IGNORED

Happy Xmas-Atari ST style :o)

oky2000

I can pixel resize anything to PC desktop sizes if anyone wants. Was just passing a bit of insomnia with some 16 colour reductions.

The 8th picture attached actually has no dithering at all, it is just a straight nearest colour 16 colour conversion with some palette choices modified by me :)

Thanks for the nice pics. Merry Christmas.

Are the 16 colors chosen from the Atari ST (512) colors? STE (4096) colors? Perhaps they are from a larger gamut (16M)?

They can quite easily be made into ST 512 colours but are currently set to RGB of 0-255, it wouldn't make a huge difference though from experience with only 16 colours in the entire pic. All you have to do is make sure the RGB value for each colour is a multiple of 16 etc and round it up/down, or multiples of 8 if you want to do an STE/Amiga version. I was in a bit of a rush though so just left the palette choices and tweaked manually ;)

Thanks for the nice pics. Merry Christmas.

Are the 16 colors chosen from the Atari ST (512) colors? STE (4096) colors? Perhaps they are from a larger gamut (16M)?

They can quite easily be made into ST 512 colours but are currently set to RGB of 0-255, it wouldn't make a huge difference though from experience with only 16 colours in the entire pic. All you have to do is make sure the RGB value for each colour is a multiple of 16 etc and round it up/down, or multiples of 8 if you want to do an STE/Amiga version. I was in a bit of a rush though so just left the palette choices and tweaked manually ;)

Thanks for the reply oky.

Those are some really nice pictures. I do remember back in the day of a program called Spectrum I believe that allowed for more colors than just the 16 colors at one time. I think they figured out a timing with the way that the ST draws an image and came up with a way to display 512 colors at once. The pictures remind me of spectrum pictures.

Yep, Spectrum 512. Great pictures.

Photochrome was even better. Thousands of colors, even on a bog standard ST, and amazing

on the STe's palette. There were some handy utilities that let you convert GIFs and stuff to

the new format. Run the slideshow for wonderful eye candy. :)

Hmmm..when was Photocrome released? Was it early in the ST life cycle or towards the end? I dont remember ever hearing about that program.

Umm, I'm thinking early 90's, maybe 1992 or so?

Here is an excerpt from the DOC file describing its modes:

THE 6 CONVERSION MODES

----------------------

The six screen modes are...

1. Spectrum 512 > 42/45 cols per scanline from 512 on an ST

or STE.

2. Spectrum 4096 > 42/45 cols per scanline from 4096 on an STE.

3. PCS-ST > 48 colours per scanline from 512 on an ST

or STE.

4. PCS-STE > 48 colours per scanline from 4096 on an STE.

5. Super HAM > A full 4096 colours out of 4096 on an ST

or STE.

6. STE PhotoChrome > 19200 colours out of 32768 on an STE.

HTHs.

Here are a couple of pics, converted from the original Photochrome format

to something viewable here (no enhancements - this is what they look like

on an ST as well):

post-5822-0-39068600-1325128873_thumb.png

post-5822-0-53965700-1325128919_thumb.png

post-5822-0-27017100-1325128908_thumb.png

Is that a render of what they will look like with interlaced colours of Photochrome, bit like the previews for C64 iFLI?. I only ask as many of the colours have RGB indexes that are neither divisible by 8 or 16 (for 512/4096 colour palette) so only a Falcon or Amiga 1200/4000 could generate those actual colours as in the images.

I had a hard drive crash two days ago, just before then I found a wonderful collection of original pictures (in original file formats) for both Spectrum512 and Quantum Paint etc. I hope they survived the transfer over to the spare drive intact....as the bookmarks folder went out the window with the files.