IGNORED

RetroDuo Portable Video Review - Portable SNES/NES 2-in-1

Hey guys, I thought I'd share with you my video review of the newly released RetroDuo Portable. This unit is the third of the portable SNES clones, but is third time a charm? I've split this review into two parts - hardware review and games compatibility stress test. I should have the second part up tomorrow. When I do, I'll add it to this thread.

for now, the hardware review

And again, for those curious on my thoughts on the other two portable SNES clones:

Yobo FC-16 GO

Hyperkin Supaboy

• Like 1

Jeeze, I don't know. They all have their pros and cons. The best AV preformance goes to FC-16 Go but its screen is junk and it doesnt have SNES controller ports. Then again, the 2.4Ghz wireless controllers it comes with are quite excellent. the Supaboy looks cool, but is bulky, as an irritating buzz and you can't use SNES controllers with it when its in portable mode. The RDP has a battery that lasts and lasts, but it's dpad is pretty bad and it has the worst video output of the three.

If I could only have one, the answer would be: a real SNES or Super Famicom lol

but that's not the point of these portables!

• Like 1

Do the retroduo portable or supaboy provide enough power to the controller port for the SN ProgramPad? I remember having trouble with the original retroduo.

Also, could the darkness of certain video outputs be related to a single composite video-out being split between the internal and external screen (in a poorly designed way)? I notice the retroduo has a 'screen off button'--if it's not just a 'backlight off button' maybe this brightens the video out. Though I do seem to recall my old retro duo console having very dark composite out.

What gets me, is that it seems like nobody's putting quite enough design testing in, or gathering feedback on previous devices. With SNES portables, they're getting all the hard stuff right, but failing on the simple elements.

Edited by Reaperman

What gets me, is that it seems like nobody's putting quite enough design testing in, or gathering feedback on previous devices. With SNES portables, they're getting all the hard stuff right, but failing on the simple elements.

This is pretty common in all clones really. I used to get excited hearing of a new clone, but now I have become very cynical about new clones. There is at least always one issue where your like "really? they screwed that up?"

I am not sure if Satoshi Matrix mentioned it in his review I still haven't checked it out yet, but the RDP is just the Pokefami DX with a slightly different case.

The most common problem it seems with these portables is the D-pad. Although the SupaBoy's d-pad is actually not bad. The FC-16 Go and from what Satoshi Matrix said the RDP have bad d-pads. I think the biggest problem is these are designed often on a very small R&D budget and engineered exclusively in China. I am not saying Chinese engineers are bad, I am sure some of them are great, but often not the ones designing these products it seems.

I have asked before why not have a U.S. engineer design and just have them made in China? They told me straight up its way too expensive. The only clone company I know that did this was Messiah and guess where they are now? Out of business. The GenNEX was probably best looking clone made, but it was expensive. $60 for the system and 1 controller. Plus the NOAC at the time was pretty poor, its compatibility wasn't as good as newer clones.

I have asked before why not have a U.S. engineer design and just have them made in China? They told me straight up its way too expensive. The only clone company I know that did this was Messiah and guess where they are now? Out of business. The GenNEX was probably best looking clone made, but it was expensive. $60 for the system and 1 controller. Plus the NOAC at the time was pretty poor, its compatibility wasn't as good as newer clones.

The clone situation is a shame, to be sure. Messiah didn't do itself any favors in the marketing department, either. They promised a Royale with Cheese and they gave us a McDouble.

Alright guys, here's the much anticipated part 3 where I showcase and stress test the NES RetroPort that the RDP comes with. Which NES games will it play well, which will it fail miserably at? Come find out!

I had hoped to make this the final installment, but I ran out of time that youtube will allow. So therefore, I'll be bringing you guys one final video installment where I'll showcase a few more games people have asked me if they run on the RDP and give my final thoughts and verdict on the RDP.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...