IGNORED

The Next Generation Consoles

Cobra Kai

Will anyone want to buy a Playstation 4? Until Sony has a major change in their thinking regarding online security, should anyone buy one?

I find it hard to see me going with Sony as a first system again, or maybe even ever again, but a few will. I can't see ps4 reaching the level of success ps3 had, and of the playstation consoles, I think that PS3 has had by far the worst run.

There are still scenarios where I can imagine me purchasing a ps4, but I don't think that sony is interested in anything involved with those.

Edited by Reaperman

i think it's funny when people refer to the next systems as the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720. i'd love to see a list of phony names that the gaming community has come up with over the past two decades.

back on topic, i'm pretty sure i'm going to stay a fanboy of Nintendo regardless of the shovelware. i have no interest and haven't even played a PS3, and i still consider my 360 a new machine. it hasn't gotten nearly as many hours as my wii even though it's an older model. maybe that's why i haven't gotten the RRoD yet!

No physical media means I simply will not participate in the the next generation. And, by extension, if there is physical media but it falls under "you don't own it and have to subscribe to the stuff we didn't put on your $59.99 disc" then you can count me out as well. And I probably helped them develop half of Halo Reach with amount I used to spend on games. They'll lose all that business in a heartbeat.

Edited by iswitt
  • Like 1

Alot of predictions you made for the next gen Xbox is contradictory to the direction they went with this generation.

I don't recall a silver level of service on the original Xbox, only a paid service (correct me if I am wrong). The 360 introduced the gold and silver levels of service. Having only a gold level of service would be silly, it would cut out any customer who didn't want to pay for gold, but still wanted to occasionally download a map pack, arcade game or movie.

When the 360 was introduced it did not have an HDMI port on it, Microsoft added it with later revisions of the 360. If they wanted to sell you a specific cable or adapter, they could have easily done that with the 360, but did the complete opposite.

I agree with you that Kinect will be a big part of the next Xbox. Think of Siri with the added flexibility of hand movements, facial recognition, etc to navigate menus, DVR service, TV service, etc.

I would guess the next Xbox will have a Blue Ray drive in it. If Microsoft really wants the next Xbox to be a all in one entertainment unit, it needs to have a drive for people to play thier existing DVD or Blue Ray movies, CDs etc., or it isn't much of an all in one box. Retailers will still want to sell discs for the next generation Xbox as well. I would guess that videogames generate a lot of foot traffic for stores like Toys r Us, Best Buy, or Wal Mart. You usually have to walk by many different departments in most stores to get the the game section, I would guess there is a reason behind that placement.

Edited by Bilnick
  • Like 2

The 'not playing used games' thing may be a possibility. Still, ignoring the potential boon in their relationships with publishers for a moment, there's not much of a commercial reason for Microsoft to do this at a console level. Any publisher is already fully able to do this themselves: require a code to be entered before being able to access the game. Done, period. As Microsoft, why take it upon yourself to institute this console wide? If they wanted to do this for their own games, again, go the 'enter code to play' route.

I'm hoping that my controllers will still work with the next Xbox. I actually want to pick up a couple of new ones, but at this point I'm kind of waiting to see if they'll be compatible with the new console. If not, then my current ones are more than adequte for legacy gaming on the 360.

There's no way to not allow used game sales.

We're years away from anything approaching 100% broadband availability in areas like North America and millions of current generation gaming hardware has never even been connected to the internet. How would they manage it without killing off a significant percentage of their business that doesn't have their systems connected to the internet? Could they impliment a system that ties a game to a single console only and have that limitation also apply to those that stay offline?

I suppose they could make a portion of an optical disc be rewritable with the disc tied to the system the first time it's played (And before someone suggests it, rewritable flash media is far too expensive compared to optical media which makes it all but certain that the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be sticking with optical discs). But with the way console durability has been slipping in recent generations, that would be a disaster for any company foolish enough to try such a thing. Imagine putting Halo 5 into your $400 Xbox 720 only for the game to be bricked at the first cutscene when the system fails and the system the game is tied to is no longer functional.

I just don't see a way to prevent used game sales. I'm sure we will see single use unlock codes growing in popularity this generation and being applied to more and more single player components to encourage new game sales or at least make something off used game sales. But I suspect the majority of a disc will remain playable on any system on the Xbox 720.

