IGNORED

Release of Mighty Jill Off (rc6)

Creature XL

Hello all,

I planned on releasing the final version of Mighty Jill Off (MJO) for Xmas 2011. I failed :)

Then I stated that I HAVE to release it at the end of January. Well, I failed again :)

Although, it is kinda ready. There is one annoying flicker of the screen, which I couldn't track down.

Further, all of a sudden the gfx for the counter in the torture room get messed up. It doesn't hinder game play.

Some numbers get displayed correctly. Additionally there are some probs with the soft-sprites, but they aren't major if you play the game normally :)

Lastly, I added a progress bar. If you finish under 30 minutes, you get the progress bar "Type 1" and you beat it under 16 minutes

you get "Type 2". It seems so that you always get "Type 1" :( When I manipulate the counters for testing, it works! but not if you play the game thru.

These bugs get fixed at some point. But just not in the next months. If someone can reproduce the flicker bug I am all ears :)

Just after making the ATR for RC6 I spotted a problem. If you use the ATR with PicoDos, you get no RMT-sound in the game, only my Death-Sound using my own routine.

If you use the XEX you might have trouble loading it on the real machine.

The ATR loads only successfully when I use "High-Speed" in the PicoDos menu!

This release wasn't tested on a real 1050 (by me), only with Aspeqt.

I hope you have fun with the game in the current state. Post your hi-score picture here if you want. I had beaten it in 10:58 and

In closing, many thanks to therealbountybob for testing all the RCs.

MJO_rc6.atr

mjo.xex

• Like 4

Hmm,

did some of the above reported bugs ( a) annoying screen flicker, b) messed up gfx for the counter in the torture room, c) some problems with soft sprites) also appear in the older version released here:

http://www.atariage....ost__p__2399782

?!? If not, maybe some of the added (G2F?) pics do cause these bugs or the used packer/depacker...?!? (Tried to pack the new release with Superpacker/Exomizer and Code3Cruncher, but the game did not get much shorter, so I guess it is already packed.)

Besides, what changes were made to the game (not counting the logo, loading screen and intro screens, only the game)...?!? I can see that the skulls have been replaced with fire, you mention that a progress bar and a death sound has been added, what else has been changed in or added to the game ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Besides, what changes were made to the game (not counting the logo, loading screen and intro screens, only the game)...?!? I can see that the skulls have been replaced with fire, what else has been changed in the game ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

Serious? The moving heads and animated fire for starters.

And adding the pictures was a nightmare, you reckon that the whole 40k load in one go? To appreciate the awesomeness: the title picture uses 20Kb of RAM when displayed :P

The Torture room is added (its close to the end, so no hard feelings if you haven't seen it yet :)

And as said, the progress bar if you beat it under 30 minutes.

subtle change, the collision detection is now more to the original. You have one pixel of grace to each side. At least in one place its REALLY useful to gain time if you can handle it :)

Besides, what changes were made to the game (not counting the logo, loading screen and intro screens, only the game)...?!? I can see that the skulls have been replaced with fire, what else has been changed in the game ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

Serious? The moving heads and animated fire for starters.

And adding the pictures was a nightmare, you reckon that the whole 40k load in one go? To appreciate the awesomeness: the title picture uses 20Kb of RAM when displayed :P

The Torture room is added (its close to the end, so no hard feelings if you haven't seen it yet :)

And as said, the progress bar if you beat it under 30 minutes.

subtle change, the collision detection is now more to the original. You have one pixel of grace to each side. At least in one place its REALLY useful to gain time if you can handle it :)

Well,

I did edit the post above after dinner and did not notice you had already answered. Anyways, regarding the animated fire, thats what I meant with "skulls have been replaced by fire". I know that the title pic is 20k in size, since I packed the old MJO version (length of title pic afterwards was 8k with Flashpacker, with Exomizer or DjPacker even shorter)... and I already spoke to you at Abbuc JHV in October...

Think I also noticed the new collision detection, since I now die more often than before !! And I hate this..., not forgetting to say that I did not get very far in the old version... but of course I know there are other Atarians much better in gameplay than me...;-)

Last not least, the many pics are really nice and they are drawn very good (congrats Exin!), especially if you load the game for the first time. But as always, if you play the game more often, you sooner or later wish, you simply could start the game immediately without any intros (six pictures if you count from the morons logo until the start of the game). Maybe it is possible to add some code, e.g. if someone presses a certain key or key-combination at "bootup-time", then only the game will be loaded and no (picture-) intros will load or show up... just a thought...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I must say: I really like this game! It's fun, looks really good and it's addictive.

