IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

seems noone seen it, despite of being the only one on my web site :P

You really should improve/update your website. Without knowing a direct link, this is (for me) unfindable on your website.

The only two pages I can find by browsing to your site are these:

http://www.spiflash.org/block/19.html

http://www.spiflash.org/block/20.html

When I want to check your page, I surf to www.spiflash.org and click Ultimate 1MB. That's all I can find then.

Perhaps this clears up, why people have issues finding the things they need to find?

I'm also interested in pics of building this in 600XL btw. Are those on that site too? Thanks a lot!

Greetz

Marius

• Like 1

There are various U1MB related files here:

http://www.spiflash.org/atari/ultimate/

600XL pics are here but without the four extra wires:

http://www.spiflash.org/atari/ultimate/600xl/

This is the page with how to do the wires and the two resistors on the 800XL but it seems no reachable by any menu. I just guessed the URL:

http://spiflash.org/block/21.html

And here the page for the 130XE. Also the URL guessed:

http://spiflash.org/block/22.html

Robert

Not my photos, but there are already plenty floating around if one cares to look:

post-21964-0-19006200-1342991624_thumb.jpg

Not the clearest photo, but readily available IC pin-outs should remove any mystery.

I am also interested with the ones that are not floating around... some people have ingenious ways to get around obstacles and I may benefit from their ideas. Also there is no mistery to the the IC pinouts, those I can locate myself. And I am honestly tired of your insinuating comments, why don't you just let it go.....did you really post your photo as a prelude for your comment... I've already thought of removing the RF modulator so your photo doesn't add any new ideas.

I think you're seeing insinuation where non exists. Seriously man, someone posts a picture to try and help you out and that's your response ?

:-(

Exactly right :) "if one cares to look", means just that, there is a horn o'plenty wealth of information on this site...

I'm still finding loads of new stuff in old threads ;)

Jay

Jay let's not restart this whole deal once again... I just want to do my upgrade and get over with so I can do other more productive things instead of scouring AA pages for information that must have been under one place for everybody to refer to, to start with.

Atari8Warez: I have no particular wish to soil this thread with pointless arguments, but it's clear to me that you have some kind of social problem. You have such an immense chip on your shoulder about something or other that you see every common-sense remark as laden with insinuation against your character. Next time you ask for information or photos, tell you what I'll do: absolutely nothing at all. If the photo's no use to you, please shove it where the sun don't shine.

"If one cares to look"..... I cared for this upgrade more than anything else and saying "if one cares too look" just gets on my nerves, but you're right maybe he didn't insinuate, he simply said it outright.....

Heh... yes, you cared for this upgrade enough to use a cobbed-together DIL machine socket for the MMU, and a pre-used machine socket for the OS ROM. That really gets on my nerves. And yes: I wasn't insinuating: I was SAYING. You asked for photos of a 130XE installation... the same kind of information I went looking for when my second Ultimate 1MB landed on the doormat, and the same information I found on this forum (corroborated by information on Candle's website), and which led to a successful installation. I made a dumb-ass mistake when performing an 800XL installation, however, and this mistake cost weeks of wasted time. The cause of that wasted time was my momentary inability to assimilate basic instructions. At no point did I blame the documentation for my errors.

Yes, the installation instructions aren't as complete as they could be, but no-one has yet stepped up and written something better to replace them. But the fact is most people have coped. I've seen written "the docs could be better" dozens of times in this thread: OK, the docs could be better, but what other people are saying is that the information is there. You say you're interested in the photos which "are not floating around". Why? What's up with the pictures on the forum? Not good enough for you?

You were having problems, you asked for help: people are helping you. You made your point about the documentation (point well taken). You proved to everyone you were joking about your soldering. I can understand you're very frustrated about not being able to get Ultimate 1MB working properly, but really... please don't take it out on the folks who are trying to help (and trying to help you help yourself, which is perhaps the key point).

• Like 2

The cause of that wasted time was my momentary inability to assimilate basic instructions. At no point did I blame the documentation for my errors.

What basic instructions?, what documentation?, there ain't any other than a few photos thrown together. It's funny that the existing documentation mostly covers the info on how to crimp the wires when there are plenty of other things to watch for during installation.

