IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

I kinda doubt if it was made available, there would be a big hub-bub about it from the copyright owners. Whether it's solidcorps version or if cd-w finishes his. Atari didn't make a deal about medieval mayhem or namco about the pac-man hacks being sold at the AA store. Plus some of the other homebrew games available are remakes.

There are free pc remakes of star castle floating around as well.

I don't think it would cause a stink with the IP holder. Especially if it was a free rom available.

Now, if it was a Games Workshop license, it would most likely be a different story. Those guys made the board game geek purge all fan created content even if it didn't contain any of their actual resources. Even shut down a freeware pc conversion of space hulk.

The issue is not whether the IP holder would mind, its more that you are breaching his rights without asking him and not gaining his permission. How do you know that he wont mind if you dont ask him? How do you know that he isnt programming his own A2600 version which he plans to release in the near future if you dont ask his permission? A breach of copyright is against the law, so to make the rom freely available you would have to break the law. If solidcorp is serious about selling his version for more than a niminal aount, he whould (should) get the IP owner's permission to distribute.

I think the main point is that even if someone did purchase solidcorps version it's proprietary. Dump all you want both Stella and Melody board wont be able to play it.

That could be quite impossibly fixed.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Star Castle is not a dead license after all.

I have persueded the licensor to give me permission to find a buyer for my cartridge.

After years of searching, emails, and phone calls it feels very good to have the legitamacy I wanted in the first place.

Scott

Just curious-- what is your intention with this?

Well, first of all, let me say that it's really cool that you found the license-holder.

There are tons of dead-ends and red-herrings to finally locate whoever owns any proprietary info that's over 20 years old.

So, that in itself is an applaudable effort. I've tried tracking down these things before, and have gotten lost, redirected, and frustrated.

Sometimes there's a lead, but most of time, there isn't. So, it's cool that you managed to do this.

When I ask about intentions, I'm wondering what you plan to do with the permission you received.

I take it that you just got written permission for to sell your single cart, regardless of price? Did they ask for a royalty?

Or, will things change now that you have permission-- are you thinking of selling multiple copies?

If I remember right, this was a technical hurdle you were not sure if you could overcome. Now that it has passed, I am wondering if anything changes.

I'm also wondering if your request to them makes yours "the official Star Castle for the 2600", and could potentially halt other efforts.

I'm guessing that's not your intention, but it would ne nice to know the details of the arrangement, so that other people's work isn't potentially halted.

Also, if cd-w is finishes his version, would you be willing to share the licensor info with him so that his version could be official as well?

Regards,

-John

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted an updated version for those who are interested: http://www.atariage....-castle-update/

Chris

This is probably not the right thread for this anymore, but anyway...

Quite a while ago, I had started on a title kernel for Star Castle, but had no time to finish it until recently. It's a title screen based on the Star Castle arcade machine marquee ( http://www.gamesdbas...tar-castle.aspx ). I've tested the kernel on a 4 switch woody 2600 and a 7800, and it seems to work well on real hardware.

Chris, feel free to use whatever you want from this in your game. If you are going to make your own title, I've also added the source graphics, this should provide a good starting point.

post-27536-0-91749000-1330272038_thumb.png

StarCastle_Title.bin

StarCastle_Title.asm

post-27536-0-38313300-1330272170_thumb.png

• Like 6

Hi Joe,

Thanks for posting your title screen code. I like the way that you used the ball and missile sprites to draw the red ring.

If you had been two weeks earlier I would be happy to use your code, but I have already implemented a title screen that Nathan produced:

post-6563-0-32935100-1330415458_thumb.png

Thanks,

Chris

Until solidcorp has the time to answer Propane13's question I'd still call it "Star Chasm" :P

Seriously though. Instead of the fear/uncertainty/doubt induced by closed source and allusions to digging rights holders up from the grave just make it a similar yet open source game.

Edited by theloon

I just want to double check here. The summary is some guy made a homebrew, and wants to charge megabucks or it because he's afraid of piracy... and he's not even the rights holder to star castle in the first place?

Basically, this guy is hopping up on a moral high ground and whining about people pirating his piracy?

• Like 1