Edited by Atariboy

i think it's funny when people refer to the next systems as the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720. i'd love to see a list of phony names that the gaming community has come up with over the past two decades.

back on topic, i'm pretty sure i'm going to stay a fanboy of Nintendo regardless of the shovelware. i have no interest and haven't even played a PS3, and i still consider my 360 a new machine. it hasn't gotten nearly as many hours as my wii even though it's an older model. maybe that's why i haven't gotten the RRoD yet!

PS4 phoney? Well considering that we have had a PS2 and PS3, I think PS4 has a pretty good shot at the title. Maybe its me?

I for one will take a wait and see approach with the next Wii considering Nintendo doesn't get near the same vitriol towards it as say Activision for regurgitating titles out. I also want to wait to see how much these controllers are going to cost.

But with the way console durability has been slipping in recent generations

Why blame an entire generation on Microsofts fail?

We have Microsoft to blame for bringing unfinished software, hardware failure and CD-keys to the video game console world. This didn't used to be like this.

I thought EA was the first company to introduce online keys for multiplayer.

PS4 phoney? Well considering that we have had a PS2 and PS3, I think PS4 has a pretty good shot at the title. Maybe its me?

I for one will take a wait and see approach with the next Wii considering Nintendo doesn't get near the same vitriol towards it as say Activision for regurgitating titles out. I also want to wait to see how much these controllers are going to cost.

I think they said $90 somewhere.

But with the way console durability has been slipping in recent generations

Why blame an entire generation on Microsofts fail?

We have Microsoft to blame for bringing unfinished software, hardware failure and CD-keys to the video game console world. This didn't used to be like this.

I don't know where you've been, but console durability has been declining for years. The first several years of Playstation and Playstation 2 production (If you have a working example of either system from their first few years of production, you have a true rarity these days), Thompson drive equipped Xbox's being ticking time bombs, the early CD based consoles and console add-ons that had absolutely horrible failure rates, failure rates on pre slim PS3's increasing at what seems like an alarming rate, the Wii's issue early on with double layered disc and increasing amounts of reports of GPU damage now that systems are aging, the Dreamcast's variety of common ailments, etc.

The 360's famous RROD incident is just one of many issues we've had compared to the days of cartridge based gaming. There was a day when most systems were all but bulletproof (beyond perhaps the controller itself, especially when talking about things like CX40's and the 5200's joysticks). Those days are long gone and I don't envision the situation ever getting much better. The 360 didn't hold a monopoly on trouble.

And what CD keys? Do you mean online passes? The situation is no better than it is on the PS3. And unfinished software? Fire up a PS3 someday and see what it's like when you're facing a several hundred MB game patch, which is far from a rare occurance in PS3 games. Give me the Xbox 360 and patches that never keep you out of a game more than maybe 30 seconds from prompt to the game rebooting. And Nintendo is hardly immune. Their last two major Zelda releases both had crippling bugs that could prevent you from finishing the game. At least on the competition, such things had the possibility of being fixed...

i think it's funny when people refer to the next systems as the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720.

Don't you think it beats having to state things like "the system that will replace the Xbox 360", "the next generation Xbox", the Playstation 3's successor, etc.?

Calling the PS3 replacement a PS4 is easy and everyone immediately knows exactly what you're talking about (The same with Xbox 720). I think everyone realizes they're just placeholders being used for the sake of brevity.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Imagine putting Halo 5 into your $400 Xbox 720 only for the game to be bricked at the first cutscene when the system fails and the system the game is tied to is no longer functional.

I think this is already happening in the PC realm, isn't it? My coworker installed Battlefield 3 on his laptop to see if it would run. It was too choppy. So he uninstalled it and then installed onto his desktop but Battelfield 3 told him "sorry, this has already been installed once, no play for you my friend".

And another buddy of mine said he had the same issue with Civilization 5.

So just take that DRM fun and apply it to XBox 720 and there we have it, the future is now.

I'm not that familiar with current day PC gaming (And most of what I do is purchased through Steam anyways), but I imagine the disc is untouched and all you have to do is contact the publisher if you need to install it on a different PC so they can clear the cd key.

Not an ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination, but it's also far from a disc being turned into a coaster like the situation I proposed would result in.