IGNORED

Security Bits for Your Consoles?

SlowCoder

I was wondering if anyone here has this toolkit?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2208628921631?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220862892163&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I am interested in getting a fair quality security tool set, mostly for use with my gaming systems. Nintendo consoles being the main need. This kit seems to have the tri-wing bits that are needed to work with GameCube and Wii systems, along with other bits I'd find useful.

What I can't tell is if this kit has the needed Super Nintendo bits (3.8 and 4.5mm security bits), because I don't know the real name of the bits, and the pictures don't show enough detail.

Opinions and alternate options are requested.

Too bad they don't list what system's they'll work with.

I've seen many of the security screws types on random things, not necessarily game related, over my life. The only ones I've seen on a game machine are the tri-wing for GameCube, and the "security bit" for the N64 and Wii. I wish I knew the name of the "security bit" so I could look for it more effectively. I know it's used on things besides game systems.

They're often called "Gamebits" of 3.8mm and 4.5mm size, but iFixit says they're actually a "3.6mm Line Head Screw" or "4.6mm Line Head Screw", respectively.

Unfortunately they want $24.95 each for their Gamebits Line Head Screw screwdrivers. Having said that, I bought a cheapie Gamebit from Trade-N-Games a while back that didn't work at all -- I couldn't open a single Genesis cart with it -- so maybe it's worth going for something higher-end.

I spent some time looking for a set of security bits, and found several, but only one set that contained the game bits (4.5) for Sega carts and (3.8) for NES/SNES/N64, which was at Microcenter (a "computer" store that carries other consumer electronics).  Quality was OK.  They also sold an individual 4.5 bit, 3.8 bit, and tri-wing screwdriver (for the later Nintendo stuff) for under $5 each.  I know you can find them online for that price or less, but can't speak for the quality.  I've also seen these bits for sale at a couple of game stores here and there, but never at a hardware store.  You should be able to get really good quality for less than ten bucks per bit; more than that and you're getting ripped off, in my opinion...................................................................... edit !!! FRIGGIN' EMOTICONS !!!  I Hate 'em.  Cant even enter 3.8 with a paren !!!

Edited by fiddlepaddle

The Pro's Kit 30 in 1 Video Game Screwdriver Set (SD-9313) is what you should be looking for. I got one and it is clearly worth the $30 I paid for it.

I got that, and it does have the two essential game bits, and three tri-wing bits, but I found it doesn't fit when the screw is recessed (like on the Virtual Boy) because the extender sleeve that holds the bits is too big. I haven't found a use for anything else it contains, and my regular tri-wing screwdriver fits in the recessed areas also. If I had it to do over, I'd just buy the two game bits and a tri-wing screwdriver for less than half the price.

I got that, and it does have the two essential game bits, and three tri-wing bits, but I found it doesn't fit when the screw is recessed (like on the Virtual Boy) because the extender sleeve that holds the bits is too big.

One solution to that would be to dremel a slot in the bit, and use a flathead screwdriver.

• Like 1

They're often called "Gamebits" of 3.8mm and 4.5mm size, but iFixit says they're actually a "3.6mm Line Head Screw" or "4.6mm Line Head Screw", respectively.

Yes, I've heard them called GameBits. Thank you for the more appropriate name. :)

The set of GameBits I have are cheapies, too. They look it. But I haven't had them strip on me, and I've opened plenty of systems with them.

Most game bits on Ebay are of poor to borderline acceptable quality IMO. I bought a pair of 3.8mm and 4.5mm bits on eBay from a seller who's name I can’t recall (I remember he had a squirrel holding a nut as an avatar though) and they barely work.

I retuned them once thinking that the first pair was defective but the replacement is just as crappy. Needless to say that I too am still looking for a quality pair of game bits...

• 6 months later...

i managed to find a nice set of gamebits, but heres the thing. i'm after a set now. now that i have seen that there is a nice individual line head screwdriver out there, i am thinking about going for the gusto and getting a complete set with the whole sha-bang in it. i'm needing a reputable set that has triwing and extra long line head set with 3.6 mm and 4.6 mm. it needs to work on my virtual boy.

it will be a good deal for me, since i have the 4.6 mm / 3.6 mm already, but i'll be giving those to a buddy of mine who only uses those solely. well actually letting him have them for the same cost i paid for them. i only used them once.

any ways after i turn them over to him, i'll need a good source for a complete set with tri-wings and everything.

i've got two on my radar so far, but need to weigh the options with what you guys have already tried.

I picked up a set of bits from Happ Controls a while back that were great. Alas I believe my buddies wife may have thrown them out the night I left them over at his house. It was just the bits, no screw drivers and all that, but they were all well made and worked great. I'm sure I'll end up ordering another set soon enough.

i've heard of women calling men a tool, but this is the first that i heard of a woman throwing tools out in the garbage. what a bummer...

not sure happ's are long enough for the VB, the photo that i pulled up from a quick research reveals that they are the same cheap ones sold on mcm and later resold for a mark up on ebay. well, i'm specifically chatting about the 4.6 mm line head and 3.5 mm linehead.

those are the necessary insert bits that the kit must have for my dream tool set to be just right. ;)

I'm not sure about VB stuff. I like the console, I own the console, but I don't get into it much. Its a litteral pain in the neck to play.

I got those bits for free when I placed a large order to build 2 MAME machines for some friends. They were instantly handy as I needed them to remove parts from the machines I was working on. I don't do much work on home consoles so I can't speak to that. I have become very interested in working on arcades and keeping these machines alive. The information to do this seems well protected and hard to find, not to mention very technical. I have looked into going back to school for electric engineering just for this, but the cost is just too high at this time. Maybe one day.

i trolled the links in this thread, thus far i looked at the Pro's Kit 30 in 1 Video Game Screwdriver Set (SD-9313) which doesn't have the longer line head that i need for the VB. i even looked at the cpos on ebay, but no joy.

VB is an acquired taste, and even thou I love my Atari gear I still manage to find time to tear down and fix a few VB’s for myself and friends. Having the right set of tools around is not a must, but rather a necessity.

Arcade machines are my next step as well. I find them fascinating and mysterious. Going back to school to learn them isn’t that challenging since most of them use early digital and common place analog components and circuitry. Try looking up some online schools, there is a shit-ton to select from and price are fairly reasonable.

My buddy is expecting to have my current set of line heads in his hand shortly, so im running out of time on the perfect video game security set to buy.