IGNORED

Let's Talk Burgertime (Burgertime Appreciation)

I thought i'd start a thread to praise the great game of Burgertime and maybe get a couple odd questions answered.

I'm a big fan of Burgertime. It is my favorite game of all time. I may not be the best but i love it. I own quite a few versions of it. Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 7800 (Beef Drop), Nes, PS1 (Arcade port), GB (Burgertime Deluxe), GBC (Burgertime in Bedrock). I am not completely obsessed with the game since i do love other games as well.

And i am not out to collect every version in the world but i do like to pick up different versions every once in a while. I would love to own the actual arcade cabinet.

Ok maybe i am slightly obsessed since i do have a Burgertime Clock coming in the mail. lol

And a few other Burgertime related items that i will do a video of and post them here when i get them.

Isn't that sweet looking? :)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3704274464781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370427446478&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Ok down to the questions. I noticed there is a PS2 version of Burgertime only released in Japan as seen here eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2708924665231?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270892466523&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I am real curious to know if it is the same exact port as the one they released on the PS1 (Arcade's Greatest Hits Midway Collection 2). Especially control wise. The controls for the PS1 version was horrid. Just as bad as the Nes version which has awful ladder/level detection where you have to be right on the mark or your screwed. I wonder if that PS2 version has Analog support. The PS1 does not. I also tried using the PS1 Arcade Stick as well the Nes Advantage on that port and neither helped.

On a side note i thought the controls were not that much better on the Mame version i tried once. But that was some time ago. Plus i was using a real old Side Winder controller i bought somewhere around 2000 or 2001. The Dpad is not good on it at all.

So another question i have is, how well does the actual arcade control compared to the home ports? I have never had the chance to play the actual arcade machine. How is the ladder/level detection? I know from experience that the Intellivision, Colecovision and even Beef Drop have super smooth controls with no ladder detection problems whatsoever. Are the Arcade controls just as smooth or did they improve on the controls when they ported them to consoles? And maybe i shouldn't be comparing the Mame controls to the real thing?

Yes i know i'm long winded. :-D

Here is a comparison video i did comparing the 2600, Colecovision, Nes, PS1, 7800 and Intellivision versions.

This was version 2 where i edited in Beef Drop and the PS1 versions. So that will explain why towards the beginning of the video why i say i don't own Beef Drop yet. Or why i didn't mention it again at the end.

So what is my favorite version? It's really tough to say. I usually lean towards the Intellivision version since that's the version i grew up with. I started to really love the Colecovision version. Almost so much i almost made it my new favorite. If it wasn't for that stupid glitch that can restart your game. That kind of frustrated me. If only it can be re-released someday without it. I really like that on Level 6 which would be Level 7 on the INTV, there are more ways out of those death trap ledges. There is also another level that is more forgiving with more escape routes

Now i have mixed feeling on Beef Drop. Maybe it was just me, maybe i was having an off day, but i found it harder then both the INTV and Coleco versions. Maybe i need to play it more. But the 4 added levels are a huge huge plus. I think i may have forgotten to mention that in my video.

Dude, do you have a Wii? There is Burgertime on the data east compilation.

I guess you know what you can get me for my birthday, a Wii + Burgertime. :-D

Damn my birthday isn't until August. :mad:

I wish this Data east compilation came out for the PS2 also, i have pretty much every compilation that came out on the PS2. It just belongs with the others!

Are the Arcade controls just as smooth or did they improve on the controls when they ported them to consoles? And maybe i shouldn't be comparing the Mame controls to the real thing?

Yes i know i'm long winded.

In theory the MAME version should be just like the arcade, considering it's the code dumped right from the original ROMs.

If there is any problem in MAME then I'm sure it has to do with the type of controller you're using. Lots of old arcade games used 4-way joysticks in the original cabinets. Burgertime would be an example, because there is no use for diagonals in the control scheme. Most all d-pads and generic joysticks are 8-way devices, so they can cause unpredictable controls when used with games designed with 4-ways in mind. Reason being, the game code doesn't know what to do when it receives two simultaneous inputs (say, up and left when you accidentally hit a diagonal).

I have a dedicated 4-way stick on my MAME cabinet and BT plays like a champ. One of my faves for sure.

