IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

here is updated list

so far i was able to order all connectors and cables, part of this order is already at my place, cables are cut to their apriopriate lengs and waiting for emulation connectors (they have long deliver times on these items)

i didn't reveived quotations for semiconductors, so they are not ordered as yet

if this is not going to change till thuesday, i'll change supplier

i have assembly order to follow to get these boards done as they should be with minimum time, and semicoductors are stopping factor right now

hopefully it will resolve itself till the end of incomming week

Sebastian

59 out of 78 boards ordered has ram chips soldered in, tomorrow, if RL allows, i'll finnish with RAM and get to the xilinx chips

i've received only 51 RTC chips so far, and they are already on boards

i'm still waiting for emulation sockets, so all i could do was cut flat cables into apriopriate pieces

hopefully it will get finnished soon

i'm going to add PBI functionality for those of you, who have side cart and ultimate board - using them in combo will let you have fully functional pbi hard disk interface with apt support (thanks to FlashJazzCat)

for all of you who already have ultimate boards, there will be core provided you could programm using xilinx software

since this requires some tools and minimal knowledge on how to use i don't know how to proceed with this, but i wouldn't certainly let existing u1mb owners left behind

regarding the payments, there is only few people that have paid since last update - i'll prepare new list before i'll get to bed tomorrow

now all i need is some sleep

Sebastian

• Like 1

Ultimate 1 Meg is independant of the PBI and shouldn't affect it (I use it with IDE Plus 2 just fine). Of course if you have IDE +2 or SIDE then you only enable the relevant SpartaDos to reflect what interface your IDE device sits on.

U1Meg sits in the OS slot (replaces OS) and has a couple of connections to lines that the PBI shares as well as replacing the Atari's MMU chip.

Gary - Candle wrote a few posts back that he's going to add PBI emulation to Ultimate so that - in conjunction with a SIDE cart (presenting the hardware and IDE registers) - you get a true PBI hard disk interface. It banks in the ROM under the FP, etc. Obviously this would interfere with IDE+, etc, unless it could be turned on and off.

Gary - Candle wrote a few posts back that he's going to add PBI emulation to Ultimate so that - in conjunction with a SIDE cart (presenting the hardware and IDE registers) - you get a true PBI hard disk interface. It banks in the ROM under the FP, etc. Obviously this would interfere with IDE+, etc, unless it could be turned on and off.

or uses a different PBI ID?

sloopy.

(...)

for all of you who already have ultimate boards, there will be core provided you could programm using xilinx software

since this requires some tools and minimal knowledge on how to use i don't know how to proceed with this, but i wouldn't certainly let existing u1mb owners left behind

(...)

...Interesting... Just found out that my recently installed Ultimate1Mb is already obsolete... :?

Anyhow:

1. What "tools" (as you mentioned above) would be required? What's my shopping list?

2. What to we need to update / re-flash existing units in order to accomodate for other carts, and use board's assets to its full potential? What about future revisions of SDX, so they can be loaded? What about the upcoming GUI?

If enabling the above functionality requires addtional work/development & payment, that's fine with me. The board its worth it (in fact, and after some continuous use, I strongly recommend EVERY SINGLE USER of an 800XL to pretty much upgrade to Ultimate and discard all non-essential/redundant/ghetto-like upgrades).

The thing is I would definitely not like to have all that potential dormant, stuck-in-time and with no use...

AFAIK, JTAG cable and free software are all that's required to update to PBI functionality. I'm sure Candle will provide a very detailed description of the procedure when the time comes for those who wish to do the upgrade themselves.

Make no mistake - although hindsight is a wonderful thing - the PBI BIOS to accomplish this didn't exist until two weeks ago, and the concept itself came off the back of recent work done on Incognito, so nothing obsolete about existing Ultimate boards. Think of the new functionality as a superb BONUS feature. :)

SDX is flashed via ATR flasher, so no problem upgrading that. As for GUI... it would be the same, assuming there's anywhere to flash it to. :)

Now there is some talking about updates. I would really love the possibility to switch between basic and the other 8k rom.

I hope candle will built this feature in too.

And as long as I am thinking out loud...

Would it be possible to maken OSS cart compatible emulation so the 2x 8kb rom slots would contain one 16k OSS cart like Mac/65? That would be really awesome!

thanks

i've updated the list locally on my spreadsheet, but haven't uploaded it yet - i'll do that later this week - anyways don't worry, it's fixed

also - i've soldered all xilinx chips on pcbs, and i'm expecting rest of emulation socket connectors to be shipped tomorrow

what is left is ds1305 chips (more than half weren't shipped yet), and to solder idc20, idc10, midc10 and plcc32 socket plus some goldpin headers

after this (possibly with end of this week, i'll start testing the boards and hopefully shipping them out

i still need to integrate some of incognito board solutions into ultimate1mb code (pbi support) and have it firmly tested

all in all - lots of hard work ahead, but most of time consuming stuff is already done (xilinx took me 3 days to complete)

Now there is some talking about updates. I would really love the possibility to switch between basic and the other 8k rom.

I hope candle will built this feature in too.

And as long as I am thinking out loud...

Would it be possible to maken OSS cart compatible emulation so the 2x 8kb rom slots would contain one 16k OSS cart like Mac/65? That would be really awesome!

rom banking schemes are currently a bit overloaded, lots of multiplexing is going on there, so chances are slim, but i'll see about that

Hi Candle,

It would be nice if it's possible. Then we wouldn't make you do the Super Cart. ;)