IGNORED

3 new iCade products!

SpiceWare

more info here, with a photo showing the other 4 buttons on the back of the Jr.

http://arstechnica.c...cade-mobile.ars

The iCade is a bluetooth device that's configured for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch). iOS doesn't directly support controllers, so the iCade sends a keyboard stroke when a button is pressed, and a different one when the button is released. Probably not the best solution for a MAME cabinet. From here:

iCadeControls.jpg

Is it worth it to gut the iCade just for the buttons & stick? Or is it cheaper to buy those separately for MAME cabinets?

if that is your route, just find one of the mk fight sticks tHat came with the mortal kombat limited bundle. They are fantastic

With iMAME, the iCade is fantastic. The stick and buttons aren't fighting stick-quality, but they're just fine for most games. What I like about this setup versus a computer or dedicated cabinet is that you just rotate the iPad 90 degrees if you want to go from portrait to landscape or vice versa. The old cabinet-style iCade looks better than the new iCade Core, I think, but the Core seems better for landscape games. With the cabinet, the iPad is about an inch closer to the stick and buttons when it is in landscape mode. Still playable but not ideal.

I was just listening to a podcast where they discussed these new devices and one of the hosts mentioned how the iCade Mobile looks a lot like an Atari Lynx. I think he's right actually.

ion_icade_mobile_7_1020_large.jpg

It made me think, could/would Atari ever release Lynx games for iOS? I'm not sure how the licensing side of things would work out there but it would be awesome to play Slime World again

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to add to the discussion .. I have modified my iCade to allow Atari controller input .. Which allows me to use my Starplex 5 button controller for Asteroids .. As well as two stuck control for Battlezone ... AND I have tested the

Driving Controller with it and it DOES interpret spinner input !!