IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2012!

15. Quake (PC)

I spent about three nights over the weekend trying to record a longplay video of this on Nightmare mode. I was able to do it, but it wasn't as easy as I thought and took me multiple tries to get through each episode in one swoop without dying. It's been a while since I've played Quake's single player campaign, so in the end it was nice revisiting this game (albeit slightly frustrating, given I was recording at the same time).

Sounds very cool. What kind of game is it? I think I have seen it around, but passed on it.

Sküljagger's an action-platformer, a tiny bit like a 16-bit version of Skull and Crossbones but much more expansive. I'd recommend it, especially from what I know of your tastes in games; it's not flashy, but the core gameplay is fun. Just make sure to get a manual, or at least a manual scan, because the secrets/codes are a big part of the game. I have a manual scan done by KingMike (IIRC) that I could send your way if you're in need.

16. Mega Man 5 (NES)

Well, since I have officially sold this (re: marketplace thread), I figured I needed to do a longplay video of it prior to officially shipping it out. Always intended on doing one, just not anytime soon (wasn't planning on getting rid of it so soon). On a whim, I ran through this just to get familiar with the setup for when I go and do another take tomorrow night for the actual video. Personally, I find this one to be the most lackluster of the original six games. It's not bad, it just.. Doesn't really hold up that well compared to the others. Even part 6. Boring music, boring level design, boring robot master weapons, lame story. It looks all right for the most part though and the bosses are good (well, their patterns anyway--the concept of many of them is a different story all together). So, not a great Mega Man game in my opinion, and hardly worth the price it goes for (Now, if it was in the $15 range like Mega Man IV is, then I might not feel as harshly about it). Still a decent NES game on its own though.

So, not a great Mega Man game in my opinion, and hardly worth the price it goes for (Now, if it was in the $15 range like Mega Man IV is, then I might not feel as harshly about it). Still a decent NES game on its own though.

I could impossibly afford the original cartridge (Here's one on eBay with a buy-it-now tag of €2000.- :roll: : eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1207552486221?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp), but thank heavens it was added to the European Virtual Console last week, so I can now play it for a fiver :)

I had a workmate visiting me this evening and we played through Forgotten Worlds in coop (CCC for PS2), unlocking all 4 extras. Defintely the best of Capcoms 'jetpack' games :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts & Forgotten Worlds

19. Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge (SNES)

Another bit of unfinished business from my teenage years. I actually beat it in emulation about ten years ago, but that was with savestates -- this is the first time I've beaten it on real hardware.

I really like this game. While tough as nails, it's actually not quite as difficult as its reputation, with one exception: the Juggernaut stage is brutal! Other than endlessly wailing away at him, the trick is to make sure the weights fall on his head; if they just get in his way, they don't seem to do enough damage.

I did take advantage of the extra-lives trick in Gambit's stage. I don't know whether that's an intentional secret, or just a glitch -- I'm guessing it's the latter -- but since it's not a cheat code, can be discovered in the course of normal play, and doesn't make the gameplay itself any easier, I think it's fair game. Frankly, the game really should've had unlimited continues or a password system anyway.

And if it did have one, and if the Juggernaut stage were a bit less ridiculous, it'd arguably be one of the best action-platformers ever made for SNES. Interpret the extra-lives glitch as a corrective measure, and factor in the amazing soundtrack and strong gameplay, and I think Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge gets at least an A-minus, maybe even an A.

Another one down, I've just beaten Tiger Road on CCC2 for PS2, unlocking all 3 extras :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds & Tiger Road

Black Tiger is also done, I just finished the VC version on the Wii :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road & Black Tiger

17. Mega Man (NES)

I ran through the first Mega Man the other night to kill two birds with one stone: capture footage for a longplay video, as well as submit a score in the NES High Score Club. Actually, add a third one in there as well--I was using it to test out a FC Game Console NES clone console. It has been a couple of years since I last played it, and in combination of getting used to the odd clone controllers, it took me a couple of tries on Gutsman's stage to get comfortable with it again. But I did, and I ended up running through the entire game--without any trouble until the end of Dr. Wily's stages--in one swoop. This game is fairly unique compared to the rest of the games in the series, and as it stands, is a good thing IMO. Whereas later Mega Man games feel over-done or beat into the ground, the first Mega Man always stands fresh to me. Part of it is how it feels, part of it is how it sounds, and part of it are the great boss fights.

18. Mega Man 6 (NES)

Because I might be selling this soon, I decided to give it a run as well. After playing through Mega Man 5 the week-before, I really wasn't thrilled to do this one. However, this game stands to be the exact opposite of Mega Man 5--it has some great level design! Whereas the stages are bland and the enemies are monotonous and purposely annoying in Part 5, there is a lot of great variety here, with just about each and every stage (prior to the Dr. X and Wily castles) featuring brand-new enemies. The soundtrack, also unlike part 5, is much more catchy and fits the experience well. Strangely enough though.. the bosses are absolutely terrible in Mega Man 6. I won't even comment on the concepts (what's the point?), but the patterns are yawn-inducing. The weapons the bosses provide you with aren't anything special either, and are arguably the worst in the series. Still, I had a great time running through this one (as opposed to Mega Man 5), thanks to the fantastic level design. The new Rush packs and alternate (but not mandatory) paths add a bit of flavor to the mix as well. Definitely a worthwhile addition to the series, possibly above Mega Man 4 now in my book, and naturally way above Mega Man 5, which in my opinion, sits at the bottom of the pack.

