerous Amiga modes. It already does ST low/med res, VBXE and Amiga via SCART, but the more I read about these monitors, the more versatile they seem to be...

I was finally able to make up a DIN13 to DB15 cable for the M1921A-BZ, which does indeed have the "RGB-DTV" input option apparently absent from certain models. Although some versions lack SCART, this one has it - nevertheless those without SCART but with the RGB-DTV input source should still be able to sync down to 15KHz. Coupled with composite, s-video and VGA input, this is therefore a pretty versatile display device.

VBXE works. Composite sync hooked up to horizontal sync at the monitor end results in a sharp picture, though not really better or worse than 15KHz in via SCART, and some vertical banding is apparent:

VBXE graphics close-up

Lamers demo

Close-up of text quality

SpartaDOS X prompt

Ultimate 1MB setup screen

The experimental RGB cable:

Atari end of makeshift video cable

Monitor end of DIN13 to DB15 cable

Next experiment was with the Atari ST is low-res, but the monitor reported "no signal" - even with vertical and horizontal sync connected to the correct pins. I'm wondering if the ST's signal is a little strong, since it's usually necessary to place resistors in-line on the red, green and blue pins.

ST hi-res sort of works with the usual VGA mono cable, although it's identical to the picture displayed when the RGB-PC (VGA) input source is selected; the monitor is unable to auto-adjust to the ST's phase/clock, and even manual adjustment is unable to remove strong vertical banding and image distortion. Indeed, the phase/clock adjustments disappear when RGB-DTV is the selected input source.

However, this clearly shows - despite problems with the ST - that the RGB port on this monitor is capable of syncing to 15-71KHz when the monitor is in RGB-DTV mode. If the ST hi-res niggles could be worked out, it would be difficult to imagine a more useful 4:3 LCD monitor.

Here's another interesting article about this montior, this time in Portugese:

http://www.victortrucco.com/diversos/monitorm1921a/monitorm1921a.asp

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 8 months later...

ooh nice.

I'll try and search for this one :)

The current small TV I use has issues with almost everything connected on composite and SCART. It basically sometimes act like if there was interlacing, you know the one line out of two effect ? (If I'm not clear, sorry, I have a headache and it always impairs my ability to speak in English)

ps : ahh cr*p. On eBay those who sell it do not ship in France... I get the feeling it will be like the German Funai A1506, the perfect LCD for A8, but hard to find...

i have s-video:

kabel2.jpg

can i use this reduction to connect atari to superb 24 LCD?icon_smile.gif

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/vga-to-s-video-and-3rca-f-cable-9813

Guaranteed to not work.

Maybe try a DVDO iScan... professional results. Need S-Video input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-iScan-Progressive-Scan-Display-Interface-MM101a-Pure-Progressive-/151174816931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2332b8a4a3

Guaranteed to not work.

Maybe try a DVDO iScan... professional results. Need S-Video input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-iScan-Progressive-Scan-Display-Interface-MM101a-Pure-Progressive-/151174816931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2332b8a4a3

I agree, I use one of these and have both my atari and commodore 64 connected to it, it autosenses which input is active. and it looks great!

• 5 weeks later...