Very good job!

One thing: it would be great if the cool start graphics could be interrupted from the very beginning. I love the GFX but after 3 or 4 times loading I want to start with the game as soon as possible :D

But again: GREAT game. I think I will enjoy it for a long time (at this moment I suck playing it!)

Greetz

M.

Maybe it is possible to add some code, e.g. if someone presses a certain key or key-combination at "bootup-time", then only the game will be loaded and no (picture-) intros will load or show up... just a thought...

-Andreas Koch.

You could try to press the fire button on your joystick for a start as soon as the title pic appears :)

As the morons-Intro is just slapped-on you could just remove the first 2 +INIT segments from the binary. I intentionally didn't implemented an option to skip the Morons-Intro ;) I love these deep 30Hz beat tones and I want you all to enjoy them too :P

BTW, the game and all pics are now packed with gzip and depacked using the inflate for 6502 routines.

Oh and yes, I am curious what Dietrich gets as best time.

salut,

crt xl

Edited by Creature XL

I must say: I really like this game! It's fun, looks really good and it's addictive.

Very good job!

One thing: it would be great if the cool start graphics could be interrupted from the very beginning. I love the GFX but after 3 or 4 times loading I want to start with the game as soon as possible :D

But again: GREAT game. I think I will enjoy it for a long time (at this moment I suck playing it!)

Greetz

M.

Nice to hear you like it. Regarding skipping the pics, please read my answer above.

Could you notify me, when you beat the game under 30minutes but over 16 minutes? You should get the progress bar which only indicates the highest point you reached in the current run. When you beat it under 16 (or 15) minutes you should get the bar which indicates additionally the position you were at in your best run (under 16 minutes) so far.

To be honest watching the pics go by is a nice build up to the game - it takes a relatively long time for a play so this is a small amount of time overall and gives you chance to get comfy and dim the lights, as there's no pause so it's all or nothing ;-) I had 11:08 not 11:03 but will play some more - I will be running this in the HSC at some point this season along with some other new releases ;-)

The game is easier than the original version now re controls and some of the trickier platform positions, but this should make it more playable (and completable) by more atarians :) The 'expert' players still have the goal of improved times and I can guess that it will come down to a couple of seconds here and there and looking for the optimal routes / minimising jump height etc

Superb fluid game with a great tune 10/10 :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

I totally missed this update of MJO! The moving skulls and the torture chamber make the game more interesting and challenging.

the collision detection is now more to the original. You have one pixel of grace to each side. At least in one place its REALLY useful to gain time if you can handle it

INDEED! The difficult place in the first spike level is now much easier.

If you use the XEX you might have trouble loading it on the real machine

I recommend to remove the loading screen from the XEX, since its VBI and DLIs disturbs highspeed loading and some loaders even fail to load MJO with normal speed. This makes MJO 9 KB shorter and it works with every loader.

Further, all of a sudden the gfx for the counter in the torture room get messed up.

Unfortunately the character table for the counter crosses a page boundary, but the code at $2156 assumes, it does not. To correct this bug, append the following bugfix to mjo.xex:

EDIT: File upload in this forum does not work on my PC. So here is the contents of the bugfix in hex:

FF FF 90 01 B4 01 A0 03 B9 A4 01 99 63 21 B9 A8

01 99 73 21 88 10 F1 4C 15 13 69 00 85 CD 20 AC

01 EA 85 CE A9 24 69 00 85 CF 60 8C 06 8E 06 4C

90 01

Edited by StefanD

Thanks for the hint. ATM I am busy with final version of HAR'em.

After that I wantedto fix a bug in MJO I discovered while reusing code from MJO.

Will relocate the char data as well then.

Edit: I wanted that game to be old school, so I am not sure if I will remove the loading screen.

I even implemented a minimum of 3 secondswaiting, so emulator users can see it.

But it is true, it has some issues loading on some configurations.

Edited by Creature XL

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a version to run on Atari 65XE?

the 65XE was functionally equivalent to the 800XL

Why shouldn't it work?

It could have problems with NTSC machines.

These COULD be gone if I apply the fix to my library I discovered while coding HAR'em.

BTW, i played MJO just today on my Pandora and finished it in 11:35. In the next try I should have gotten the progress bar with a marker shoing my progress in the last round. However, I did not get it. So there seems to be (hard to test) bug left.