Yes, the installation instructions aren't as complete as they could be, but no-one has yet stepped up and written something better to replace them.

Maybe that's because everybody - except you - thinks that documentation should have been the developer's job.. So funny eh!...

You were having problems, you asked for help: people are helping you. You made your point about the documentation (point well taken). You proved to everyone you were joking about your soldering. I can understand you're very frustrated about not being able to get Ultimate 1MB working properly, but really... please don't take it out on the folks who are trying to help (and trying to help you help yourself, which is perhaps the key point).

And I am thanking anybody who is trying to help. You really haven't helped, you simply posted a photo of what I was thinking of doing anyway (removing the RF modulator). Which by the way wasn't a good idea after I examined the mobo closely. There are plenty of other options around that area to mount U1MB. And I still believe you posted the photo as a prelude to your comment, so that you can say "If anybody cares to look for". When I come here to ask a question I am only looking for information not personal opinions. Keep'em to yourself please.

And don't even bring my homemade socket into the discussion. It works just fine with my Atari, is it not good enough for the U1MB??

For anybody else who is interested to know where U1MB can go in a 130XE, here's how I am doing mine, using the cables made for the 800XL

post-15627-0-27301000-1343061807_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

And while looking for traces on my 130XE mobo i found this. Somebody in the assembly line obviously didn't have a good night's sleep.....Nice!!!.....I am surprised that this machine has worked with no problems since day one... Guess my homemade sockets are more than good enough for the Atari :P. Actually looking more carefuly at the photo that diode and resistor connects to a non-existant U35, that probably explains why I didn't have any problems. But I must admit this is one heck of a cost cutting, saving solder/labor from two solder points...

post-15627-0-86557600-1343066440_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-78217900-1343066453_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

fjc: book your tickets! you're going to Canada!

There are less drastic solutions to this Candle I am sure you have an idea about it already ;)

Looking at your XE connections photo, I would say one without crispy (read as BBQ ed) solder connections might have looked a little more professional although perhaps not as delicious. :grin:

post-15627-0-24952700-1343068693_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

what can i say - i'm just tallented amatour, and my humble being can't be compared to your person, skill level, and certainly self-confidence

but, if i may note something here - they works - somenthing uncommon to yours - or so it seems

i think you're on your own now - well deserved to be

• Like 2

i think you're on your own now - well deserved to be

Why do I have a feeling that I have always been on my own, from the very beginning.....

And my self-confidence (if I may actually call it that) probably stems from the fact that I feel fully responsible from what I make and proceed accordingly.

If I understand correctly when you're referring to "mine" you mean my SIO2PC. If that's the case I have yet to see a complaint.

And right now, right here I am pledging anyone who had a problem with either my device or it's documentation to come forward and I will make it right or if I can't I will return their money. The lifetime warranty on enclosed units wasn't just a marketing gimmick!... and the documentation is on my website with VISIBLE links for anybody to easily access it. I don't simply put the device together and let everybody deal with it as they see fit, even for a plug and play device like SIO2PC I have spent hours to put a decent documentation together so that nobody is left behind in case they needed information.

Edited by atari8warez

And right now, right here I am pledging anyone who had a problem with either my device or it's documentation to come forward and I will make it right or if I can't I will return their money. The lifetime warranty on enclosed units wasn't just a marketing gimmick!... and the documentation is on my website with VISIBLE links for anybody to easily access it. I don't simply put the device together and let everybody deal with it as they see fit, even for a plug and play device like SIO2PC I have spent hours to put a decent documentation together so that nobody is left behind in case they needed information.

You should start your own thread instead of your continued trashing of this one :mad: :mad: :mad: ...

Or are you afraid to? Actions speak louder than words :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jay

You should start your own thread instead of your continued trashing of this one :mad: :mad: :mad: ...

Or are you afraid to? Actions speak louder than words :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jay

That was a reply to Candle's comment, and if I hear any complaints, you can bet your ass that I will do it on it's own thread.

FYI, I am not afraid of anything and no matter how many agry faces you post, I won't be intimidated....

By the way, first posting 3 angry faces, then following it by 3 LMAO faces indicates a good possibility of a mental disorder...

