IGNORED

XM and games at the homebrew coding weekend

GroovyBee

I'll be attending the homebrew coding/hardware event at the Lass O'Gowrie pub in Manchester (UK) this weekend 28/29 January with my 7800, XM and CC2.

Hopefully I'll get time to put together some longer YM2151 audio demonstrations tomorrow. I need to modify the YM data player so it can bank switch and then feed some YM2151 tracks through the converter.

There will also be homebrewers from the Atari, C64, Speccy, Beeb scenes (probably others too).

New YM2151 tunes aren't going to plan :(. The YM2151 driver has been converted to play bank switched tunes and it appears to work fine. The PC data converter had to be changed to output assembler in 16K segments so that I can make a 128K ROM but its got a bug causing corrupted output in the 100K input files I'm using (probably something in the original PC file format I'm not supporting correctly). Whatever it is I don't have the time to track it down now :(.

I had a good time yesterday. I didn't get to show the XM for very long because I spent quite a while talking to other developers about our current and upcoming projects.

Look out for a piece on the XM over at Flashback Games (nothing to do with Curt's Legacy Engineering Group).

The effect demo got a good response. When I've completed more of my current XM games I'll advance it into a complete game.

The event was low key so the XM's "old" YM2151 demo could be heard without any background distraction.

The best part of the day was seeing a 7800 collector with a copy of my game Worm! in their collection. It just goes to show its a big planet but a small world.

• Like 1

It was good to have technical chats with other developers as well as talking games and consoles. You see quite a few regular faces at these events.

I'm not sure if there is a central list. The next UK retro event I know of is GEEK2012 in Margate, Kent. It has a 48 hour game programming contest (which initially interested me) but I don't think I'll be going to that one. After that its AC2012 in France in April.

I'm not too up on the UK scene to be honest. For the coder type events I've attended I was sent a personal invite.