IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

Playing Star Castle 2600 got me wanting to check out Yars' Revenge again. I hadn't played it in quite a while and was never very good.

Anyway, it seems playing Star Castle 2600 has helped my Yars' skills also. I NEVER knew there were levels without the neutral zone and had NO idea that the Qotile shield changed colors in later levels. I've now seen the purple/blue, gray, and light purple shields.

Also never experienced the heat-seeking spinner before.

My best Yars' score to date:

post-9364-0-37797600-1340033064_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

I'll try to salvage this thread post-release...

I've reached 11,100 points and finally beat the first level where the dots chase you at a ridiculous speed.

I have found the game simple and yet very addicting!

Perhaps the 32K version that is under development could consider some of the following game variations?

1. No screen wrapping.

2. Asteroid-like hyperspace.

3. A brief shield feature for the players ship. Or some ability to absorb a single hit from the dots without being destroyed.

4. A way to flip directions without having to rotate 180 degrees.

5. Two players at the same time.

2, 3, and 4 all seem plausible as the down direction appears to have no function at this time?

It took several games before I could even get 1 kill. But, I was able to play much better after I got the feel of it. Here's my high score so far: 16830

post-9364-0-98402400-1339365871_thumb.jpg

It's way more fun than I expected. However, it seems impossible at this wave because the enemy dots move so fast that they kill me before I can move. I lost about 9 lives trying to just get out of the way or shoot, but they're way too fast. Is there a strategy that works at this point?

Me too. But can two StarCastles exist in the market at the same time?

Yes, but a name change is in order. Solid got the first star rights so he gets the classic name, the other version is made with modern techniques while solids is made with era appropriate tech so CRW should call his Star Castle EX, Advanced, 2, or something like that.

• Like 1

I thought he tried to find the rights holder but hit dead ends?

and cd-w's version should stay with the name Star Castle Its in the title screen of the RC1 bin and looks great Should not be changed

As for era tech to be truley era should be programmed on the hardware of the era not a modern PC and help from stella emu. But its still a good accomplishment

• Like 2

But can two StarCastles exist in the market at the same time?

I hate to sound like a jerk about this, but who cares? Honestly, the community of people interested in these carts is tiny (sorry, just my opinion. I will only be paying for cd-w's version). There will be no confusion, and if there is, does it really matter? How many versions of Space Invaders, licensed and unlicensed have been barfed out over the years by aspiring programmers across a multitude of platforms?

Solid Corp (sp?) claims to have hit paydirt and is in talks with the copyright holders. Who cares? Did he pay for a license? Has money changed hands? Is there a contract, and could it even be enforced? I seriously doubt any of this would hold up legally.

It just makes my head and my heart hurt to hear people debating the legality of any of this, especially given how some of the folks in this have behaved (poorly), when people so passionately love doing these things for no gain (cd-w and associates).

Wait. Wait. I have a name cd-w's version: Star Castle THE BEST!!! It needs three exclamation points because it really is THE BEST!!! version of Star Castle on the VCS.

Edited by donssword
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I thought he tried to find the rights holder but hit dead ends?

and cd-w's version should stay with the name Star Castle Its in the title screen of the RC1 bin and looks great Should not be changed

As for era tech to be truley era should be programmed on the hardware of the era not a modern PC and help from stella emu. But its still a good accomplishment

I don't think cd-w should change the title.

The title screen is really nice.

I think the base title and the screen should remain the same. But there needs to be *something* or some way or method of distinguishing between the two. Could be anything.. I like the "Advanced" or "EX" or similar sounding designations. It doesn't need to be a complete title change. Well, shit.. It could be different label colors! Call it StarCastle Silver Edition and give it a silver label.. IDK!

As for era-tech & programming to be authentic, yeh -- hmm.. I was thinking.. I don't think we need to work with period tools. It is important to consider the evolution as part of the environment. As tools evolve through time so will the sophistication of the games they help produce.

Look at it this way, early 1970's mfg. processes could not make 22nm microprocessor, but just because this hot-shit cpu has its heritage back to the first 4004, doesn't mean we should use 1970's equipment today to push ahead. Same for the VCS, just because the VCS was made back in the 1970's doesn't mean we should use those same environments that gave birth to it. Authenticity my ass! Any game programmer will tell you the main goals are to optimize, debug, and experiment with new tricks. And the modern day homebrews are simply results of accumulated knowledge and better tools. Each new game is another mile marker.

Just you watch the next 10 years!

I got number 16 and finally got stuff hooked up and played it today. My sansei was so happy :)

The play really is great and I enjoyed how different it's rhythms are from the arcade and vectrex version.

I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to destroy the star castles in this version. It's firing mechanism is

different and I can't use my tactic of firing from one corner through another corner. I

have to get more up close and personal :)

There is something special about seeing your own title screen on a 2600 cart :-) Great port, imho.

post-1570-0-20229100-1348018455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godzilla

What's the deal?

The deal is that there are two versions of Star Castle.

A Kickstarter funded ended project of Star Castle by solidcorp programmed in 8K, no longer available new.

A homebrew AtariAge project that's 32K by CD-W with title screen, music, and high score table (rom available, limited carts made for a gaming expo), and work continuing on it from Thomas J. for later release in the AtariAge Store.