Are the Arcade controls just as smooth or did they improve on the controls when they ported them to consoles? And maybe i shouldn't be comparing the Mame controls to the real thing?

Yes i know i'm long winded.

In theory the MAME version should be just like the arcade, considering it's the code dumped right from the original ROMs.

If there is any problem in MAME then I'm sure it has to do with the type of controller you're using. Lots of old arcade games used 4-way joysticks in the original cabinets. Burgertime would be an example, because there is no use for diagonals in the control scheme. Most all d-pads and generic joysticks are 8-way devices, so they can cause unpredictable controls when used with games designed with 4-ways in mind. Reason being, the game code doesn't know what to do when it receives two simultaneous inputs (say, up and left when you accidentally hit a diagonal).

I have a dedicated 4-way stick on my MAME cabinet and BT plays like a champ. One of my faves for sure.

Thanks for the response. That helps clear things up. On the Colecovision and Intellivision you can hit the diagonals without it causing a problem, but maybe it was programmed that way to suit the controller.

I happen to be a Burgertime Pro. Used to play it constantly in the arcades in the '80's and I have it on my 60 in 1 multicade today. As Cynicaster said, the controls on the 60 in 1 are smooth as can be. The only other version I have is on my Coleco Vision and the controls seem comparable. I also play it on MAME from time to time when I can't get to the multicade and the controls are a bit harder to use, but I am currently using a modified USB NES Control Pad for most of my MAMEing. So this would back up Cynicaster's statement about D pads.

Revolutinika: Wow! Good Burger???!!! For Real??? Haven't thought of that movie since I was 20 years old. What a piece of shit! I still want my money back!

I really like Burgertime also, even though I am terrible at it. I have only played the it on mame, colecovision and nes so far, but out of those the colecovision is my favorite. I am hoping that with more practice I can actually see past the 3rd screen, lol.

edit: I also don't have a 4-way joystick for mame, that would help I am sure.

Level three is pretty tough, but once you figure out the pattern to get out of the beginning it's not so bad. Four is a lot of fun and not as hard. You can scoe MAD points on level five if you know what you are doing (and you should by this point in the game), but level six is hard as hell! I can beat level six if I have enough peppers but if I only have one or two left...forget about it! Once you beat level six, the boards reset. My high score is around 60,000. Not so great but hey, this is a HARD game.

Edited by opeygon

You're right, the arcade / MAME version reacts a bit odd to diagonals. Seems like any new direction you take overrides the old one even if the old one is still active.

I.e.: You're on a ladder going up, and while holding up, you press to the left (easy when playing MAME with the keyboard). If you can go left here, Peter Pepper will go left. But if you can't go left, Peter Pepper will stop rather than continue to go up. Now if you can go left, Peter Pepper will go left, even though you're still pressing up as well. But if you release up and press it again while still holding left, Peter Pepper will stop if he can't go up, and he won't continue to go left even if he can.

I love this game, too. The Intellivision version is very good. This is an example of an INTV game kicking the crap out of the Atari 2600 version, which is pretty weak.

The Colecovision version is probably be best home version on the classic (pre-crash) systems, and it is fabulous.

Do you like the Burgertime sequels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ElLcSbDa4

Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIT8FKzoyG4&feature=related

Super Burgertime

The clock is cool, but why did he put the Bugertime graphics crooked? If you "see seller's other items" he's selling this same clock with other games/characters (Galaga, cartoons, etc) and they're all straight. ??????

Lots of old arcade games used 4-way joysticks in the original cabinets. Burgertime would be an example, because there is no use for diagonals in the control scheme. Most all d-pads and generic joysticks are 8-way devices, so they can cause unpredictable controls when used with games designed with 4-ways in mind.

You're right, the arcade / MAME version reacts a bit odd to diagonals. Seems like any new direction you take overrides the old one even if the old one is still active.

I've been playing Burgertime on MAME quite a bit recently (with my NES Advantage joystick) and I've experienced this as well. Thanks for the heads up. I always thought that was just how the game was coded and it was something I needed to get used to in order to get better. I guess I need to go find myself a 4-way joystick or learn to be more precise.