IGNORED

Upgrades to a Commodore 128D

stephena

Some of you may have been following my requests for donations to the Stella project, where I mentioned that I'd like to receive a Commodore 128D. Well, thanks to contributions and getting a good deal, it looks like it's going to happen! I'll include more info when I get the machine, but for now I'm looking into expanding it a little.

Can anyone provide info on the expansion options available? I've heard you can get an SD card interface that lets you store disk images. Where can I get that??

I'm looking for any info you can provide, but in particular from C128 users who have actually done upgrades. Let me know of any gotcha's to avoid.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve A. (Stella maintainer)

Pics and a description are in that first link I provided. In the case of Jim's $59 uIEC/SD device (Deluxe Daughtercard option), he's got a pigtail with a cassette port connector that supplies the +5vcc power. You simply hook your serial cable (same cable you use to hook your 1541/1571/1581 drives) to it and in DOS, gets treated as a regular floppy drive.

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/uIEC

http://sd2iec.de/cgi...=README;hb=HEAD

I've got one of these and like it real well. I'd also recommend a JiffyDOS upgrade if you haven't done so already.

There's a few other more expensive SD Card options (upwards of $200), but I have no experience with 'em. I think Mirage has one of the nicer units. 1541 Ultimate, yeah that's it...

Had I known this, I would have never sold my C128D... :(

Nice find!

The biggest benefit to the 1541u series is that it is nearly 100% compatible with the 1541. That means that disk images that load their own DOS into the RAM on the 1541 will work. *Some* popular images have been fixed to work on the UIEC line of devices, but it is not near as compatible as the 1541u. This mainly affects games, so before you buy, make sure of what you want to run and the compatibility status of it.

The 1541u also emulates a number of utility cartridges as well as adding a RamBoard (extra drive ram), a RAM expansion to the machine itself, and JiffyDos (if your 128 is so equipped). The UIEC has JiffyDos support as well, but again, not as compatible with disk images. The final big thing that a lot of people like is that the 1541u II emulates 2 full drives, so it can be a bit easier to work with multi disk programs.

Personally, it was a no brainer for me to go with the 1541u line. I've actually bought 3 of them as the hardware has evolved. The downside to the 1541u, outside of cost, is that there is typically a wait of several months to get the device. That doesn't seem to be the case with the UIEC.

Other upgrades to consider are JiffyDos and something like the 128 MegaBit rom (http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=2645.0) to add to the internal socket (kinda like a built in cartridge). Since you have a 128d, it should already have the 64k vdc upgrade so you are good there.

I love my 1541-U-II, and if you can afford it, it's the way to go, IF you're really serious about the C64/128. If you're a dabbler, or it's just not worth the cost to you, I'm sure the Brain uIEC is fine -- I hear it's a superb device in it's own right. All comes down to the $ and what your level of demand is from such a device. 98PaceCar gave a great rundown of why the 1541-U-II is such a great value for the price though... you're talking about expansions and enhancements? All the important stuff is right there, built-in.

Edited by Mirage

• 7 months later...

I finally decided to go with a 1541-Ultimate, thanks to some generous donations from Stella users. Hopefully I'll be back in this thread in about 3 months (the time it will probably take to receive it) to talk about how well it works.

I've already picked up and installed JiffyDOS, so that's good to go. The only thing I need to do is install a switch to disable the internal drive, since it can cause some issues with the 1541-U. Thanks again for all the info.