IGNORED

Stella 3.5.5 released

stephena

OK, this is a quick release before I start on the major surgery of adding Blargg filters and the remaining esoteric controllers for 3.6. Most of the items mentioned in the 3.5 release thread are addressed here. Changelog is as follows:

* Due to changes in the debugger, old state files will not work with this release.

* Fixed bug in sound restructuring introduced in the last release; in some cases, there could be some sound 'crackling' when starting a ROM after at least one ROM had already been loaded.

* Several significant improvements to the debugger I/O tab:

- added controller input widgets for many of the built-in controllers, allowing to control joysticks, paddles, etc from within the debugger.

- added ability to modify the SWCHB/SWBCNT port B registers.

- added ability to view TIA INPTx and VBLANK latch/dump bits.

* Reworked 'mcontrol' argument, and added ability to map the mouse axes separately for paddles 0-3 or driving controllers 0-1. In such modes, the left mouse button is tied to the x-axis, and the right button is tied to the y-axis.

* Mouse 'specific-axis' mode is now saved per-ROM, meaning that each ROM can have separate settings. For example, this allows one ROM to use paddles 0 and 1, while another can use paddles 0 and 2, etc.

* The key-combo for switching the mouse between controller modes is now 'Control-0' (Control-1,2,3 have been removed). This switches between all possible modes for the current virtual controllers.

* Fixed bug in 'Fixed Debug Colors' mode; under certain circumstances, playfield graphics could be coloured as being player graphics.

* Fixed bug in PAL color-loss setting in Video Settings; changing the settings wouldn't take effect until the ROM was reloaded.

* Fixed bugs with cheatcode handling; loading a ROM with a cheat disabled would sometimes trash the emulation. More work is required in this area, including the ability to create more advanced types of cheats.

* Updated ROM properties database for all Sega Genesis controller compatible ROMs. Also, the mouse can now emulate a Genesis controller, with the left/right buttons mapped to buttons B and C, respectively.

* Added 'FA2' bankswitch scheme, thanks to code from Chris D. Walton. This scheme will be used in an upcoming 'Star Castle' ROM.

* Updated internal ROM properties database to ROM-Hunter version 7 (thanks go to RomHunter for his tireless research in this area).

* Added several PERL tools to help in automation of analyzing RomHunter ROM set releases.

* Fixed compile issues in Irix when using the default compiler instead of gcc. Thanks go to Rainer M. Canavan for this code.

* Updated included PNG library to latest stable version.

As usual, Stella can be downloaded from the Stella webpage. Feedback and bug reports can be done through this thread or by email.

On a slightly related note, the DonationWare option has been good. I've received several gifts, as well as a good price on a nice Commodore 128D, which I've since purchased. Look for a webpage on that one sometime soon, where I'll showcase my systems. Thanks again for all the support!

• Like 3

Thank you very much for your hard work Stephen.

I prefer the old flat Atari logo icon instead of the new 3d one. Is it possible to select the old one?

Not easily from within the application itself, as it's compiled in. I assume you're using Windows? If so, you may be able to change the icon by right-clicking and selecting a new image. Attached is the old icon in PNG format.

post-1512-0-80356000-1328471122.png

For the Mac OS Intel binary, you might want to add Lion to the list of supported operating systems. It's not Snow Leopard only.

Thanks for the info. I didn't feel comfortable stating Lion, since I haven't actually tested it there yet.

Thank you very much for your hard work Stephen.

I prefer the old flat Atari logo icon instead of the new 3d one. Is it possible to select the old one?

Not easily from within the application itself, as it's compiled in. I assume you're using Windows? If so, you may be able to change the icon by right-clicking and selecting a new image. Attached is the old icon in PNG format.

post-1512-0-80356000-1328471122.png

Thank you very much for the icon Stephen.

It's not that I don't like your new 3d icon but near all other desktop flat icons the result isn't very good.

Perhaps it's just too rotated.

For the Mac OS Intel binary, you might want to add Lion to the list of supported operating systems. It's not Snow Leopard only.

Thanks for the info. I didn't feel comfortable stating Lion, since I haven't actually tested it there yet.

While I haven't done anything with the debugger, I've played A LOT of games using Stella on Lion. I think it's pretty safe to say it works.

Stephen, as always thank you for the excellent work :)

/signed

BTW: For development, it would be helpful being able to test various console type incompatibilities. I know there are quite a lot of very subtle differences. But e.g. the 7800 pause key should be rather easy to emulate.

I'm straight up. I do not like the new icon, it's out of place with most everything else.

But thanks for the .png graphic, save me from having to rip the old one out.

I think I may revert it for the next release. That icon is used on all other platforms, so I figured to make it consistent and put it in Windows as well. But I agree that it doesn't look as nice in Windows as on other systems. It looks particularly nice in OSX and Linux, though. It might be an issue of how Windows scales icons??