IGNORED

Moon Patrol and Jungle Hunt file version sound issues

Gunstar

Are there any file versions of these games that don't have the sound issues; music screwed up on Moon Patrol and sound-turn-static on Jungle Hunt boulder scene?

As I recall, this isn't and 800 OS only problem since the cartridges used to work fine on my 130XE when I had them.

With Jungle Hunt, the bad version seems to have some zeros where the sound data should be which messes up the volcano level.

Moon Patrol I think there's a good one around. Problem with that one I think is that SKCTL isn't initialized properly which messes up the sound.

I've got a good Moon Patrol but it's on real floppy and all that stuff's packed away.

Are these carts that have the bad sound? I played Jungle Hunt and Moon Patrol on my 800XL just to see and both sound fine. I found a youtube video of Jungle Hunt with the hissing noise in the boulder scene but my cart doesn't have this issue. Is it bad carts? Combination of certain hardware that causes this?

No, the cartridges are all fine, this problem occurs with some cartridge rom images that have been turned into files loaded through DOS.

IIRC the moon patrol with the wrong sound is OS B version, but I might remember this wrong.

did you already found a good one?

The last time I played moon patrol was a file version on a 130XE and it had the sound issue, but, I had the actual cartridge at one time and it played fine on that same 130XE. The file version I have had has the same sound issue on my 1200XL with the XL/XE OS chip. I don't think I tried it on the 1200XL OS before I upgraded.

In any case, I have another 1200XL with the 32-in-1 Warp OS and once I get it fixed I'll try out these game files with the corrupt sound issues on all the OS's to see if it's OS issues or just rom image to file conversion issues. I'm going to buy the original cartridge versions of MP and JH as soon as I can anyway.

Edited by Gunstar

Change one digit in this jungle hunt xex string and it'll mostly fix the boulder sound.

31F0: B3 4B B3 6A B3 89 B3 E0 (BF) 9D B3 C5 B3 31 B2 53

31F0: B3 4B B3 6A B3 89 B3 E0 (BE) 9D B3 C5 B3 31 B2 53

Very cool. That does make it a lot better. Still not 100%, but much better than that white noise. I messed around with the file a bit myself, but I was not able to make any improvements. Nice work, slampam!

• 5 months later...

Were playing Crystal Castles in the HSC - the file versions of the 1988 'XE' release also has corrupted sound (no gem sound or a fart noise if you power up the 1050 again after loading & subdued tunes) - is there a fixed version out there? The 1984 version sounds much better ;)