IGNORED

Best Box Art?

BillyHW

What do you think is the best classic game box art? Here's my first nominee:

Dragon_Warrior.jpg

I have to admit, I bought this game just because of the box art. I didn't even know what it was about. Same for this one:

Ninja_Gaiden_(NES).jpg

Oh yeah. In these two cases at least, judging a book by it's cover actually worked! Two great games!

The Atari boxes are among my favorites, too. The "montage" paintings they used for their Warner-era releases always had all kinds of interesting things going on inside them, and as I said in another thread about them, they "served as a visual aid to prime my imagination, giving me a mental image that I could impose on the more primitive audiovisuals of the actual game as I was playing it". Some people like to criticize them because they don't reflect what the game really looks like, but in my opinion that criticism misses the point.

My favorites among the Atari 2600 boxes are the Berzerk, Defender, Missile Command, Star Raiders, and Vanguard boxes. I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Brain Games, Breakout, and Super Breakout box art, even though the latter two in particular seem to get a lot of criticism. Aside for a plain old screenshot, how else would you visualize what's going on in the Breakout games?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Atari boxes are among my favorites, too. The "montage" paintings they used for their Warner-era releases always had all kinds of interesting things going on inside them, and as I said in another thread about them, they "served as a visual aid to prime my imagination, giving me a mental image that I could impose on the more primitive audiovisuals of the actual game as I was playing it". Some people like to criticize them because they don't reflect what the game really looks like, but in my opinion that criticism misses the point.

That's exactly how i feel about game art. The disparity between the fabulous images and the actual game is a huge style point in my opinion. As long as there is some sort of payoff, I don't mind if the art offers way more than the game could possibly live up to. It makes it seem like magic, like rubbing two sticks together to produce fire, or like Sea Monkies heh.