19. DOOM (SNES)

As I was on a DOOM kick (and a DOOM longplay recording kick) a few weeks back, I had the urge to do the SNES version of the game as well. Unfortunately, I had to actually buy the game, as it won't work on my flash cart. Surprisingly, as bad as this version is, it's difficult to get a cartridge on eBay for under $15 after shipping. I was able to find one for about $14 shipped, and bit the bullet and jumped on it last week. It's not in the best shape, but it's not terrible. Anyway, that's asides the point--since I received it in the mail yesterday, the first thing I did when I got home from work last night was hook up the 'ole SNES (I typically use my FC Twin for my daily gaming, as most carts work in it), set up my capture hardware, and ran through the entire game from start to finish in about two and a half hours (maybe three), on Nightmare mode.

SO... How was it? Well... Quite painful, to be honest. The Saturn version that I ran through a little while back has some framerate problems, but it's still relatively playable (as bad as it is). The SNES one on the other hand.. Ugh. YouTube videos really make it look better than it actually is, and that hit me pretty quickly, almost immediately upon starting a new game. The controls are somewhat sluggish, you can't turn and strafe at the same time (you can in other versions), and you get stuck on walls if you try to move along them too closely. Graphically the game is great by SNES standards. Asides from the Winter Gold game that never came to the States, it's the most impressive SNES title--from a visual standpoint. It sounds good, too. People have commented about the awesome renditions of the classic DOOM tunes, but a lot of the sound effects from the PC game are sampled here as well. They sound muffled, but still get the job done. It's the gameplay that really falters, unfortunately. It's so sluggish, I really, really don't recommend playing this one when you have other versions available. The level designs are surprisingly more complete and true to the PC game than other home ports of DOOM, but even with that you are still better off playing other home versions.

I might as well add to the thread. I have put several games in the finished column. Some I had beaten just not fully. This is just from Jan turn of the year not including all I beat last year.

1: Metroid NES

2: Super Metroid SNES

3: Metroid Prime GC.

In the case of Prime I had beaten it, but only at 75% I finally tediously searched out every expansion, beam missile combo, and Scan needed. Still only had 29 hours in after all that running around. It was done in hard mode as well.

4: Metroid Prime 2 Echoes GC

Again played through once without the 100% bonuses. Man this one was much worse being you have to just about do everything twice. I tend to play games from the earliest version possible, and work my way to the present gen stuff.

5: Zelda NES

6: Zelda II The Adventure of Link NES

7: Zelda A link to the past SNES

I never got to the later Zelda games, but did play through those last year.

8: Ace Combat 4 Shattered skies PS-2

9: Ace Combat 5 Unsung War PS-2

10: Ace Combat Zero The Belkan war PS-2

11: Final Fantasy VII PS One

12: Final Fantasy X PS-2

13: Final Fantasy X-2 PS-2

Finally FINALLY! I finished FF VII I have no idea why I never got around to finishing it back in the day? Was pretty good to finally see the end. I skipped the others to move on to X, and X-2 Played through them both, but still could not get the best ending on X-2.... I can never get the scene right on the Far Plane. Everything else to meet 100% is easy compared to that.

14: GTA III PS-2

15: GTA Vice City PS-2

16: GTA: San Andreas PS-2

17: GTA: Vice City stories PS-2

18: GTA IV PS-3

19: GTA IV The lost, and damned PS-3

I have been slowly playing through GTA IV Finally got to the end last week. Beat it in both scenarios Deal, And Revenge. Both were messed up endings. TLAD I got it last Sat. I finished it just a couple of hours ago. Was surprised it was so short. Now to finish GTA The ballad of gay Tony. If I can stay off the web based part of it long enough to actually finish missions.

Other than finally after all these years getting the 500,000+ population in SimCity on SNES, there may be a few more I'm missing. I'll likely start back on the NES in short time, and work forward on some titles I keep putting off. I'll add more after going through them. Now if I just had a Wii so I could finish the Metroid Prime series, and play through The other M.

Edited by Yellow355F1

20. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)

The first "MetroidVania"-style Castlevania game that was fully able to replicate the look and feel of Symphony of the Night (polygonal backgrounds and all). I recall not enjoying it as much as I would have liked when it originally came out, but every few years I revisit it in hopes I will enjoy it more. As time moves on, it seems I do! This time I really dived into the soul system, gathering as many as I could. The thing about this game--unlike Order of Ecclesia (awesome, awesome game, by the way)--every enemy drops a soul, giving you a lot to aim for. They are likely to also drop a variety of other items as well. If you are the kind of person that likes to grind to gather all the rare items enemies may hold, then there is a lot here for you to do. I do feel there were a few poor design choices made, including having to have specific souls in order to progress at points in the game, but overall the game is still a lot of fun, and quite addictive. I'm not sure if I think it is the best of the three DS games (Order of Ecclesia is pretty awesome), but it's definitely worth playing. Since I've been on a Castlevania kick, Portrait of Ruin is going to be next on the list, one I have only finished a single time before (and didn't really care for it if I remember correctly). Let's see if some of the traits that sucked me in on this last playthrough of Dawn of Sorrow will carry over and make me appreciate Portrait of Ruin more than before.

I can add Gargoyle's Quest to my list now as well. What a fabulous experience this was :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger & Gargoyle's Quest