Edited by atari8warez

Let be one thing very clear: I'm as happy as a kid with my Ultimate 1MB upgrade. It does what I wanted for such a long time. I really appreciate very much what candle did and does (I think I have written enough posts where I send hem compliments and all that). In fact: I have put away a lot of my own creations and upgrades, and I'm just satisfied with one Atari 800XL with Ultimate 1MB. It works great, and it does it all. And indeed: I'm one of these people who succeeded in installing this treasure in his atari, while I was rather confused about the existing documentation, and indeed with the help of the forum and candle I succeeded (and I know... I have been a pain in the *ss too with my impatience and all that).

And to continue... I think atari8warez is -to say it gently- not handy in his communication. He steps with his feed on toes all the time and he writes things that I think too: hmmm is this leading to success? ... My grandmother already told me: never bite the hand, that is feeding you....

(You are wanting for a 'But...' right?)

Ok ... But ....

I still think he has somewhere a point. Honest. (HE= atari8warez) <- EDIT.

The Ultimate 1MB was once introduced as a solderless upgrade. It should be really a piece of cake to install this thing. Well... when my first batch arrived I really scratched my head (not balls!! orpheuswalking) a few times when I saw all these parts, and I really was a little worried about cutting traces on my Motherboard and creating that connector: oh my G*d... I ended up with soldering the 4 wires directly on the U1MB PCB... I love to solder ;) so that was not really an issue ;)

I do not blame candle for this; I succeeded in my install... and I'm more than satisfied.

But I can imagine that someone else, with less luck, is feeling like atari8warez feels right now. I know at least one other person who did not even start with the install of this upgrade, and feeling the same. He had also an "Huh? What is this?!?!" feeling when he opened his package. That person also still thought that it would be a simple plug-and-play item.

Perhaps people who think that way, should inform theirselves (is this a word?) better. Perhaps people should be reading more.

But on the other side... when I buy something from Atarimax (atari8warez already wrote this), I get really everything I need. Even when Steve Tucker knows I'm a rather experienced atari user.

The final delivery is better, which is good.

When I received my packages (I have 15 of these fabulous upgrades in total) I was surprised too I could not see what package belongs to what system (I ordered for 800xl, 800XE and 600XL).

There were some little complaints about this after the first delivery, and I think it would have been a good thing, when this would have been better in the second delivery.

I think there must be room (in this thread yes) to say things like this. I started with writing that I'm VERY satisfied, and that candles has got a lot of deserved compliments for all he did. But there are some points that he could improve.

And that is my final feedback on this.

I hope candle does not get discouraged by all this. That would be a big loss for this.

@atari8warez: If I was you I'd try to search for another 800XL ... the chance that it will work this time is bigger. And... fix yourself NEW cables for your upgrade. Make sure these are really PERFECT.

Edited by Marius1976

By the way, first posting 3 angry faces, then following it by 3 LMAO faces indicates a good possibility of a mental disorder.

Since you're not a psychiatrist, you've got to be speaking from self experience and your doctors' evaluation of you :grin: :grin: :grin:

It's apparent that you have MANY Disorders in your persona, based on everything you've exhibited here, right....

And you've proved my point by not starting your own thread, no balls...

not again...

Don't worry, I won't fall for it, not this time ;-)

I am about to finish my 130XE Upgrade and will shortly post my result, and I am hoping that it will be a happy ending. What I care most is that the upgrade works... I was waiting for this thing to resume working on AspeQt (cause I want it to be SDX compatible) and U1MB was the perfect upgrade that promised to give me a large RAM and built-in SDX with a SDX clock that is iceing on the cake... I really didn't care for any other 8 bit upgrades as i did for this one. So receiving my package without even a word on how to install it was a big disappointment, however I didn't come back here running to complain about it's exclusion. I tried to install it without any help, i don't mind soldering either as i do that everyday. Cutting traces however was a little too much for my taste, so looked for and found info on how to put the resistors on the cable. Why is this possibility never mentioned by Candle either here or on his website??, why did we have to cut traces if we really didn't need to?

Anyway I didn't make a huge deal about that either, but whenever I needed real help and came back to the thread to ask questions, what I've got was from a handful of Candle'O'Sin brown nosers was condescending messages that tried to put the blame on me for every difficulty that I experienced. Going as far as using my self-directed jokes as a weapon against me.