The gfx glitch at the end of the "black area" won't be fixed as it is too minor.

MJO RC7 or "final" will be out soon. One more week for HAR'em "final"...

• Like 1

Why shouldn't it work?

It could have problems with NTSC machines.

I using mjo.xex from this topic - convert in to cas then to wav. First logo animation work like it should be, but then when girl screen should appear with "loading" sign it`s flickers the screen and logo start looking wiers (without black color) and loading continues without girl screen. After loading nothing happens. Tried many times with different version of MJO but with same resul :(

I have no idea why you convert it to CAS and WAV. I have never done that. That's why I have absolutly no idea why it does not load MJO. However, it might be possible segmented-COM-files are not supported when laoding WAV files? Finally, during the loadin gprocess teh OS is disabled temporarily. Does the loader you are using cope with this?

I have no idea why you convert it to CAS and WAV. I have never done that. That's why I have absolutly no idea why it does not load MJO. However, it might be possible segmented-COM-files are not supported when laoding WAV files? Finally, during the loadin gprocess teh OS is disabled temporarily. Does the loader you are using cope with this?

Sorry but I`m complete noob with this and don`t really know how loadings really works on machine.

I just managed to convert XEX to CAS and then to WAV to able load games trough tape data recorder.

I assume you have no Sio2Pc or some other cable to bring files from the Internet to the Atari. :(

It's really a pitty that I can't help you out here. Last time I used tape recorder for my 800XL was over 20 years ago ;)

In the next week (or two) I wanted to make a little update to MJO - as said above.

Will try to make XEX with just the game (without Intro and pics). Fo rnow that is the only I can think of. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

Though, you really should think about buying/building a SIO2PC cable or buying an SD-Card device.:)

Sorry but I`m complete noob with this and don`t really know how loadings really works on machine.

I just managed to convert XEX to CAS and then to WAV to able load games trough tape data recorder.

Hi Bubeloid, Is your setup a 65XE and a cassette deck only? No disk drives or SIO2PC etc? - if so, do you want any old tapes? I have a load filed away (and I'm sure others do too) :)

Yes if you can afford it buy a disk drive, perhaps an Atarian near you can help you out with this? OR one of the SIO2PC/USB APE to link to the PC. Checkout Philsan's Topic For Newbies too ;)

p.s. Looking forward to MJO rc7 :D

I assume you have no Sio2Pc or some other cable to bring files from the Internet to the Atari. :(

It's really a pitty that I can't help you out here. Last time I used tape recorder for my 800XL was over 20 years ago ;)

In the next week (or two) I wanted to make a little update to MJO - as said above.

Will try to make XEX with just the game (without Intro and pics). Fo rnow that is the only I can think of. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

Though, you really should think about buying/building a SIO2PC cable or buying an SD-Card device. :)

Some day I will, but for now I`m enjoying long loading time ;) Even bought 25 new tapes to make a replicas of my favourite games.

As for MJO - could you not cut the image with girl from loading? It`s real eyecandy and as artist I`m enjoying pixel art a lot.

Hi Bubeloid, Is your setup a 65XE and a cassette deck only? No disk drives or SIO2PC etc? - if so, do you want any old tapes? I have a load filed away (and I'm sure others do too) :)

Yes if you can afford it buy a disk drive, perhaps an Atarian near you can help you out with this? OR one of the SIO2PC/USB APE to link to the PC. Checkout Philsan's Topic For Newbies too ;)

I`d love to have a disk drive to keep my setup old school as possible, maybe i`ll get one. Maybe I`ll get SIO2PS or SD card one when i`ll be tired of 5-15 minutes of loading. Thank you for your concern.

But I`m living in russia and there is not much atarians around here - it`s second homeland of Zx-Spectrum it`s still very popular and lives but not in my area. People are not respect retro computers or video game consoles anymore.

By the way - what games you have on tapes? :P

I hope it will help with creating a cassette compatible version - at time when logo comes out the motor stops and then start after logo animation are showed after that motor starts spinning again but record from this point does not have a long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep - it`s basically stopped in the middle of loading and then computer does not catch up the rest of the program.

Ages ago I did last code on tape. If my memories are correct, then you have to do some different things as for disc. Remember hard about a must to jump through CASINI when you want to load another part of code. I'm pretty sure the converting programme ignores the merged parts of disc version. Can you send us your pre wav file please. Maybe it's just a small patch for it to load correct.