IGNORED

Foam in the bottom of Activision Cart?

VicViper

Just bought a copy of checkers from a local store, and both me and the guy at the store were quite puzzled to discover a cut foam insert inside the bottom of the cart. It's custom cut, not just wadded in there. Whats this all about?

It was an alternate method of protecting the PCB from dust and moisture.

Probably cheaper than manufacturing a spring loaded door, like most ATARI carts.

Seen more commonly in Activision carts, in my experience. They seem to get removed over the years, though, so to find one with it in it is nice.

-a2a

Wow, I've never seen that before.

Its such a classic vintage electronics element--so conceptually required, and so completely uneccessary. It must have been common in some of those initial releases. I don't recall seeing this in any of the carts I bought at discount at KB Toys after the crash.

I love it.

• Like 1

Seeing how snug they are inside, I'm wondering.... were you expected to leave the foam in there while playing? I could see bits of that stuff breaking off over time and winding up in your cartridge port. :(

I don't think they were planning on people still playing atari some 20 years later ;)

Shortsighted bastards! :lol:

• 5 years later...

I would actually. I always liked activisions games back in the day. Too bad for me H.E.R.O and Frostbite are still expensive as heck.

Frostbite is all over Ebay for $10-$20, not exactly what I'd consider "expensive as heck", but I suppose it's all relative - I've recently scored many 2600 favorites for less than $2 each, heh.

What the hell happened with H.E.R.O, though?? I've had several copies at one time, it was far from 'rare'. Something must have happened recently to cause this spike.

Frostbite is all over Ebay for $10-$20, not exactly what I'd consider "expensive as heck", but I suppose it's all relative - I've recently scored many 2600 favorites for less than $2 each, heh.

What the hell happened with H.E.R.O, though?? I've had several copies at one time, it was far from 'rare'. Something must have happened recently to cause this spike.

I can't say for sure, but it seems like I remember some of the price increases being due to a certain Youtube personality. I don't know if that's really true, but I have noticed similar price increases on games for other systems that he "reviewed", so it may be the reason. :(

As far as the foam goes, I'd never seen it either, but it is a neat idea. I would be worried about it getting in the port and blocking the contacts though. Even new foam could easily be ripped and mashed into the cartridge slot.

Edited by RamrodHare