Under those conditions, do you think blaming my communication skills is really fair. I respond to people in the way they understand, I am not a politician (never liked being one) and I will say whatever I think is fair, and saying that this project lacks in documentation BIG TIME is only fair. No matter Atarigeezer and the likes say, my opinion on this will not change, because it is the truth.

@Atari8warez

One more thing.... I see you have in your XE the INfamous "MT" branded DRAMS. IIRC these are big trouble makers.... If you get the chance you'd better replace these by other brand (like NEC or SIEMENS) 41256 chips (120 or 150ns)

Can someone confirm that the drams on atari8warez are indeed the ones that give more than other brands problems.

@Atari8warez

One more thing.... I see you have in your XE the INfamous "MT" branded DRAMS. IIRC these are big trouble makers.... If you get the chance you'd better replace these by other brand (like NEC or SIEMENS) 41256 chips (120 or 150ns)

Can someone confirm that the drams on atari8warez are indeed the ones that give more than other brands problems.

Yes they are, I already replaced one, but my motto at this time is "don't fix it if it ain't broken, or until it's broken"... Let me see if the U1MB works first...

I have two news, first one is you won't be seeing me complaining again about U1MB, which brings the subject to the second news which is, it now works with no problems in my 130XE.

So why didn't it work with the 800XL?. Well, some might say that I made a boo-boo in my 800XL installation and that I:

- Lifted a trace desoldering the OS ROM even though it was repaired and checked and double checked,

- Used a socket for the OS connection from an old video card, which is by the way not a precision socket,

- Used a home made MMU socket put together from a complete 14 pin DIP plus an extention piece from another to make it a 20 pin socket,

- Used an extention cable with the all too important signal lines and to make matters worse I had part of the cable twisted,

- I don't have the necessary skills/tools to properly diagnose my 800XL installation,

- I was unlucky,

- All of the above.

Well, how come my 130XE installation worked without a hitch then, while:

- I still used a socket from an old network card for the OS connection,

- Still used a home made socket for the MMU as explained above,

- Still used the same extention cable with twists,

- Still don't have necessary skills/tools,

- If i have bad luck clouds over my head, I still had them today, in fact it poured cats and dogs here in Toronto

My take on this guessing game is NONE of the above.... And what is the real reason... the answer is I don't know, but I have a hunch.

In my opinion (and I may be wrong) U1MB was designed and tested on a XE series computer. Why do I say that, here's why.....

Ian Chadwick on his Mapping the Atari - Revised edition writes about the PBI changes on an XE computer and says, and I quote:

".... The XE continues the parallel bus, but improves it with a clock line and built-in +/- 5v dc current" and he continues " ....It is (ECI) functionally similar and software compatible with the PBI described above...."

To me, the two keywords here are similar and software compatible, which may also be interpreted as:

Not exactly the same and not necessarly hardware compatible.

Now, bob1200xl, here in this very thread said that there are unknowns and many unaswered questions about the PHI2.

So my questions to Candle may be these:

Did you design the hardware primarily 130XE in mind and tested it using an XE machine?

Since U1MB ties into the PHI2 line, did you investigate the differences (whether be functional/electrical etc..) between the XL and XE series?

Seeing that the majority of problems (at least so far) lays with the 800XL installations one can not help but think that there are differences in between the two enough to make some 800XL installations to fail.

I may be all wrong about these assumptions, but what Candle can do is at least clear the doubt with some semi-technical explanation so that we earthly creatures can understand....

And Candle thanks for a great product, it's fantastic when it works...... and it's been working just fine with my 130XE during the last couple of hours...

Edited by atari8warez

For anybody else who is interested to know where U1MB can go in a 130XE, here's how I am doing mine, using the cables made for the 800XL

I am so surprised that nobody noticed the big mistake on this photo on the above quoted msg so far....

Take a careful look at the MMU cable folks... Where do you think the #1 wire on that cable goes... obviously not to #1 pin on the MMU socket

FJC this is why i wasn't interested with photos floating around AA but prefered to ask to someone who have succesfuly completed their installation.

In any case... I will be documenting my 130XE installation soon in the hopes that some poor soul wouldnt have to go through the same frustrations

Edited by atari8warez