IGNORED

Pac Man Collection Pokey with small dots..is it possible?(attn: PacManPlus)

Defender_2600

Hi:

Pac Man Collection Pokey with small dots...is it possible? :roll:

Pac-Man Collection is already an amazing job

and I know that Mr. De Crescenzo has devoted much time to this project ...

so forgive me if I ask another update ... but I love Pac Man Collection! :lust:

Many thanks again

Marco

mspac_01.bmp

Like this?

paccol_pokey_v9(small dots).bin

-Jeff

.. exactly, Jeff thank you very much for your generosity! :)

I repeat, Pac-Man Collection is an amazing job

but it is my opinion that this latest update is important ...

with small dots Pac-Man Collection Pokey is definitely an Arcade Perfect Port!

The upcoming release of the cartridge is an important opportunity to include this update.

I would be happy about that.

Marco

Hi Jeff, :)

I looked carefully at some screenshots of Pac-Man arcade game.

Now, the dots of your paccol_pokey seem smaller than the arcade version (forgive me if they are picky, I just want to help).

I see also the color of the dots is different in Pac-Man arcade.

I tried to update these characteristics.

Thanks for the support.

Marco

PACCOLL (arcade dots).BIN

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me if I missed something, but it looks like PACCOLL (arcade dots).BIN needs re-signed and also it looks like the standard version rather than the pokey version.

I liked your edits to the dots (they really look more like the arcade) so I decided to incorporate those into the pokey v9 ROM. While I was at it, I also changed the color of the mouths & eyes of the ghosts when being chased so that they're pink like the arcade and red when flashing. Also, I made Pac-Man a little more rounded. I didn't change Ms. Pac-Man. She could stand to be a little more rounded but I'm too tired.

There's gotta be an easier way to do this, cause hex editing takes me forever! :-o

Here are some screenshots:

post-9364-0-93014600-1326009890_thumb.png post-9364-0-32912100-1326009900_thumb.png post-9364-0-34835200-1326009909_thumb.png

And the ROMs:

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey).a78

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey).bin

• Like 1

This is a couple years old. I don't remember if I uploaded the version that edits the pokey version of Pacman Collection or not?

http://www.atariage....0-pacman-hacks/

It would be awesome if that edited the pokey ROM. Did you complete that version and if so, would you mind uploading it?

This is a couple years old. I don't remember if I uploaded the version that edits the pokey version of Pacman Collection or not?

http://www.atariage....0-pacman-hacks/

It would be awesome if that edited the pokey ROM. Did you complete that version and if so, would you mind uploading it?

Just added it to post #1 for that thread. That was the latest I had on my laptop and it appears to work with the Pacman Collection - Pokey.

-Jeff

I've probably asked this a bunch of times... Does it have a ZOOM button option? [the unauthorized hack that was installed on a lot of the arcade machines; possibly made by GCC (don't quote me on that)]... I've been told the Tengen versions on other consoles had it included.

And did anyone ever play "Pop-Man" back-in-the-day? I think I've seen one account of it on the net. Probably an unauthorized mod that made Pac-Man resemble Popeye. I played it in that knock-off chain called Circle 7 in some New Mexican town circa 1985...

I've probably asked this a bunch of times... Does it have a ZOOM button option?

By "ZOOM" are you talking about the ability to speed up Pac-Man with a button? If so, yes you can set that option on the menu screen. The settings for that option are [OFF, ON, Button (Button being the one you'd want here)].

I've probably asked this a bunch of times... Does it have a ZOOM button option?

By "ZOOM" are you talking about the ability to speed up Pac-Man with a button? If so, yes you can set that option on the menu screen. The settings for that option are [OFF, ON, Button (Button being the one you'd want here)].

That would be the feature. It was an unauthorized button with ZOOM written on it with [if I recall correctly] lightning bolts around the lettering. It was a big square button that you'd basically press/smash with the palm of your hand and it would basically put the game into "super pursuit mode" [if you ever used to watch Knight Rider, you'd get the reference] and it accelerate the game to a speed almost impossible to play. I think there was a sound effect too..

edit:

Okay, the button wasn't as large as I remember it to be but I was about 10 or 11 the last time I saw one. Here's a pic of one being restored online:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=4eba79ba9b8bdbc9e3cff75f5c7d09c8&action=dlattach;topic=102943.0;attach=147762;image

Edited by Lynxpro

Forgive me if I missed something, but it looks like PACCOLL (arcade dots).BIN needs re-signed and also it looks like the standard version rather than the pokey version.

I liked your edits to the dots (they really look more like the arcade) so I decided to incorporate those into the pokey v9 ROM. While I was at it, I also changed the color of the mouths & eyes of the ghosts when being chased so that they're pink like the arcade and red when flashing. Also, I made Pac-Man a little more rounded. I didn't change Ms. Pac-Man. She could stand to be a little more rounded but I'm too tired.

There's gotta be an easier way to do this, cause hex editing takes me forever! :-o

Here are some screenshots:

post-9364-0-93014600-1326009890_thumb.png post-9364-0-32912100-1326009900_thumb.png post-9364-0-34835200-1326009909_thumb.png

And the ROMs:

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey).a78

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey).bin

Hi KevinMos3,

thanks for your contribution.

I tried the game with ProSystem, I appreciate the changing colors of the ghosts chased.

Especially when the ghosts flash, I like the color red for the eyes and the mouth of the ghosts blue

(in the arcade version, the flashing blue ghosts are with the eyes and mouth always pink).

I prefer the color red for the eyes and mouth of flashing blue ghosts because it increases the feeling of panic!

