IGNORED

Another Comparision

emkay

So?

It's not like there was an unwritten law that Atari had to have the fastest or smoothest running version of every game.

Chances are the game was developed on Z80 in the first place, and as is well known, Atari received some fairly poor ports in many cases the game appeared elsewhere first.

And I don't know what the exact metric would be for Z80 vs 6502 - 2 * clocking to acheive same performance for a Z-80 is common belief but a common set of benchmarks would give a better figure.

Finally - the game would look like arse if done in Gr. 7.

I'm working on a new software mode called "Quark Pixels".

You'll get a resolution of about 4 times normal.

Sadly it only works on CRT TVs.

How it works is that it plays a high frequency sound that makes the shadow mask vibrate and knock the electron beam around so pixels appear out of their normal places.

By synchronising this effect in the right way, I predict we should have 1024 x 480 in 9 colours.

• Like 2

Speccy CPU 3.5MHz , Atari version ~1.5MHz (DMA GR.8 32 bytes)

Btw: Making the game in Gr. 7 would leave ~1.6MHz ;)

Any chance for some optimisations there?

Honestly? An extra 100 kHz of speed in trade for 1/4 of the resolution? Do you sit a kilometer away from your TV so the lego sized pixels in Gr.7 don't bother you?

Speccy CPU 3.5MHz , Atari version ~1.5MHz (DMA GR.8 32 bytes)

Btw: Making the game in Gr. 7 would leave ~1.6MHz ;)

Any chance for some optimisations there?

Honestly? An extra 100 kHz of speed in trade for 1/4 of the resolution? Do you sit a kilometer away from your TV so the lego sized pixels in Gr.7 don't bother you?

well well... You got a new word? Those "Lego sized" pixels seem very impressive to people, when playing Yoomp! or Space Harrier on a huge screen.

well well... You got a new word? Those "Lego sized" pixels seem very impressive to people, when playing Yoomp! or Space Harrier on a huge screen.

Yeah, I learn new words all the time, like dumbkopf and hartnäckig :grin: Maybe it was a bit harsh, but let's be reasonable about this. Yoomp does not need 320*200 resolution, Amaroute does. You always tell people don't push the machine to do something it can't do (i.e., copy a C64 game rather than doing an ISO game from scratch). You want the A8 to look and sound impressive. What would be impressive about a game which is hi-res on other systems having its resolution cut in quarter? You want speed, drop down to Gr.3 for everything, and you could have time for two digi-tracks.

Yeah, I learn new words all the time, like dumbkopf and hartnäckig Maybe it was a bit harsh, but let's be reasonable about this. Yoomp does not need 320*200 resolution, Amaroute does. You always tell people don't push the machine to do something it can't do (i.e., copy a C64 game rather than doing an ISO game from scratch). You want the A8 to look and sound impressive. What would be impressive about a game which is hi-res on other systems having its resolution cut in quarter? You want speed, drop down to Gr.3 for everything, and you could have time for two digi-tracks.

Amaurote could have been done in an A8 optimized way.....

Look at this. This is how Amaurote really shouldn't look like ;)

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D103