IGNORED

Trying to hook up Atari 2600 to computer using Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850

Random Terrain

I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850 TV thingy that Dell sent with my computer. I finally have my computer desk area set up so I can hook up my Atari 2600 using the thing, but the Atari 2600 'screen' flashes and there is something like a full second or two of lag.

Does anyone know how I can clear up the flashing and get rid of the lag? I went Googling, but couldn't find anything that was helpful.

Thanks.

Update: Lag has been eliminated, but I still need to get rid of the flashing and wiggling:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kENF5OeCELQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kENF5OeCELQ

Update #2: The problem has been fixed. Here's what it looks like now:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqJWxAji5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqJWxAji5w

I have a Hauppauge USB thingy that I don't really use. But I do remember that Hauppauge's WinTV (I think that's the name) app includes a "game mode" option that you can select. It's meant to eliminate the lag.

Thanks. My thingy doesn't seem to have that.

I have a PCI version of a WinTV device, so this may not help, but it works with third-party TV tuner software, which may work better than the bundled software.

Thanks. Don't know if this counts, but I also tried it with Windows Media Center and it looks just as bad on there.

I also hooked up the Atari to the back of my HDTV just to see what that would look like and it flashes with horizontal strips of crud and makes some kind of hacking/hissing sound about once a second. Kind of sounds like a pissed off vampire.

I have a Hauppauge USB thingy that I don't really use. But I do remember that Hauppauge's WinTV (I think that's the name) app includes a "game mode" option that you can select. It's meant to eliminate the lag.

Thanks. My thingy doesn't seem to have that.

Yeah, WinTV is an app that Hauppauge sells, so they don't often give it away with their hardware. It's the only app that I discovered that could eliminate the lag.

Under Advanced Options, if I have analog channel 3 already tuned in, Use Game Mode for Analog appears. I had to restart the computer to make it work, but now the lag is gone!

The only problem I'm having is the flashing/flickering and constant rippling. I'll post a new thread asking about the best video capture program, then I'll make a video, upload it to YouTube and post it here so you can see what it looks like (unless WinTV v7 can record video that YouTube can handle).

Update: I recorded a short video with WinTV v7 and YouTube is uploading it. It's not choking on it, so I guess I don't need another program to record video.

Here's something a person said at another web site about the problem:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343448-Flashing-and-wiggling-screen-with-Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR-850?p=2140246&viewfull=1#post2140246

The Atari 2600 (although invented less than 2 miles from here) was not a stable NTSC video source. It was intended for playback on a fast lock TV set. Not for capture. Recording devices expect stable spec video.

I'm sure a 2600 forum would have some who have solved this issue. I'm thinking frame sync.

Try running it through a VCR.

Thanks. I just tried it and it doesn't fix the problem. I also played a tape and it played OK, so at least we know something is working on analog channel 3.

In case it matters, I'm using one of these:

http://atariage.com/...uct_detail&p=42

detail_42_rca_ftype_detail.jpg

I wonder if that might be messing things up. I'm sure I have one of those switch boxes in a box somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Update: Nope. Found one and tried it. Didn't help.

Does it do that when plugged into your TV?

When plugged into an old TV, it looks OK. But it does some kind of flashing when plugged directly into an LCD HDTV using the Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter.

Does it happen with all carts?

It does it with the few cartridges I have tried.

http://www.shspvr.com/ is the web site I used to find REAL good info on hauppauge product usage.

As for your video itself, it looks like a good capture, but almost as if it is TOO much of a signal. Do you have another 2600 to try?

I did see a couple of posts on that site about flashing video, one mentioned on areas of the screen with bright colors.

If you go through a VCR, does the vcr have any settings to fiddle with display?

http://www.shspvr.com/ is the web site I used to find REAL good info on hauppauge product usage.

As for your video itself, it looks like a good capture, but almost as if it is TOO much of a signal. Do you have another 2600 to try?

I did see a couple of posts on that site about flashing video, one mentioned on areas of the screen with bright colors.

If you go through a VCR, does the vcr have any settings to fiddle with display?

Thanks for the link and info, but I just fixed the problem. :) :party: :party: :party: :party:

I have a broken DVD recorder and running it through there didn't fix anything, just like the VCRs and a little RF Modulator that kind of looks like this, but there's something I didn't try until now.

The broken DVD recorder has S-Video output, so I plugged that into the little RF Modulator which has S-Video input, then ran the coaxial cable from the RF Modulator to the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-85 and now I'm getting a stable picture!

Here's what I did in case it might help others or in case I forget:

1. Atari 2600 connected to broken DVD recorder using a Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter.

2. S-Video cable connected from broken DVD recorder to the RF Modulator.

3. Left and Right RCA cables connected from broken DVD recorder to the RF Modulator.

4. Coaxial cable connected from RF Modulator to Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-85.

Here's what it looks like now:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqJWxAji5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqJWxAji5w

• Like 1

Excellent great job! Also good for you for detailing it and breaking it down. Often people have a issue, many people post suggestions trying to help then the OP posts "Fixed, Thanks!"

AND THAT'S IT lol! Nice to see you sharing your method. BTW there seems to be a lot of sound feedback that increases during the video, or is that just from recording?

Excellent great job! Also good for you for detailing it and breaking it down. Often people have a issue, many people post suggestions trying to help then the OP posts "Fixed, Thanks!"

AND THAT'S IT lol! Nice to see you sharing your method. BTW there seems to be a lot of sound feedback that increases during the video, or is that just from recording?

Thanks. There seems to be a louder hiss in the fixed version, not just when recording. I don't know if it's the DVD recorder or the RCA cables or both.