You have entered the screenshot with flashing white ghost (unmodified) and have forgotten the screenshot of the blue ghost with red eyes and red mouth!

I add some screenshots for a quick comparison:

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngpacmanarcade.png

paccolpokeyv902.png

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngpacmanarcadeblueghosts.png

paccolpokeyv904.png

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngpacmanarcademameghostsb.png

paccolpokeyv905.png

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngpacmanarcadeblueghosts.png

paccolpokeyv906.png

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngmspacmanarcade.png

paccolpokeyv907.png

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngmspacmanarcadeblug.gif

paccolpokeyv908.png

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngmspacmanarcadebianchig.png

paccolpokeyv909.png

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngmspacmanarcadeblug.gif

paccolpokeyv910.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pacmancollectionarcadep.png

Post Scriptum

Still would like to sincerely thank Mr. De Crescenzo to have freely shared with the community its games in electronic form.

During this time Bob is very busy with many projects but I hope that in the near future will find time to return to his Pac-Man Collection and also consider our promptings.

I love to play on real hardware, so I would be happy if Bob would release a new cartridge updated of Pac-Man Collection.

Sincerely

Marco

You have entered the screenshot with flashing white ghost (unmodified) and have forgotten the screenshot of the blue ghost with red eyes and red mouth!

Hehe, I didn't "forget," you are just much more "thorough" than me. ;)

I wasn't quite happy with what I did to the vertical Pac-Man sprites so I made some minor changes again. Also, your comparison screenshots made me realize a couple of other changes I could make.

• The ghost chase eyes are now more square like in the arcade (of course this applies to the ghosts in all game variations)
  • Ms. Pac-Man's lips have two pixels of red instead of one

The only other thing I see too make closer to the arcade is to make the ghosts' irises a darker blue. I haven't even tried this, but I think I'm done making changes now. And again, with my non-thoroughness... I present a single screenshot that captures the two changes listed, but not the vertical sprite changes. Of course the ghosts in Pac-Man will look the same as this screenshot:

post-9364-0-31117900-1326820651_thumb.png

And the ROMs:

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey)v3.a78

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey)v3.bin

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

I plan on making my POKEY update available on cart but can't do much until I get an XM in my hands to test with. I could certainly make some of the modifications suggested above. I think the dot's look great but I don't like how they are so off center in the long vertical corridor on the left side of the maze. I'll have to see if the maze font can be reworked to fix this.

• Like 1

Hehe, I didn't "forget," you are just much more "thorough" than me. ;)

I wasn't quite happy with what I did to the vertical Pac-Man sprites so I made some minor changes again. Also, your comparison screenshots made me realize a couple of other changes I could make.

• The ghost chase eyes are now more square like in the arcade (of course this applies to the ghosts in all game variations)
  • Ms. Pac-Man's lips have two pixels of red instead of one

The only other thing I see too make closer to the arcade is to make the ghosts' irises a darker blue. I haven't even tried this, but I think I'm done making changes now. And again, with my non-thoroughness... I present a single screenshot that captures the two changes listed, but not the vertical sprite changes. Of course the ghosts in Pac-Man will look the same as this screenshot:

post-9364-0-31117900-1326820651_thumb.png

And the ROMs:

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey)v3.a78

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey)v3.bin

... thanks again for updates! :)

Marco

I plan on making my POKEY update available on cart but can't do much until I get an XM in my hands to test with. I could certainly make some of the modifications suggested above. I think the dot's look great but I don't like how they are so off center in the long vertical corridor on the left side of the maze. I'll have to see if the maze font can be reworked to fix this.

Hi tep392,

I'm glad to hear you, :)

congratulations for your updates POKEY for Pac-Man Collection and Donkey Kong!

Consider me already in the list of pre-order for cartridge Pac-Man Collection POKEY!

You hit an important issue,

because of the double border that surrounds the perimeter of the maze, all the corridors vertical external are narrow (because of this, the ghosts are superimposed on the edge of the maze).

Perhaps a compromise easier to achieve is to widen the two long vertical corridors adjacent at the two side outlets?

Fortunately, I see that the problem does not occur in the labyrinths of Ms. Pac-Man.

Sincerely

Marco

pacmancollectionarcadep.pngpacmancollectionarcadep.png

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey)v3_00.bmp

Pac-Man Collection Arcade (Pokey)v3_01.bmp

Hi Guys:

Ok, here is what I did. I talked it over with tep392, and I incorporated all of the graphic changes except for 1) the 'two-pixel' lipstick for ms. pac (it didn't look right to me), and the square eyes for the 'scared' monsters (also didn't look right to me). I know they are square in the arcade game, but when you are dealing with reduced resolution making one thing bigger while leaving the rest alone makes things look dis-proportional. (That goes for both the blue eyes and the lipstick).

I also made the 'scared' eyes light pink (like the dots are) instead of white.

The maze characters cannot be changed, as changing the ones you outlined will also change the graphics on the far right outside of the maze, causing the same effect but in a different place. The maze characters are 4 pixels wide. Three of them are being used, and shifting it over will just cause the same issue someplace else. (I had already thought of changing it a while ago)

There is also another modification that I made: In a two player game, if the right difficulty switch is slid to the right, the opposite player from the one who is playing has control of blinky only in 'chase' mode ('scared' and 'scatter' mode still do the same thing).

Here are the binaries:

Pac-Man Collection (NTSC).A78

Pac-Man Collection (NTSC).bin

Pac-Man Collection (PAL).A78

Pac-Man Collection (PAL).bin

Pac-Man Collection (Pokey).a78

Pac-Man Collection (Pokey).bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 5