IGNORED

Android Handheld Systems

Reaperman

I don't know anything about android except than I'm not a 'smartphone person.' Lately I've been seeing inexpensive little android game systems like this one and am wondering how it all works and what I should be looking out for when selecting a unit.

Raft of questions:

Does anybody have a similar device and do they work well?

How does button support work? Do they map to the screen?

This is an android 2.3 device--is that good or bad?

How will I get games onto this device? I'm assuming phone networks have handy app stores, and this unit probably won't.

What can I look forward to as far as functionality and games that will really blow my socks off? (I have angry birds on my psp and think it's awful)

Are there any stellar 4x strategy, turn-based squad strategy, space trading/combat, or sim-ish racing games to look forward to?

Edited by Reaperman

Most games wont use the buttons. The buttons are basically coded for kayboard buttons on all of these I have seen. Some games allow you to use them, but not a ton. The best thing with the buttons are emulators. Most of them allow keyboard keys to be used for the buttons on the controller. So you could use them there and be happy with that. Some andriod games do have hardware button support, but many use touch screen controls.

That said the right device can run PS1 and N64 roms. If you get something with good enough hardware Android is already playing those games with amazing success. I run NES, SNES, 2600, 7800, SMS, Gen, and a good chunk of MAME on my android phone right now with a PS3 controller hooked up through blue tooth.

It runs Android 2.3, so it should have the app store on it. You would need to get on it via WiFi. The great thing about droid is the app store is from Google, not the mobile provider.

Android 2.3 is the best you could hope for on this device right now. 3.0 would be better, but that is only running on tabs right now that I know of. 2.3 is good enough for sure.

The long and short of it is this is an emulation device.

The long and short of it is this is an emulation device.

That's probably a bit of a show-stopper for me then. I don't really like emulation, and in my head, I was hoping to run all the hottest new android games with it as an alternative to 3ds or vita. I figured that there was a far better chance of finding games in genres I enjoy on a device like this rather than the traditional handhelds. It should be able to run the Onlive app, though--I wonder if something like that would have support for the buttons/keyboard.

It doesn't seem like there are a lot of reviews of this product around yet, but it's got enough of my attention that I'll check out a few before writing it off totally. Looking farther, I also don't see bluetooth on it's feature list, meaning that using my ps3 controller to 'consolize' it is out. That's a feature I would like to have.

What I'd really like to see is a fully fleshed-out and competitive android game system fighting for my dollars.

Edited by Reaperman

The Mali 400 chip is very capable of showing 3D titles.

But I'm not sure of the CPU.

I'm using - the best Android phone yet - Samsung Galaxy Note, which uses a dual core 1.4MHz CPU and all games run fluent.... Even GTA3 with full settings.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/192066-c64-of-today/

But most games were done for systems with lesser specs than the handheld you linked to.

I hate these devices. Can't those chinese come up with a own unique design? Why do they have to copy everything?

Things were easy. Find people in your own country working for that cheap money as they did in China. Except you want people to pay 4x the price of what it costs...

Later on , don't get wondering, no one is buying the stuff....

And, btw. Apple is one of the biggest copiers . Most designs of their "new" products have been stolen from a german designer. Apple claims them as typically technical designs. So where is the difference, when Chinese use "typical technical designs" and put available eletronics in it?

I hate these devices. Can't those chinese come up with a own unique design? Why do they have to copy everything?

They did, but it's too large for my needs. (link)

This is something i like.

I just get tired of seeing the same clone of what-ever again and again. I don't mind that they bring stuff on the market for cheap, but i hate it when they just copy a design and sometimes even print the logo on the case as if it was the real deal. Like those cheap htc desire clones that have htc written all over them. Even the box is a one on one clone. If you buy this online and the seller says it's second hand people could be fooled in buying a cheap clone for to much money that isn't working good. If you make a phone with extra's like a dual sim, you don't need to copy the design from a other company. If it's a good product it will sell.